Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:46:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCritique my artstyle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my artstyle  (Read 2539 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

I'm a programmer and while I can't find an artist, I'm making my own art for my game,

Some honest feedback and some tips for improvement would be appreciated. Smiley

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »

It's okay, but I find the art-style is missing character.

- the colours are too saturated, especially in the background.
- eye line size is inconsistent to the rest.
- you could add more little things going on, small details.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »

I do not like the fine lines for the details either. Everything looks drawn, but the details look "constructed". The art makes me smile, somehow i like it. :D

You could simply drop lines where you don't need them (like you already did with the beard and hair tips). And maybe use some gradients?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:51:28 AM by zorg » Logged
Fridgecrisis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »

I think you've got a good thing started here! I like the bright colors and simple shapes. It kinda reminds me of Wind Waker, which I love. That said, my suggestion for improvement is to look at the art from Wind Waker / Phantom Hourglass and see what it does. For example...

Adding some simple shading would help your characters pop. Using dark colored lines instead of black, especially on the interior of the character, would help lighten them up. I would also suggest practicing loose gesture drawings, both from life and from any other art you like. Try to look at how the characters are posed and how you can sort of imagine a curved line going through most of their body. That's what helps their pose look dynamic and appealing.

Keep it up! It's looking good!
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »

Hey I'm in the exact same boat as you! Props for learning art.

I've been doing a lot of line art lately and one thing that has helped me get better is to get rid of all the bumps and bad edges of lines. In your piece for instance, where the island comes out to the right into the water there is a very sharp corner where it all of a sudden drops straight down with zero curvature. At the top of the mountain on the inside line is another very sharp corner.

I've found that by slowing down and taking notice of these small things while I draw, my line work and the overall piece gets better.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic