Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:30:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFISH - An old-school FPS with a hook. Now with a demo!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: FISH - An old-school FPS with a hook. Now with a demo!  (Read 24763 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

Adding some edible fruits because... why not?

Fits well with the whole tropical island theme.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:28 AM »

Yes I love the little face eating the banana.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »

I love the art style and can't wait to see the hook in action!
CorgiCommander
Level 0

The Commander of Corgis!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »

This is a pretty unique art style! Also, giant enemy crab.

CEO of Stormy Nights Interactive. Programmer, Artist, and Designer.

Breeze in the Clouds DevLog
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59947
gamesthatcouldbeworse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »

Has the information-bar at the bottom a fix size or is it stretchable? I also considered to use that classical style but it's more complex to make it "responsible" for different aspect ratios.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:54 AM »

Has the information-bar at the bottom a fix size or is it stretchable? I also considered to use that classical style but it's more complex to make it "responsible" for different aspect ratios.

TBH that's something I still have to look into. Trying to make it stretchable, but for now it's only looking right on 16:9.
Although unlike Quake or even DOOM, it should always cover the same % of the screen.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 04:51:37 AM »

Game is still alive and here's a more useful update:

The hookshot

Weirdly enough, the idea for the hookshot only came to me once I thought about the enemies being fish and the main character being a fisherman. Implementing it was quite easy, took me one afternoon thanks to Unreal's CableComponent plugin. Polishing it... that's another story.

Everyone seems to be comparing it to Overwatch's Roadhog since you can pull enemies with it, but I was thinking more of Zelda when I did this. As in Zelda it can be used to pull enemies, items and to move through the world.

My first idea, was obviously the most complicated one. Being able to swing around and do weird tricks with it even, but I soon learned that game physics usually don't always work as you think they would. Swinging mechanics is something that I gave up on very early. The hook latches on pretty much everything so there's really no reason to swing the cable if you can reach places by just pointing at it.

PHYSICS!!

Still, I wanted some freedom and the player was able to throw the hook and choose when to pull/be pulled by it by pressing the button again. There is a big problem with this approach though: there's a lot of things that the player can do in the mean time between throwing the hook and being pulled by it. For instance: jump, move around, shoot at enemies, getting shot, die, fall into a hole... and probably many things that I didn't think of but I'm sure players will.

One thing I tried to address was moving around and having the cable colliding with stuff. I got it working and I'm very proud of it but I can't find many gameplay uses for this other than puzzles. And while I want the game to have some simple puzzles, this is a game about shooting things so that's what I'm focusing. Soon I realized why most games out there don't let you do anything between throwing your hookshot and getting pulled by it.

Pretty cool but not very useful

So, now the hook works just like in Zelda/Overwatch: you point to a place and get pulled/pulls. With one difference: you can hook almost anything.

In Zelda games, you can only use your hookshot (or clawshot) on specific targets, I considered doing that at the begining but I want the player to use the hookshot in situations other than just "Ok, I need the hook to reach that place so I'm gonna use it now", which is also why it's showing up on the screen all the time. You can still hide it if you want cause... why not?

The fact that you can hook almost anything should give me enough trouble already. Won't be easy making levels that can't be easily broken without using invisible walls. Now, I can't promisse that I won't be using invisible walls, but I'll avoid them as much as I can.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

are you against players taking shortcuts with the hook? How far is its range?
Is there any threat to going higher up? (eg bird enemies, collapsing walls)?

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »

are you against players taking shortcuts with the hook? How far is its range?
Is there any threat to going higher up? (eg bird enemies, collapsing walls)?

Nope, I'm all for players taking shortcuts with it, I'm trying to build levels with that in mind. It's specially good for secrets. I'm trying to find a range that's not short enough so it feels useless but not big enough that can be easily exploited and make me feel the need to put huge walls in every level. It's very likely that I'll still change it during development, I've already increased the range once after a playtest with some friends.

I haven't thought about putting a threat on high places, that might be a good idea.

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »

This looks really cool. I'm a fan of the visual style, black outlines and stuff. Nice hookshot too Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »

This is looking extremely cool. Awesome work Smiley

I get some vibes from that first person cowboy game Lucasarts made back in the day. Is that an influence too?

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »

This is looking extremely cool. Awesome work Smiley

I get some vibes from that first person cowboy game Lucasarts made back in the day. Is that an influence too?

Definitively. I still have a CD of Outlaws here, such an underrated gem. Smiley

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »

Trying to catch that last train to greenlight and guarantee a Steam Release.
Any help would be appreciated: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912247403

Oh and:

Music is being done by 2 brazilian musicians from Estudio Cafofo (http://www.estudiocafofo.com).
Trying to get a mix of Samba and jazz, Cowboy Bebop is a big influence.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »

So, Greenlight is hard. After a week this is what I got:

Admittedly I haven't done much to promote it out of posting it on forums and on my twitter account. I'll see what I can do about that.

I got a lot of new people to know the game and received a lot of good feedback thought. A lot of people are complaining that the HUD is too simple and while I intended to change that in the future, it has become a priority now.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »

Enemy variety is one of the things that made games like DOOM and Quake so fun and it's something I'm being very careful with in FISH. There are currently 3 types of enemies in the game, which are the weakest and most common ones. The problem is that one is a melee enemy and the other 2 have hitscan attacks. I felt that the game needed a weak projectile enemy to have a better balance.

After thinking of the possibilities, I couldn't come up with anything that would make sense in this world. Right now most of the planed enemies with projectile attacks are using things like rockets, grenades or canonballs. So I decided to change one of the enemies to have projectile attacks, just make the bullets show up! And it felt much better!

Also added some trail to the bullets to make them more visible

Being able to see the bullets and avoid them feels pretty good and gives a sense of fairness to the game. So I decided to make the other hitscan enemy, projectile based.

Both have different patterns of movement and attack. And now there's no need for the player to take cover (even thought it can be helpful some times).

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

The game was greenlit! Valve's process is very weird but, at least it can be released on Steam now. Smiley
Thanks everyone that voted for it!

Been working on new levels and sending the game to competitions and publishers. More about the development soon

gamesthatcouldbeworse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »

Toast Right

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

Still alive!

The biggest complaints I've heard were about the HUD looking too simple and about the lack of gore. Considering I'm making something for DOOM fans, I guess it makes sense to have some gore. So I've been working on a new look for the HUD and in adding some blood.

Since I don't want the game to be "edgy" so I'm going for a more goofy kind of violence, blood in unrealistic quantities and sushi flying around when the enemies explode.

Watcha think? Smiley

justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

congrats on the greenlight! Gonna keep an eye on this one Smiley

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »

BOW AND ARROWS!

I want each weapon to be unique in FISH, no stronger version of other weapons, so the latest addition to the game is something that seems to be very trendy in games these days: a bow!

The distance and the strength of the arrow depends on how much time you hold the string.

And of course you can get your arrows back. Hence why you can't carry many arrows (5 for now, but that number may change in the future).

From enemies too.

And of course you can have fire arrows by shooting a torch or something!

We're going full Zelda.

You can see that the bow is a very flexible weapon.

Q&A
How is the Pescador pulling the arrow with just one arm?
He's using his mouth, something like this:

How is that possible?
He's just that badass.
And btw that is possible! Check out Matt Stutzman, he got silver in the 2012 London Summer Olympics and he holds the world record for longest accurate shot in archery.

That makes me feel motivated to reach my goals. What an awesome fella.
Let's leave it at this inspiring note, see you next time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic