Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:35:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLooking for advice on design of a game I'm working on
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for advice on design of a game I'm working on  (Read 996 times)
Andy@TCS
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »

Hey everybody. I'm currently starting a project with a small team, and, as head designer, I've been making some documents describing the overview of the game and prototypes to be made. As I am an early game designer, I figured it would be a good idea to ask for constructive criticism on how I am going about things. I want to refine the initial prototype as much as possible before I move forward. Anyway, I have two PDFs, one on the overview of the project, and another serving as the rough draft for the first prototype. I would appreciate it if you guys would give them a look and provide some feedback. Thanks!

https://triplecometstudios.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/full-metal-spitzer-design-documents/
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »

Anyway, I have two PDFs, one on the overview of the project, and another serving as the rough draft for the first prototype.

For a good example of a "rough draft" document i'd recommend taking a look at the following ( 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ) .. it's easy-to-read & to-the-point.
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »

For a good example of a "rough draft" document i'd recommend taking a look at the following ( 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ) .. it's easy-to-read & to-the-point.

^ This is an excellent example of a nice and concise GDD.

In your documents you try to explain everything and the reasons behind every design decision, and while at first glance you would think that that is a good thing, it´s not, truth is, almost nobody likes reading GDD, and you should put everything in the most concise way posible, just explain how things should work and that's it. Also try to put more things in drawings, is easier to understand and it saves a lot of words. Also don't put excerpts from other books, unless absolutely have to; and in your particular case it wasn't necesary too explain the decision of the style of the documents. Focus on explaining the game the best you can while keeping it the shortest you can.

Keep doing more GDD or iterations of the same thing and eventually you will get the hang of it, all these mistakes are common when you are starting as a game designer, so don't worry too much about it Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic