Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1301504 Posts in 57991 Topics- by 49057 Members - Latest Member: mrlimppickle

June 22, 2017, 05:50:58 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsUndermine - procedurally generated survival horror
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Undermine - procedurally generated survival horror  (Read 3825 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:09 am »

After playing around with some splat shaders, I ended up going with ProCore's PolyBrush tool, as it provides the ability to "paint" textures (by vertex) directly within Unity. It's still in beta, but so far it's fit the bill perfectly.

Ah, I see--thank you for elaborating. ^_^

Hmm... I gather then that these shaders do indeed apply to the entirety of the level-geometry? Might it not be a little less performance intensive to apply them only to special "edging" geometry? (That said, I'm far from an expert in shaders, so I may well be very mistaken about that. For one, it may well be that the implementation within the shaders has some means of cutting down on texture-samplings when away from "splatted" areas.)

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
snugsound
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »

Hmm... I gather then that these shaders do indeed apply to the entirety of the level-geometry? Might it not be a little less performance intensive to apply them only to special "edging" geometry? (That said, I'm far from an expert in shaders, so I may well be very mistaken about that. For one, it may well be that the implementation within the shaders has some means of cutting down on texture-samplings when away from "splatted" areas.)

It's a pretty even trade-off for now in that we're only using this shader (with 8 input textures) for the ground, where we previously had 2 separate ground materials with 4 input textures each. If we start blending walls, ceilings, etc. then yeah I'd prob look at using simpler shaders for tiles that have no blending. That said, I'm no shader expert either (maybe this is an excuse to try to become one)... I suspect there are cases where using a "heavier" but well-written shader might actually a better choice, esp. once you take other things like draw calls into consideration.

Undermine
Thaumaturge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »

Fair enough--all of that makes sense, I think!

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
nathy grrrl
Level 3

SLC Punk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »

Oof cool! Gonna follow this.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic