Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:01:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrivate Party - an RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Private Party - an RPG  (Read 18952 times)
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »

Hello people!

I know it's been a while since I've updated this, but the game is still being made.College was getting tough so I had to slow the development down, but now I'm back on track.
I've being some slow improvements in the game. About that:

*The basic engine is done. But I still need to do some coding;

*I have done a LOT of sketches and some almost-okay-sprites;

*The music and sounds are still at the very beginning stage;

*I have some of the first area done, and some random areas;

*I don't have any battle done, and only one sketched;

*I don't have any foe done;

*The story is basically done, but I don't think I should tell details outside of the game;

I'll try to show things I've done on a fancy post. (Maybe today?)

see ya!

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »

Welcome back! That last skyline image you posted (previously) does look a lot better.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
TheGoatee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »

This looks like it could be pretty unique, following!

Jacob Wilkins- Freelance Multimedia Composer (Masochisia, Harmonia Saga, Crimson Trigger, ARMSMasters Animated Series)
Site: http://goateecomp.net
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/goateecomp
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-goatee-1
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 03:24:53 AM »

Good night folks !

Thanks for keeping following the game. You guys have no idea how inspiring your replies are. (or do you?)
Getting to the point, I said I would do a fancy post with updates and I intended with this to show some rooms and sprites. However turn out that most of the rooms and sprites aren't "showables" yet...
So I'll keep it small today and will show you guys only the main characters. Because even though their design are not quite finished, they're like on the "beta stage". (except for the first one, that is just a sketch) So, if you find some "bugs" in their designs, please tell me, because I am terrible when it comes to find mistakes on my own art.

In this game there are 4 main characters. 3 of them are playable (at least in the battles),the fourth one is the ghost on my profile pic.

The main character of the main characters is Kino.

Kino is a kid that has been cursed by a witch and now can't talk, just like 90% of the heros of RPGs. Just kidding, he's just shy, he probably will say something...

He may not be the stronger, or the smarter, or specially good at anything. But he is... well, he is important to the plot.

Now, we have Doki.

Unlike his friend, Doki is strong, smart and handsome. He is also the chosen one to save the world. Everybody likes him and everybody is counting on him to be the hero that will give them salvation. No pressure right?
I would like to point out that the "saving the world" is Doki's business so it's not the main plot. Saving the world is not the priority, after all.

And at last but not least, we have Charlotte.

Charlotte is just a regular girl that can't talk to strangers, can't stare the mirror for too long, can't go to school and can't ask why.
She lives with her caring (and a little bit overprotecting) grandmother. She has great powers but don't know why. All she wants in life is to finally know what's going on.

The ghost, I think I've shown every sprite I have of him... Let's talk about him later.

Did you like them? So don't let them die.

To make it organized, I'll explain the "dying is big deal" thing. On a next post.

So what do you guys think? The sprites are acceptable? Any suggestions? Questions?

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »

Good day people and happy 2017!
This is the first devlog of the year, so I'll take a look in what I did last year.

1. The game was born in July 07th, 2016 (it has almost 7 months);
2. Until this day I've done more than 200 sprites;
3. Even using game maker, I've done A LOT of coding;
4. I've tried to make some songs, but only like 1.75 of them don't suck;
5. I have written more devlogs in my computer than I've done here;
6. I still have a long way ahead; (of course, I underestimate the amount of work needed. Who don't?)

Now let's talk about the present.
About #5, I think I should make more devlogs, so what should or shouldn't I write in the devlogs? Tell me you thoughts!
Currently, I am working with the battles, the base code was the hardest thing to program in the game, but now it's just the fun part.

Actually most of the game is on it's "fun part" right now and...
I think it's a nice time to update the progress bar to 20%! Yay!

So... I think that's it.
If you have anything to say, don't hesitate! I always get super happy with new replies. (And it's important to the game as well)

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »

We can help you out with #4. Smiley

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »

We can help you out with #4. Smiley
Hmmm, I'll send you a PM (today, if I can)to discuss with you!

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »

Hello guys!
I want to update this devlog as much as I can, so I'll show some stuff I've done a while ago, stuff I'm not very confident about.
I'd appreciate if you share with me your thoughts about the graphics.

Fist, I have the items menu.

Back when I was coding it, I thought it would be cool to have two windows with different layouts. But now it just seems... poor. So I am changing so both look like the blue one.
And where I am asking for feedback? Well, what do you think about the overall? Are the colors all right? Is the menu ok?

The last one is simple. That three.

I have mixed feelings about this three. The same time I like it, I think it looks like something is wrong. Am I right or just wasting my time overthinking this?

Next time, I'll try to make gifs, since they are far more interesting.

HoffmanIV
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »

Hello guys!
I want to update this devlog as much as I can, so I'll show some stuff I've done a while ago, stuff I'm not very confident about.

Back when I was coding it, I thought it would be cool to have two windows with different layouts. But now it just seems... poor. So I am changing so both look like the blue one.
And where I am asking for feedback? Well, what do you think about the overall? Are the colors all right? Is the menu ok?

I have mixed feelings about this three. The same time I like it, I think it looks like something is wrong. Am I right or just wasting my time overthinking this?

I think if you absolutely had to change the coloring with the items menus, I'd play with color saturation and/or window background brightness to sort of visually draw attention to windows that are in the 'foreground', and to take attention away from windows in the 'background'.

The tree looks wrong because you're expecting to see the black outline continued throughout the leaves, but you use a dark purple instead.

Look at the outlined sprites in this picture, and notice one common thread they all share: they're objects that have collision detection or are meant to be interacted with in some fashion. It doesn't matter what the object color is, or what it's supposedly made out of ... every in-game object has the same outline to distinguish it from the background. Excellent spritework in my opinion though, man ... just do a bit more research on the style and you'll kill it. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:56:45 PM by HOFFY » Logged
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »

Cool! I'd love to see more of the characters and enemies in-game! I like the blue monster. Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 04:02:40 AM »

I think if you absolutely had to change the coloring with the items menus, I'd play with color saturation and/or window background brightness to sort of visually draw attention to windows that are in the 'foreground', and to take attention away from windows in the 'background'.

Hmmm... draw attention, you gave me an idea. I'll try something with shaders, let's see if I can make it work. Otherwise I'll stick with only color saturation.

The tree looks wrong because you're expecting to see the black outline continued throughout the leaves, but you use a dark purple instead.

Look at the outlined sprites in this picture, and notice one common thread they all share: they're objects that have collision detection or are meant to be interacted with in some fashion. It doesn't matter what the object color is, or what it's supposedly made out of ... every in-game object has the same outline to distinguish it from the background. Excellent spritework in my opinion though, man ... just do a bit more research on the style and you'll kill it. Smiley

Man! This outline thing is mind blowing, I haven't realized this. I was sticking to the good old: "does an outline here looks good?". I think this "rule" makes the game much more comprehensible to the player.
Thanks!

Cool! I'd love to see more of the characters and enemies in-game! I like the blue monster. Smiley
The first one? Thanks! I wasn't sure about his design but you gave me more confidence about him.

I have done some more NPCs, but I am not sure if I should show them. I mean, if I show everything the game will be no surprise for you guys. Do you guys think spoil the game should be a concern in a devlog?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:28 AM »

I think the sprites are looking fantastic! Especially the characters, Doki is so great. I think it is very good practice to always establish these visual/design rules throughout your game as HOFFY explained with the outlines. One thing that seems a little inconsistent is the text colour in the UI, generally a menu item will appear 'selected', 'highlighted' or 'un-highlighted' but there seem to be four colours being used in those menus. The suggestion to play with the saturation of the background menu would maybe fix this issue. I also find that the checked background makes it harder to read some of the text there, maybe you could use the kind of subtle gradient they use in many older menus or outlined text? Regarding spoilers I think it is great to keep some stuff behind closed doors but if you need feedback on something it might be worthwhile posting assuming not a huge percentage of your audience will see it here.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »

Hello guys!

I agree with HOFFY about the tree outline - I love the color and shape of it, but having those darker outlines should help make it feel more natural. The other thing about it is the shadow - if you notice the shadows of the trees in the pic that HOFFY posted, they have a dark inner shadow, and then a lighter outer shadow. I think something like that could help the tree feel more natural as well.

Regarding the menus - I have no problems with the colors, though I think maybe the checkered patterns make it kind of hard to read. Also, I'm not a fan of the yellow highlight on the blue background. Too bright/loud for my taste - maybe a slightly darker shade could be easier on the eyes?

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »

I think the sprites are looking fantastic! Especially the characters, Doki is so great. I think...

. . . wait what?

Doki is so great.

. . .

Really?! Oh, thanks! *Crying of pure joy*

But seriously, you guys hit my soft spot every time you say my characters don't suck. Smiley

About the colors, I was testing different colors on the texts, but later on I totally forgot about the consistency. Now I'm sticking to the: selected-black; unselected-gray. I also made the background of the menu a little bit more close to white, now I think it can be easily read. I'm also thinking on add "What to do?" above the "use" option.
I tried to post a print, but both photoshop and paint won't work today.

Regarding spoilers I think it is great to keep some stuff behind closed doors but if you need feedback on something it might be worthwhile posting assuming not a huge percentage of your audience will see it here.

I agree with you about the spoilers. So I decided I'll post everything I feel I should, leaving aside only the "super spoilery" things.

I agree with HOFFY about the tree outline - I love the color and shape of it, but having those darker outlines should help make it feel more natural. The other thing about it is the shadow - if you notice the shadows of the trees in the pic that HOFFY posted, they have a dark inner shadow, and then a lighter outer shadow. I think something like that could help the tree feel more natural as well.

Regarding the menus - I have no problems with the colors, though I think maybe the checkered patterns make it kind of hard to read. Also, I'm not a fan of the yellow highlight on the blue background. Too bright/loud for my taste - maybe a slightly darker shade could be easier on the eyes?

I'm doing some tweaks on the three and other sprites/tiles, I hope it turns out good. Oh! And I got totally rid of that annoying yellow of the menus.

Thanks for the feedback people!!

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »

I'd take a hard look at some tree references. The way you're shading your tree's foliage right now makes it look like a chewed up wad of bubblegum, rather than a bunch of leaves/flowers. Use some leaf shapes to separate the light and dark portions of your foliage. That should help a lot.

I like the look of the game overall. Nice, appealing style.Smiley

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »

Man, this tree is giving me the headaches!

I did other two versions of it:

But, I don't know. Maybe I should redo it from scratch. Anyway, which one? Left? Right? The first one?

Oh, and here is the new menu. (I forgot to open the second window, so it's almost worthless...)

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »

Hey!

Looking at the menus, I prefer the background of the top one. I think everything in there is more readable. I think it's because the squares are bigger so it looks less cluttered, and the colors of the squares are pretty close to each other which helps as well.

As for the tree, I think something that may be causing the tree to not fit well with the rest is the shading. The rest of the image has a more simple, low contrast shading. I edited here with an idea of how it could look. I also edited the colors of the trunk to the same colors used for the door and walls up there - repeating colors is great for the overall look to feel more cohesive. Also used a two color shadow like in Earthbound.

Also, another idea, avoiding stray pixels and keeping lighting direction in mind:

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »

Hello vitorlanna, and thanks for the feedback!

I think I'm insisting too much with this blue background, I'll either make the blue squares bigger, or just make all the menus/dialogs purple. Probably, I'll make everything uniform, just like the colors.

Speaking of which, I don't know why, but I always end up having too many colors. The trunk now is 4 times better, thanks for pointing that. I also like the shadow in the ground, I'll make something like that. Smiley

I still don't know what I'll do about the leaves, though.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »

I like that menu and highlighting a lot better!

Also, I think the new trees are definitely moving in the right direction. Of the two you posted, I prefer the left one.

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:40 AM »

I like that menu and highlighting a lot better!

Thanks! The menu is a little tiny bit different now , I hope it's better so I can move on to the next thing.

Also, I think the new trees are definitely moving in the right direction. Of the two you posted, I prefer the left one.
Really? I was about to pick the right one, because I thought the left one seemed blurry.
But now? I'm more confused than ever. (Btw, thanks for the feedback, it's really important to me, even when it makes me confused)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic