Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:34:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBest Vive titles and other VR games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best Vive titles and other VR games?  (Read 718 times)
mpolney
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:36:38 AM »

So who else has a Vive? The best games I've got for it so far are:

• Raw Data
  • The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
  • Space Pirate Trainer

The early levels of Raw Data are awesome, though later it falls to pieces a bit and the teleporting around is silly. I hope someone makes a Time Crisis style game where instead of using the pedal to move around in cover, you have your little VR area to take cover in.

Any recommendations? In addition to the above I already have the following, which are all either bad or very basic:

• A-10 VR
  • A Legend of Luca
  • Out of Ammo
  • Lightblade VR

These are all AFAIK room-scale and therefore Vive-only. I've also got some standing-only games, which are usually supported by the Oculus:

• House of the Dying Sun (good!)
  • bigscreen
  • ADR1FT

Who else is playing VR games?
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

The Budget Cuts demo has been my personal favorite; everything feels so tactile and intuitive, and there's some genuine tension when you're staking out those killer robots in plain sight.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:16:56 PM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »

I don't have a Vive yet, but Fantastic Contraption and Job Simulator are the games I've heard recommended the most. I'm not sure if either one is out yet, though?

bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:27 AM »

https://www.wearvr.com/apps/zelda-vr

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:17:38 AM »

Of all the Vive games I've played I think I enjoyed Job Simulator the most, but I haven't played those ones you mentioned as decent so I can't compare.

It's a shame Oculus have made RoboRecall an exclusive title because that looks quite quality

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:49:33 AM »

My work provided me a vive, cause I was the only 3d artist and needed to be able to check things out. I HIGHLY recommend not buying one if you dont have one, althought the experience is very cool and you should check it out if it's ever demo'd near you.

Vr presents some deep fundamental challenges to game design (it takes a lot of setup, it's draining to play, and you can't really handle a lot of traditional uses of level design,) and many developers don't come from a good game design background, and instead use ludicrous gimmicky conventions in place of good design. With these two factors together, most games are alternatively cumbersome or floaty, and very few games are interesting for more than ~5 minutes. From what there is:

• Budget cuts demo is very good.
  • Valve's The Lab demos are still the most polished & best vive experiences.
  • Fantastic contraption is probably the best full game that I've played
  • 5089 is the most interesting super bad taste fusion of traditional game mechanics and VR (play it with the alternate control scheme where touch pad movesyou, if you ever get it on a deep sale)
  • Tilt brush is a must play, of course.
  • I still havent played job simulator, since I'm loathe to spend money on awful games that feel physically uncomfortable.

also, I worked on quarterback snap, which is a fundamentally bad game that we jammed some pretty nice 'gamefeel' into. worth playing very briefly if the price ever drops to like $1.99

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic