Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:22:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSimple Feedbacks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple Feedbacks  (Read 1501 times)
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2016, 05:05:24 AM »

I've been away for too long, but have finally come up with what I believe is a worthwhile question to fellow developers:

I'm looking for fresh ideas when it comes to easy feedback implementations.
I'm talking about feedbacks that can result from in-game interactions, but do not imply any inherent gameplay and only serve to add clear and concise feedback for the player.

For example:
- Camera shake: Generally related to an explosion or when the player is hurt (regardless of whether this is in first person)

- "Sprite" shake: may occur when an onscreen enemy is hurt but not killed, or to indicate that the enemy is impervious to this form of attack

- Bounce: May indicate that something has become active or require user attention.

- Fade to/from white or red: Also used in unit damage feedback under some circumstances.

- Rapid flip: may sometimes be used in lieu of a low quality attack animation (alternating left/right) in a static environment

etc.

Counter-examples:
- Knockback: This is a simple attack feedback, but it has gameplay ramifications (adding distance between the attacker and defender to increase delay)

Anyone has other examples of simple feedbacks and what they're used for in (primarily 2D) games?
I'm particularly interested in those you've used on your own or feel you should add to your current project.
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:03:33 AM »

You could always think about adding a split second pause to the game when getting hit/hitting an enemy. I think fighting games use this technique. I believe I picked it up from watching a Vlambeer video on youtube about 'game feel'.
It seems simple but if used right it gives the user a extra split second to read what is going on in the screen and react to it.
It also adds a bit of 'punch' to attacks IMO.

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »

That's right, I experienced that too, and didn't quite noticed what was going on.
Good one!
AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »

Particle effects are HUGE. They can make everything look better. Dust when running/jumping/landing, stars when a collision has happened, environmental things like rain, bubbles, or dust. All of them add a ton of feeling without major changes.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:45:38 PM »

Perhaps so obvious you overlooked it, but sound effects are pretty important in this regard as well. For something more novel in the same region, interactive music cues.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »

Alpha-fades, whether static (i.e. the alpha-value remains constant until further changed by another event) or animated (e.g. fading away during an attack, then fading in again afterwards).

These might indicate such things as an object being intangible (or partially so), or changes in the state of a relatively intangible object (a cloud of dust, or a spectre, perhaps), for two examples.

Recolouring of sprites/models might be useful to indicate changes in state, such as status effects--green for regeneration or poison, for example.

Evgiz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »

Particle effects are HUGE. They can make everything look better. Dust when running/jumping/landing, stars when a collision has happened, environmental things like rain, bubbles, or dust. All of them add a ton of feeling without major changes.
To extend on this a bit, interactive environments in general makes games feel more immersive. Things like grass shaking from wind or when the player moves through it, rocks that get pushed out of the way, footsteps on the ground behind the player... They provide feedback that the player is actually moving through and is a part of the game world.
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »

Your keyboard clicks, your mouse clicks, and your Iphone electrocutes you.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »

sprite flashing invisible like in mario when you take damage

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »

That's correct too, though I believe this fit more as a natural extension of some limitations. You couldn't do a whole lot to the sprite directly and still fit within the constraints of the system specs.
Flickering the sprite looks to me like it could reduce the user's awareness of the sprite positions even if its just a flash, and in action-driven experiences, this could actually lead to frustration.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »

Flicker between solid and 50%alpha

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »

I've thought about this idea of using an animated sequence of a new mechanic that is presented as a plot device first. Kinda like an elegant visual tutorial without sapping the player's magic of discovery.
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 02:41:09 AM »

Have you thought of modular music that could change mood/tempo to suit the heath of either the player character or enemies? I had a though that when for say, when your character is close to death the music becomes more frantic aggressive, like the fight to live is personified in the music.
It might be a doo way to do away with a HUD for health.
AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 07:18:08 AM »

Have you thought of modular music that could change mood/tempo to suit the heath of either the player character or enemies? I had a though that when for say, when your character is close to death the music becomes more frantic aggressive, like the fight to live is personified in the music.
It might be a doo way to do away with a HUD for health.

Good call! I did something like that once where the music changed based on which enemies were visible to the player. I loved the effect and it made the game a lot more interesting. There's a lot you can do with generative music and sounds to really immerse a player.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic