Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1338660 Posts in 61059 Topics- by 52542 Members - Latest Member: darknightsstudio

May 25, 2018, 08:17:41 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUndermine - procedurally generated survival horror
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Undermine - procedurally generated survival horror  (Read 13496 times)
snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2018, 02:27:47 pm »

In other news, I'm pleased to announce a new addition to the team: Dan Hunter! Dan worked as a VFX artist on Bioshock 2 and Halo 4, among other things. I'm really excited to have him on board, I just know he'll help bring the visuals to the next level and beyond!

You check out Dan's impressive demo reel here:

Welcome Dan! Toast Left

Thaumaturge
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10:42 pm »

Congratulations on the new team-member! I hope that you work well together. ^_^

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2018, 04:18:36 am »

Totally overhauled the toxic blood particles for enemies. There's now support for both light and heavy bleeding, depending on which weapon they're hit with. As well, blood particles now emit from slightly within the mesh, where previously they would emit from the bounds of the hitbox, often looking like they were emitting from thin air.

Here's the "light" blood emission:

Thaumaturge
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »

Oh yes, that looks much better, to my eye! I looks appropriately "fluid" and "material", I think. ^_^

My only (rather minor) critique is that--especially for "light" blood emission--is that the blood appears to be firing out from the enemies at a rather high speed. I might suggest slowing down the movement of the particles a little. However, I may well be off on that, and even if not, your intended aesthetic may direct otherwise.

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2018, 04:08:59 am »

My only (rather minor) critique is that--especially for "light" blood emission--is that the blood appears to be firing out from the enemies at a rather high speed. I might suggest slowing down the movement of the particles a little. However, I may well be off on that, and even if not, your intended aesthetic may direct otherwise.

Fair point. I do like things to be a little bit over the top but this may be a tad much Smiley

snugsound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: Today at 04:03:05 pm »

Nothing really exciting to report lately, I've mostly just been focused on reducing build time as it was going far beyond "coffee break" time and well into "lunch break" territory. (I'm talking 40+ minutes in some cases!)

The biggest culprit seems to be shader compilation (and/or compression) time. Specifically, the number of uber-shader variants that are getting included... like 360mb (uncompressed) worth!

The first thing I did is set up a build script so I can at least continue working while building. The build script basically calls Unity via command line against a separate working directory. Nothing fancy, I'm just using Unity's standard BuildPipeline, but I've also built in support for doing standalone vs. Steam builds.

I'm now doing a bit of clean-up trying to strip out any WIP-ish stuff that's causing unused materials, and therefore shaders/variants, to be included (i.e. inactive game objects in prefabs and the like).

Last but not least I plan to install an SSD dedicated to the project, and perhaps upgrade my CPU as well. Currently, I'm running an AMD FX-6100 (3.3ghz 6-core), but I'm seeing an FX-8350 (4ghz 8-core) on sale at NewEgg...  Undecided

Oh and I finally got around to refreshing images on Steam and the website! I think I can capture some even better shots, but it's certainly an improvement over what was there. I'm still working on capturing some video--the build time issue is making it especially annoying to make small edits/revisions--but will hopefully wrap that up soon esp as I get the issue under control.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic