Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:15:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopBackgrounds
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Backgrounds  (Read 2444 times)
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »

Hey folks, I've been making backgrounds for my game. The intent with these is to maintain a very low color count while still having a nice amount of detail. I'm not sure how the overall effect works, whether they look too distracting or too sketchy/blobby.

What do you think?

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »

I like the 1st.
2nd one maybe make the fog at the bottom grey.  Shrug

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Thanks. I ended up changing the palette to something lighter and less saturated and getting rid of the clouds since I thought that they undermined the misty feel I wanted.

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »

The first one has nice shape to the caverns and makes it feel deep, generates a good sense of space. The colors I think are fine but could only be sure if the foreground stuff is shown with the background. Depending on what's in the foreground the blue in the background may be too light but I can't tell for sure since I can't see anything but the background. I feel like the shading is what needs work since it appears like a bottle of frosting was turned upside down and dumped all over a blob of icecream. It's just too random.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:44:08 PM »

Yeah, it really shows which areas I worked on first and which ones I worked on after getting a bit better at rendering the rock texture. Foreground areas have a lot of noodliness, background areas look a lot more intentional. This would be less noticeable with a less contrasting palette, but if I got it right I think I could use basically any colors and it would read. Oh well I'll go back to that one when I get a chance and spend a bit more time and care on the terrain detail.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic