Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411887 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 07:16:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrivate Party - an RPG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Private Party - an RPG  (Read 19346 times)
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »

I think to help you decide and to help us give you feedback, you should do this entire image in 3 separate styles (all black outlines, single-color outlines, multi-color outlines) and then decide from there.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »

Well, each has different advantages. I think you're right with the multi-color outlines, especially as you like to add a lot of details on the sprite and I think they are more clear with multi-colored outlines. The only thing is being careful they still stand out against all backgrounds. (Another possibility is making inner outlines colored and outer ones black, to try and keep the best of both worlds, but I don't know if that works).

(Btw, sometimes at a glance I think the ghost's hat is a traffic cone. But I thought that was neat!)

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »

Yeah always put your different styles against a bunch of different backgrounds to make sure they stand out.

My game's art direction inherently solves the issue of object separation which is something I'm really proud of, but I definitely remember struggling with it when I was doing pixel art.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2017, 05:50:53 AM »

Hey guys! thanks again for the feedbacks! you're awesome!

I did three quick versions of that picture, each one had its cons and pros:

Black outline:

Overall, I think it looks good, however the green bird-lady got her beak a little messed up (Doki*, the blue bird would also have this problem in the side view).

Single color outline:

This one is similar to the black outline, it has the same problem with the small details. But, the difference is that the colored outline gives some sprites a NES look (I think), because of its limitation with the colors. It gives the sprites some sort of style, the only problems are the tiny details on some sprites.

The multi-color one (I won't lie, my favorite)

This one allows me to give a little bit of more details to the sprites. I still think some of the characters kind of looked better with the single color (Charlotte and Lola, the two females with hair). I don't know if it's because I first made them with single color outline, or if they actually looked better before. (thoughts?)

Two outlines:

This one looks cool, it gives a super smash bros feeling. But, i think it wouldn't work with my style. Besides, some of the girls said it made them look chubby.

So... what do you think? Which one do you prefer?

Oh! one more thing... as you can see, some chars have outlines in the foot, some don't (to make they feel like they're actually touching the ground). Which one is better?

Oh! another one thing, I've been thinking,, "Kino" (the main character) and "Doki" (the blue bird, playable character) sound to similar.
So I'm thinking of changing it. What do you think? I am overthinking it?

Oh! another one thing! The last one, I swear. Kino, blue one with brown hat, doesn't have a sprite looking directly forwards (I couldn't draw that), the closest he gets is that sprite above. Does it looks weird?

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »

I'm not a fan of the single-color outline or the double outline.

The other two I literally can't decide between. You might want to put the different styles against various in-game backgrounds and see how they look.

Your three questions:

-I prefer an outline below the foot unless they are actually supposed to be IN the ground

-Kino and Doki literally don't sound anything like each other

-I really like how Kino looks and have never thought that he needed to be facing directly forward

Oh and I asked a friend of mine to give feedback, she says this:

I kinda lean towards single color outline most. Double outline mutes out exterior details too much, like the head feathers for the birds. Single black seems too plain, too elementary, too standard, if that makes sense. Multicolor is also nice, but I feel like single color could be a powerful way to manipulate the audience's interpretation of the character. A blue outline could influence the viewer to perceive the character in a different way than a red or yellow outline or what have you

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

Thank you and your friend. Tell her to follow my devlog, I liked her feedback!

but I feel like single color could be a powerful way to manipulate the audience's interpretation of the character. A blue outline could influence the viewer to perceive the character in a different way than a red or yellow outline or what have you

I had exactly this in mind a while ago! The only thing is that I'm not sure if I can color manipulate every character (but I'll try).

Based on what you've said (and on my gut), I've made a new version:

It's the "single color but not quite". Theoretically, it's the best of the two worlds. But, it may be inconsistent in practice (some characters have outline that is their main color but darker (green bird, Dina),while other have outlines that has nothing to do with the other colors (Charlotte (the blonde girl), the ghost)).

I think I'll stick with this one (it's quite consistent, right?). But, I'm still open to suggestions.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »

I like it! Doki and the green bird stick out a little more than the others though. Dino might stick out a little more than the others as well. Slightly lighter outline should do the trick.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »

I like the individualized outline the best, as well. Nice work!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2017, 04:40:08 AM »

Thanks guys! The sprites still need some tweaks, I'll experiment some different outlines colors, to see their effect. But, for now, I'll go back to finish the battle system. (I'm postponing it again...)
Soon I'll be back asking for more help XD

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:39 AM »

Just a quick fun update:

I was designing Kino's parents, they were looking good but... too young. In fact, they look younger than Kino.
Side by side to them, Kino looks big and clumsy instead of small and fragile.

Kino's father before I "enfatherficated" him :
(WIP)
Too cute and young for a retired warrior.

After enfatherfication:
(WIP)
classic "reading newspaper using a hat and wearing glasses father"

His mother, I think I'll let her look young.
(WIP)

But I still have to enchildfy Kino, what is quite weird since I'm used to his face now:
  -> something like this (also WIP)

BONUS 1:
scraped feels good flower:

BONUS-SPOILER:
Kino's uncle, Galakbuster:

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2017, 04:22:20 AM »

Hello people!

It's been a while right?
I was depressed nobody replied to my previous post
I was working in the game this whole time and it was very productive!

So productive that I even start planning things:

Soon:
The 2º playtest (battle system only);

A little after (probably this year):
The 3º pre-DEMO playtest;

and that's it, that's all my planning.

So, the next playtest is coming.
Tell me if you are interested in testing/feed-backing me. (remember, it's free!)

Leaked footage of the 2º playtest

This is going to be the last sketchy playtest, the 3º one will actually look like a game Smiley

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:37 AM »

I'll playtest it! Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »

I'll playtest it! =) Those presents remind me of the ones in earthbound!

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »

Yay! Two playtesters already!

But it may take a while to come out. I just found out there's a little bit more to be done than just balancing the skills...

I'll playtest it! =) Those presents remind me of the ones in earthbound!

Yes! They are a little tribute.
There will only be one or two in the game though and it will be quite subtle.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »

I literally come to TIGSource to see if this topic got any new posts lmao

You know I'll test it! Just DM me on Twitter when it's ready.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »

I literally come to TIGSource to see if this topic got any new posts lmao

You know I'll test it! Just DM me on Twitter when it's ready.

Really ? You made my day!

I literally get worried every night wondering if people will actually enjoy my game.
At least, I know you'd tell me if I start ruining the game XD.

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »

Hello people!

This is just an "I'm alive" post. Because it's been a while since I last posted something.

How is Private Party going:

I've made some graphics, as I tweeted:

This is Dina's room. I just was trying to show the cool mirror effect...

This is Lola's Dance Club. I kind of stopped writing the battle system to sketch this area before I forgot my ideas.

This is just a throne room. It's not like the final boss will be on it or something...
Kino is wearing this clothes for no in-game reason. But I'll surely use this sprite in some part. Probably after the stocks scam, Idk

This one is just a variation from the autumn forest. It's like the summer evening forest.

The battle system is not finished yet because I didn't (and still don't) know how to do the deaths (when you lose).
Deciding this will influence deeply the rest of the game, the story, its complexity and its tone.

So I'm kind of procrastinating this one X)

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »

Hello people!

I have news about the game!!

I've decided to not make the DEMO, at least the way it was going to be.

At first, the DEMO would be the begging of the game. But it was giving me some trouble, since I am constantly modifying the rooms of the game. So I'd only be able to release the DEMO close to the game's final release. Besides, the game may have a slow start (I hope it won't though) and it would hurt the demo a lot.

So, the DEMO will be different now. It will be a game itself.

It will be kind of a prologue for the game.
It will use the same engine, graphics, etc. So it still serves as a demonstration of the game.
It will feature the main characters of the game in a way that won't hurt the original story (it will only add some details).

The demo will like 40-60 minutes long.
It will feature two bosses.
Some exclusive Side characters.

It's a little early to say anything, but I think it's going to be awesome!

Now, I just need to think of a title for it.
So, what do you think? Any suggestions, thoughts, encouraging words?

*I'll probably launch a DEMO 2 close to the game's launch as well, but with some singularities, but I'll talk about it later (much later).

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »

Sounds like a really nice idea! A prologue teaser demo to get people's interest makes sense to me.

My entire game is shorter than your demo, though!  Screamy Screamy Shocked Shrug

Hello people!

I have news about the game!!

I've decided to not make the DEMO, at least the way it was going to be.

At first, the DEMO would be the begging of the game. But it was giving me some trouble, since I am constantly modifying the rooms of the game. So I'd only be able to release the DEMO close to the game's final release. Besides, the game may have a slow start (I hope it won't though) and it would hurt the demo a lot.

So, the DEMO will be different now. It will be a game itself.

It will be kind of a prologue for the game.
It will use the same engine, graphics, etc. So it still serves as a demonstration of the game.
It will feature the main characters of the game in a way that won't hurt the original story (it will only add some details).

The demo will like 40-60 minutes long.
It will feature two bosses.
Some exclusive Side characters.

It's a little early to say anything, but I think it's going to be awesome!

Now, I just need to think of a title for it.
So, what do you think? Any suggestions, thoughts, encouraging words?

*I'll probably launch a DEMO 2 close to the game's launch as well, but with some singularities, but I'll talk about it later (much later).

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »

Sounds like a really nice idea! A prologue teaser demo to get people's interest makes sense to me.

I'm glad you're with me on that!

My demo you be longer than yours, but longer than your game? I don't know XD

It makes me think, am I making this too long?

Just for giving me an idea, how long do you people think a demo should last?

Or there is no such a thing as ideal duration of a demo?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic