Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:37:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingREGEN (Pre-Release) || Old school arcade
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: REGEN (Pre-Release) || Old school arcade  (Read 963 times)
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

The mind behind Mainasutto

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »

About the game.
    Back on 2014, to the Gameboy Jam #3 I made a game called REGEN, it's a basic platform game, the objective of this game is to move as much rooms as possible without dying, collecting coins for upgrades to your character.
    The game features progressive difficulty, ie, meanwhile you complete more rooms, the game will be more difficult, and with only have 10 seconds to complete each room, and only 3 hits to die (unless you purchase some upgrades).

Currently the game is done, the first version was created in 24 hours, and the last version on 2 months aprox., only with a palette of 4 colors.

Why I need your feedback?
    The thing is that I want to re-release this game soon to greenlit it, this after finish my current project (Graveyard Garden), but I want some feedback about the game generally. So, if you're interested into play the game a give me some feedback, I recommend to download it 'cause the browser version is just the initial beta 1.0 and the downloadeable version it's the last release.

Some features.
    • 10 seconds to finish everyroom,
    • Only 3 HP.
    • Progressive difficulty.
    • Upgrades system.
    • Random maze generator.
    • "Story" Mode
    • Local VS.
    • Time Attack mode.
    • Trophies!
    • And a few more things to see.

Check out the release trailer if you want!:

{ Art by Maldo }

[/list]
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:02:52 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

|| Steam || Twitter || Discord ||
    mihkelt
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »

Sweeet trailer! Unfortunately don't play platformers much.
    alvarop
    Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »

The game is wayyyyyyyyyyy too difficult and unfair at the moment. The level design needs a couple of more passes and I think you might benefit from seeing people playing your game, because there are parts where the levels are just impossible to get through without dying and or getting hit.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
    conmarap
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »

The game is wayyyyyyyyyyy too difficult and unfair at the moment. The level design needs a couple of more passes and I think you might benefit from seeing people playing your game, because there are parts where the levels are just impossible to get through without dying and or getting hit.

I'll agree with alvarop here, but the game looks and feels really nice. Although it takes some time to get used to the unorthodox controls. My instinct told me to hit space for jump and not x which I was only prompted to press in order to get to the menu (and the same thing goes for the menu -> Enter).
    Good work though. I really like the style!
    DAndrëwBox
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »

Sweeet trailer! Unfortunately don't play platformers much.

Thanks!, hope someday you could play it Smiley

Thanks for playing it!, I'm actually looking for testers to play the game and help me with those unfair rooms.

I'll agree with alvarop here, but the game looks and feels really nice. Although it takes some time to get used to the unorthodox controls. My instinct told me to hit space for jump and not x which I was only prompted to press in order to get to the menu (and the same thing goes for the menu -> Enter).
    Good work though. I really like the style!

That's what I want to read, thank you!, I'm gonna cahnge the controls to make them more comfortable to the player, also, I see that I can keep the "retro" visual style and don't make so many changes about it, beyond fix some collision masks and stylize a little more the background.

Anyway, thank you everybody for play it! Grin

conmarap
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 06:02:50 AM »

Anyway, thank you everybody for play it! Grin

Do you have a dev log thread/website/other form of log? I'd like keep track of this game!
    DAndrëwBox
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:12:12 AM »

Do you have a dev log thread/website/other form of log? I'd like keep track of this game!

Actually, sometimes I use the devlog page of gamejolt to share new information about this and another of my games. If you want to see it I'll leave the link below. Smiley
    http://gamejolt.com/games/regen/38564/devlog

Vallar
    Level 2

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:31:27 AM »

Hello,

So I played your game and here is my feedback in no particular order -- I didn't look at other people's feedback so you can get a sample if someone said the same thing I did so here goes:

1- I really like the art for the game, while it is minimalist it is cute and I really liked it.

2- The game is simple and can be grasped after a few death. I only learned of Z when I was on the platform and that was for upgrades which I couldn't use or do anything in because I had no money. I would suggest not starting with the upgrades menu it slightly confusing why are you presenting this at the moment when I have no use for it. On the other hand you didn't present X and I was like pressing "Up" and "Space". Only after dying twice (because I was trying the controls and started moving around) that I figured perhaps the "X" button would work.

3- Your game is hard but that is fine -- I don't mind hard games. The problem however, is that your game is unfair. For example when I jump down, I can't see what is below me and I have no time to react. So if I make a gamble and just jump down, it is a one way ticket. So you'd need to watch out of these things, in a platformer your player MUST ALWAYS know where they are going to land. The only exception to the rule is when he is going to land on a safe zone -- you don't have to show it, however, be careful with that. Players will assume that it is a fall to their death, so if you have that kind of mechanic you need to teach it to the player.

4- The game breaks the rules it sets ALL the time. For example one truss column could be something I can stand, but another could be a pass through and foreground element while a third would block my movement and trap me with spikes to death. Not a good idea to make them all look the same. You need the game to be easily readable for the player and help him make decisions according to what he reads.

5- The game tricks me into dying. There are times when I was walking around only to find I am dead. When I come across the same area again I concentrate hard only to notice there is like 1-2 pixels protruding next to the step I need to jump on and if I touch it I die. That is really bad, it is like you're setting me up to die rather than giving me the tools to survive and my death becomes my own mistake.

6- Following from number, 3, 4 and 5, you have areas where if you drop down it is a death and others I can drop down and move past the screen to the next area. You need to separate both -- how am I to know when is falling down is bad and when it is OK?

7- The spikes that you sometimes litter around, while easy to see, sometimes they aren't obvious to be a death sentence. For example the big spike that comes out of the floor, that one tricked me. I honestly thought at first that it was a tree.

8- While it is a platformer, it felt fun and cute to play. I honestly enjoyed the game (when the game wasn't conspiring to kill me). 

9- The level design is a bit too weird and needs some edits but generally can be managed with a few deaths and luck.

All in all, I think this game has quite the potential and I like the whole premise of the game along with the art and the music. I really liked it. However, I would recommend if you are going to make it a hard game that you study hard games. A good case to study in difficulty is Dark Souls. The game is hard to play but not a single player could ever blame the game for their death. The game is extremely fair and gives you all the tools to survive and shows you every single danger. It gives you the opportunity to learn and adapt.

Good luck and hope to see this greenlit!

DAndrëwBox
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »

Hello,

So I played your game and here is my feedback in no particular order -- I didn't look at other people's feedback so you can get a sample if someone said the same thing I did so here goes:

1- I really like the art for the game, while it is minimalist it is cute and I really liked it.

2- The game is simple and can be grasped after a few death. I only learned of Z when I was on the platform and that was for upgrades which I couldn't use or do anything in because I had no money. I would suggest not starting with the upgrades menu it slightly confusing why are you presenting this at the moment when I have no use for it. On the other hand you didn't present X and I was like pressing "Up" and "Space". Only after dying twice (because I was trying the controls and started moving around) that I figured perhaps the "X" button would work.

3- Your game is hard but that is fine -- I don't mind hard games. The problem however, is that your game is unfair. For example when I jump down, I can't see what is below me and I have no time to react. So if I make a gamble and just jump down, it is a one way ticket. So you'd need to watch out of these things, in a platformer your player MUST ALWAYS know where they are going to land. The only exception to the rule is when he is going to land on a safe zone -- you don't have to show it, however, be careful with that. Players will assume that it is a fall to their death, so if you have that kind of mechanic you need to teach it to the player.

4- The game breaks the rules it sets ALL the time. For example one truss column could be something I can stand, but another could be a pass through and foreground element while a third would block my movement and trap me with spikes to death. Not a good idea to make them all look the same. You need the game to be easily readable for the player and help him make decisions according to what he reads.

5- The game tricks me into dying. There are times when I was walking around only to find I am dead. When I come across the same area again I concentrate hard only to notice there is like 1-2 pixels protruding next to the step I need to jump on and if I touch it I die. That is really bad, it is like you're setting me up to die rather than giving me the tools to survive and my death becomes my own mistake.

6- Following from number, 3, 4 and 5, you have areas where if you drop down it is a death and others I can drop down and move past the screen to the next area. You need to separate both -- how am I to know when is falling down is bad and when it is OK?

7- The spikes that you sometimes litter around, while easy to see, sometimes they aren't obvious to be a death sentence. For example the big spike that comes out of the floor, that one tricked me. I honestly thought at first that it was a tree.

8- While it is a platformer, it felt fun and cute to play. I honestly enjoyed the game (when the game wasn't conspiring to kill me). 

9- The level design is a bit too weird and needs some edits but generally can be managed with a few deaths and luck.

All in all, I think this game has quite the potential and I like the whole premise of the game along with the art and the music. I really liked it. However, I would recommend if you are going to make it a hard game that you study hard games. A good case to study in difficulty is Dark Souls. The game is hard to play but not a single player could ever blame the game for their death. The game is extremely fair and gives you all the tools to survive and shows you every single danger. It gives you the opportunity to learn and adapt.

Good luck and hope to see this greenlit!

All I want to say is thank you.
    I read it a few days ago but I haven't so much time to answer you. A lot of things that you wirte helped me to the re-work of the game. The difficulty, the unfair deads, collition masks, controls, etc.

As I said, Thank you a lot!, I'll work to make and adapt the game to be more "confortable" to the player.  Grin

Also, I never player Dark Souls by myself, only watched videos of it, maybe I could learn something about what you said before if I play it.
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:44:46 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

Vallar
    Level 2

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 12:43:57 AM »

You are most welcome. I am glad you are working on some fixes. Whenever you put up and update, if I have the time I'll give it another go.

Oh and really sorry for the messed up post (grammatically and punctuation wise), I have only noticed the mess I made (I wrote it in a hurry).

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic