Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:23:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJuno's Journey - a simple platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Juno's Journey - a simple platformer  (Read 840 times)
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »

I recommend a gamepad, but it can also be played with keyboard (arrowkeys/space/control) just be prepared for some wonky'ness in that case. It plays best with a controller as of right now.

Our cat disappeared last winter for three days, we figure that this is what pretty much happened in those three days. Butterflies are points.

Play here

And here's a short preview video..

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »

I got stuck at the screen that says "Play" with instructions on it. You have to click it several times? Also I got stuck in a wall and died, if you are going to make a platformer work on making the physics tight or you stand no chance.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »

I got stuck at the screen that says "Play" with instructions on it. You have to click it several times? Also I got stuck in a wall and died, if you are going to make a platformer work on making the physics tight or you stand no chance.
No, and stand no chance of what?

Manky
Level 0

Who is this?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »

There's something very pleasant about how you've presented this game with the music and nature.  The initial vibe is nice!

From a technical standpoint, I'll admit this game is pretty rough around the edges. The collision-handling can be a little finnicky (I don't think wall-jumping was intended!) and the immediate transitions can be a little jarring. I get the impression, though, that the physics logic was put together at a pretty low-level, and if that's the case you've done a pretty good job getting everything to work.  Having moving platforms that mostly work is actually quite impressive!

It'll help a lot for myself and other critics to share a bit more about your level of experience and the tools you're working with, as it's hard to know what kind of advice to give without that frame of reference.

It'd also be nice to feel like collecting butterflies makes some difference, even if it's as simple as displaying "perfect!" at the end of the game. As it is, it doesn't seem to make much different whether I collect all butterflies or if I don't bother at all.

Going into future projects, you may want to do some research into some of the Physics stuff, as tightening up these issues would go a long way into having a more polished-feeling game.  Rodrigo Monteiro's Guide to Implementing 2D Platformers was really helpful for me back when I was playing around with platformers.

Other random observations
  • Having a bright yellow butterfly right at the beginning is actually an excellent design choice. It's immediately the most noticeable thing on screen and my immediate reaction is to grab it, thus teaching my the central goal of the game.
  • The animations are quite nice!  I think a lot of that atmosphere stuff I mentioned comes from how natural the characters movements are.
  • It's a bit hard to read where my hitbox is.  Juno has a pretty long frame and it's not immediately obvious whether the tail and the neck are part of her collision.  Because of this, it's tricky knowing how close you can get to the dogs without dying.
  • I really liked what you've done with the crow behavior!  There's a moment of intimidation when you first see how they move, but it's simple enough that you can quickly figure out the timing.  It was actually very satisfying as a player finding the "safe spot" between two crows and having the game acknowledge this by not killing me when I ran to it. The last stretch is scary to run through, but actually pretty easy to pull off. Very well done with these!

Overall, there's definitely a lot of polish needed, but I believe you'll improve at that with more experience.  This was a simple little game that made me smile, so kudos to you.  Beer!

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:54:47 PM »

There's something very pleasant about how you've presented this game with the music and nature.  The initial vibe is nice!

From a technical standpoint, I'll admit this game is pretty rough around the edges. The collision-handling can be a little finnicky (I don't think wall-jumping was intended!) and the immediate transitions can be a little jarring. I get the impression, though, that the physics logic was put together at a pretty low-level, and if that's the case you've done a pretty good job getting everything to work.  Having moving platforms that mostly work is actually quite impressive!

It'll help a lot for myself and other critics to share a bit more about your level of experience and the tools you're working with, as it's hard to know what kind of advice to give without that frame of reference.

It'd also be nice to feel like collecting butterflies makes some difference, even if it's as simple as displaying "perfect!" at the end of the game. As it is, it doesn't seem to make much different whether I collect all butterflies or if I don't bother at all.

Going into future projects, you may want to do some research into some of the Physics stuff, as tightening up these issues would go a long way into having a more polished-feeling game.  Rodrigo Monteiro's Guide to Implementing 2D Platformers was really helpful for me back when I was playing around with platformers.

Other random observations
  • Having a bright yellow butterfly right at the beginning is actually an excellent design choice. It's immediately the most noticeable thing on screen and my immediate reaction is to grab it, thus teaching my the central goal of the game.
  • The animations are quite nice!  I think a lot of that atmosphere stuff I mentioned comes from how natural the characters movements are.
  • It's a bit hard to read where my hitbox is.  Juno has a pretty long frame and it's not immediately obvious whether the tail and the neck are part of her collision.  Because of this, it's tricky knowing how close you can get to the dogs without dying.
  • I really liked what you've done with the crow behavior!  There's a moment of intimidation when you first see how they move, but it's simple enough that you can quickly figure out the timing.  It was actually very satisfying as a player finding the "safe spot" between two crows and having the game acknowledge this by not killing me when I ran to it. The last stretch is scary to run through, but actually pretty easy to pull off. Very well done with these!

Overall, there's definitely a lot of polish needed, but I believe you'll improve at that with more experience.  This was a simple little game that made me smile, so kudos to you.  Beer!
Very nice review, and you're quite right. This is my first platform game since.. the commodore 64.. and I did indeed forget a few crucial things since it has been, uuuh-oh, 25 years or so?! One thing we already knew back then, was to keep the sprite straight at the bottom, or at least always touching the point of collision on all frames. Juno is doing neither. So I had to wing it, with all sorts of nonsense, but still.. I have things to learn in GameMaker Studio, which was the tool used, little things, I don't hope that will ever end. The drawings were done in ArtRage with a stylus and the music was made with FL studio. But this was not only my first platformer in GM:S, but also an attempt to join it with ArtRage in the same act. So all in all a bit of an experiment. One that has to be taken from the bottom again, instead of wasting more bullets on saving the scraps from a wrong starting point. Juno's journey can be completed with both keyboard and controller, and I actually find the occasional collision wonkiness kind of funny. Like when you're stuck in the tail or nose jumping a wall. So.. Anyway..

I thank thee for a nice constructive review, Manky. Thanks again Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic