Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:58:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Pachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling  (Read 46747 times)
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »

It's finally time to start the cleanup process for Inti's Warrior form! So, uh... same as before, except different! :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »

The warrior has slightly fewer animations than the Acrobat, but most of them have slightly higher framecounts, which makes for an about even split of work between them.
Their walks are pretty different, since the Acrobat has 3 different normal walk/run speeds, whereas the Warrior has only 1 (not counting "special" walks in water/against wind). I could manage to get a "lead-in walk" animation working for the warrior, but not for the acrobat, as the script just became too bloated. The "lead-in" works also as a quick turn around animation, I'll see if it needs some fixing later down the line and if I manage to get the idea working for the Acrobat somtime!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »

It's starting to become clear I'll need a few more weeks than planned to clean all of the Warrior's animations, as I didn't account for so many of them to have so many frames (some, like damage stances, use aroud 12-15 for the Acrobat, but 19-21 for the Warrior - it adds up :-D). But still, it's all moving forward!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

Halfway through the planned timeframe for the Warrior, but only a little more than a third of the way in her animation list, so it's pretty clear by now I was off in my planning. But other than that, it's all going fine - I'm focusing on her traversal/reaction animations for now, before moving into her combat animations for the last push! I'm not sure I've ever done so much straight animation cleaning before (in Honey, I usually broke up sketching/cleaning/coloring every week weeks, and I usually spent a month at most on any since I was focusing on a single character at a time, and they had much fewer work needed). It's pretty tiring and I'll admit I'll be glad to see the end of the tunnel, but having a clear list of what needs doing helps a lot! :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »

Who knew the index finger was so useful for drawing? I recently cut myself pretty deep (going to the clinic in a few hours to see if I hit a tendon), which accounts for a slightly smaller than usual amount of frames in the weekly roundup. Still, apart from those exciting real life adventures, I'm closing in on anim #100 (I think I'm at #99 actually) out of 129, so it's getting there!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

Back in the game! You may have noticed a slight lack of update last week, as I had to allow for some post-surgery finger rest. Now that everything's stitched back together, it's time to make up for time lost.
I was dreading a bit the "respawn" animation as it's one of the Warrior's longest and most complex ones, so I'm glad to finally have it out of the way. The others from this week are the last for the general moveset, meaning we only have combat moves left. Only a few more weeks of this, and we'll finally move on to color!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »

Another saturday, another progress gif for the weekly animation cleanup!
This week, I've started on the Warrior's combat moves, her last remaining moves, so we're nearing the finish line, finally.
In the gif, I've put both the complete animations with recovery, and a combo example to showcase how animations transition from and into each other.
A few more weeks, and it'll finally be time for some color!

shakazed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »

Awesome stuff man :D
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2017, 05:59:08 AM »

Ok, that is some gratuitous and awesome animation! Were you inspired by Cray in Breath of Fire 4? That game also has beautifully smooth animations, and Cray wields a big wacking device, kinda like that one. Smiley  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »

Awesome stuff man :D

Hey, thanks a lot :-D

Ok, that is some gratuitous and awesome animation! Were you inspired by Cray in Breath of Fire 4? That game also has beautifully smooth animations, and Cray wields a big wacking device, kinda like that one. Smiley  Gomez

I haven't, actually, as I haven't played Breath of Fire 4 - stopped at 3, but I'll have to check it out, now :-D Thanks!
For the Warrior form, the main reference is actually a cross between Shantae and Raijaki from Muramasa - long hair is a dead giveaway :-D

Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »

I just wanted to stop by and say that your level of skill with this deserves more attention. I've also never seen animation that's hand drawn like this be so fluid - well you know, except for Skullgirls. Anyway, keep at it!
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

I just wanted to stop by and say that your level of skill with this deserves more attention. I've also never seen animation that's hand drawn like this be so fluid - well you know, except for Skullgirls. Anyway, keep at it!

Oh wow, thanks :-) Lab Zero's work is indeed in large part what gave me the drive to get started on this kind of animation, but I'm still learning as I go - beyond what I currently do, I don't actually know much :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »

Earlier than usual this week, but I likely won't have time to completely clean another animation before tomorrow, so here's the current result of the week:

Two more weeks of cleaning, and then... Five months of coloring! So we're almost out of the woods, but still far from civilization. One step at a time!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »

I actually have something for Screenshot Saturday, something that's even less of a screenshot than usual: a timelapse of the cleanup for an animation!

It makes for a pretty long video, so I've added commentary over the most relevant bits using subtitles. Hope you'll find it interesting, entertaining, or... something!

DasBilligeAlien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »

Amazing piece of work. Should get out my animators survival kit and get back to learning.

I love construct 2 a lot and I am super happy to see you use it.

Best wishes and hope to see more.
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »

You deserve more praise for this. Smiley
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »

This animation is stunning, really beautiful. Great work.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »

Amazing piece of work. Should get out my animators survival kit and get back to learning.

I love construct 2 a lot and I am super happy to see you use it.

Best wishes and hope to see more.

You deserve more praise for this. Smiley

This animation is stunning, really beautiful. Great work.

Oh, thank you all so much, I'm glad you enjoyed the video :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2017, 05:30:22 AM »

It's hard to believe, but I'm the end is in sight! Only four more animations to clean, which should take most of next week, and then, it'll be time to color all of that, finally!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2017, 01:43:32 AM »

The cleanup marathon is finally DONE! Due to unforeseen circumstances, it took two weeks longer than I'd planned, but I'm glad the schedule stands overall, and I'm still hopeful I'll manage to get the character done before the end of the year.

I'm moving on to coloring all of this now, which means I'm going back to the start of the Acrobat's animations. I'm still not sure whether I'll implement each week's animations in the prototype as I go, or if I'll wait until they're all done so I can do it all in one fell swoop.

Either way, there's that to look forward to next, before I finally move back to (finally) making new stuff!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic