Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:05:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Pachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling  (Read 47088 times)
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »

Slightly earlier progress report than usual this week, as I'm about to step away from the tablet for the week-end!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »

Here's this week's progress!

I hoped the Warrior would be easier to color since she has fewer colors overall, but most of her design has lots of juxtaposed zones making it harder to color in one go. In the end, it's slightly longer than I expected and might throw the schedule off by a few weeks, but I still have hope to be done with her by the beginning of October. The race is on!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »

Another week, another progress gif!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »

About halfway through the Warrior's moveset! Exhaustion has firmly set in, but the finish line is also in sight... just a few more weeks!

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »

I've not been here for a while but, wow!, the animations are still amazing Smiley keep on!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »

I've not been here for a while but, wow!, the animations are still amazing Smiley keep on!

Thanks a lot :-) If all goes well, there should be one more month of coloring, and then... new things!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2017, 09:55:07 PM »

Getting to the Warrior's fighting moves, the last stretch before I'm done with Inti... for now! I've got a few additional animations planned for later on, mostly sequence related, so I'm leaving them until I have started said sequences proper.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »

Here's a new timelapse video to showcase the color process for the Warrior's animations, especially the special effects (namely, fire!)

mflux
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

This animation quality is really impressive. Lots of attention to detail.

If I could give one feedback, a lot of the "recover from hand-stand" moves are way too slow and exert far too little inertia. Both the "on the ground" version and the ledge grab flip motion. From a gameplay POV and an animation POV they should both be faster and move the player forward a lot more. My 2cents!
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

This animation quality is really impressive. Lots of attention to detail.

If I could give one feedback, a lot of the "recover from hand-stand" moves are way too slow and exert far too little inertia. Both the "on the ground" version and the ledge grab flip motion. From a gameplay POV and an animation POV they should both be faster and move the player forward a lot more. My 2cents!

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the handstand motions, and all recovery animations in fact: they're all cancellable! The elaborate recoveries are meant only for eye candy, visual rewards and self expression for players who want to take the time and/or show off. I'm still working on tweaking the exact motion scheme, but my aim is to make the controls as responsive as possible, ie: no animation priority (I assume your feedback is based on the gifs, but if you've played the prototype, I'd love to hear more detailed thoughts).

For the edgegrab handstand, the situation is a little more complex due to how I handle the character repositioning (I'm still looking into other methods), but it's also semi-cancellable, and its play rate can be boosted. The default edgegrab anim is the much faster one, and that one can also be accelerated/semi skipped: by keeping the jump button pressed when hanging, the anim is accelerated, and by releasing/repressing with the right timing, the anim goes even faster (a timing risk/reward mechanic mostly aimed for speedrunners). The handstand only occurs if a ledge is grabbed during a third jump in a combo, and the player then releases all buttons and doesn't do any fast-forward manoeuver. It's actually much more likely players won't see it at all - again, it's meant more as a reward for players who want to fully explore the move palette :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »

And now for the actual weekly progress report - you've seen the Solar Flare in the timelapse above, but there's other stuff too!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »

Just one more week of this, if all goes according to plan!

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »

Just saw something on twitter about this. Keep up the amazing work!

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:04 AM »

Just saw something on twitter about this. Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks a lot for the kind words :-D As it happens, I'm starting work today on the very last animation of this marathon - of course, there's going to be a lot more of these before all is said and done, and the game proper is still years away, but it's still a significant milestone and I'm looking forward to celebrating it with all of you at the end of the week :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »

FINALLY!

I've reached the end of this 8 month animation marathon - and some people actually do this all day, every day for a living! I've stretched my endurance thin, so I'll be taking a short break to recover before tackling integration. That means the next steps will be animation integration, but also sound and voice, thanks to work from Morusque and Sandra Espinoza. With all of that in, Inti's movement should be more or less "final intention" - it'll perhaps be tweaked down the line, but it'll be the baseline to see the intended aesthetics of the game in motion, and will serve as a test base to see if it works or not. And right after that, I'll add some backgrounds to start having some idea of what the overall game will look like. Exciting times ahead!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »

Finally, the anims are in the prototype, and I'm back to tweaking values back and forth for jump height - true platforming gamedev! :-D

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/916564474085216257
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/916564726355759104
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/916564878483185665

(I'm not exactly sure how to embed these small video clips here, does anyone have any idea?)

Apart from the big obvious thing, what's new is also the implementation of the voice over work for Inti by Sandra Espinoza, and the very early start of sound work by Morusque. That's going to need a lot of iteration, but we're on it!
I've also reworked the camera to have a lot less horizontal and vertical movement - basically, a lot more fixed field of view, with very small jolts of acceleration in the biggest of moments. It loses in visual dynamism, but gains so much in playability, and was a feedback that came back often, so that clearly needed changing.

Next on the menu is the start of background and enemy work. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle those yet, so there might be a little experimentation ahead!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »

This week has been about drafting placeholders for background dressing. Nothing final at all, merely attempting to see what works and what doesn't!

To limit the amount of big images at any one time, I'm planning to use a "main texture" for most of the solid ground, repeated as a tiled background, and dress up the collision zones (floor, walls, ceiling, platforms, collapsing falls, and basically all interactible objects) with other smaller tiled BGs when possible, and with sprites as a last resort. For now the theory seems to work well and limit the overall memory impact, so I'm now preparing some intention images to have "style guides" and have a clearer idea of where I'm going, before doing it for real!

Also this week, not as showy but much more important: thanks to the work of a much better C2 programmer than I, the game performs SO much better (10% raw gain for CPU usage, and 100.000 collision checks/second less, down to about 15000 and still dropping - I didn't exactly code with performance in mind for the prototype, and I use a LOT of redundancy!). He's going over all my systems with a fine toothed comb, fixing everything that needs fixing, so a lot of them perform better in addition to simply working better overall, such as collapsing platforms, climbing hangpoints and more. So: neat! :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:49 AM »

Question time!

Using an "intention image" (not an actual in-game screen, but trying to simulate how it'd look and work ingame as far as planes and color filters go, so a bit beyond "concept art"), here's a quick and rough attempt at filters-only coloration for background planes (no foreground) for the "sky as health color" idea. The goal is to use only color filters as the game would, meaning no additional gradients, switch BG elements or other techniques - those might give much better aesthetic results (for instance for recoloring clouds or light on the far BG panels for an actual "sunset" coloring), but it's to get an idea of the possible and likely baseline effect, see if it works or not. Thoughts?

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »

Making progress on background assets, so it was time to tinker a bit with the colored sky a bit. It's now working ingame - much of it is placeholder, still, but it's slowly getting there!

Here's a more detailed rundown of how the background is built:

The scene is built out of several layers for different parallax and coloration purposes. Essentially, the division is this: "Foreground (=playing field) -> Background (no parallax) -> Background (parallax) -> Far Background (different parallax)".

Depending on each layer's needs, I use a different building approach to keep the overall number of objects required low, and the amount of images loaded in memory as low as possible (still very high, though!). The other main concern is to avoid visual repetition: because of the mid-to-high level of detail on some background elements, any high frequency juxtaposition or tiling makes the repetition obvious and unappealing.

For the foreground, I'm dressing up the playing field logic blocks. Those are placed using a grid for height, but can have varying sizes for length that go off grid. To be sure I cover those areas, I use a combination of a tiling central texture, and cover the edges through 9-patches and overlaid singular "stamps" for the leftover gaps and central detail.
The 9-patches allow me to both tile and stretch the central part of an image depending on the size need of a specific area (usually stretching for smaller platforms and tiling for longer ones).

Here are how those 9-patches are built, segmenting the left and right segment off the center, tiling piece.

For visual variety, I'm using variants of different sizes (smaller edges+center piece, smaller edges+longer center piece, etc) to cover grounds of different length. Once most of the areas are covered, I can put the singular sprites
on the remaining spaces to fine tune control and break off some of the most apparent edges, like the example here.

For the close background, however, I don't have such size concerns, so I'm mostly focused on getting mid-to-big shapes while keeping the objet and texture count low. I've had the best results with tilemapping:

This allows me to create a number of varying shapes using lots of variants for any singular tile while keeping the number of objects as low as possible in the project hierarchy (one for each thematically different tilemap). A base tilemap is composed of 13 pieces (1 central, 4 inner corners, 4 outer corners and 4 edges) though I plan to add variants to each tile on the same texture, and fill out the remaining spaces with "special use" tiles, such as 2-tile wide non-tiling effects.

(Here's the base tilemap without variants for reference).

Lastly, for the far backgrounds, the concern is mostly tiling images, so this time tiled backgrounds work best:

(Here's the base tile for the treetops - the mountain range is made out of a repeating tiled background, and additional mountain "stamps" placed on top for different relief).

After that's done (which is not yet - I'm still working on a lot of those :-D), thanks to the separation of layers, I can create the color effect from the concept image: as the sun goes down and the sky color changes, I simply apply a colored filter to the affected layers (the far BG is completely changed, the parallax less so, the close BG slightly tinted, and the playing field is never affected) - this helps have a sense of depth, and allow for an overall tinting of the image, while still keeping the playing area unchanged and the player's reference in regards to what they mechanically encounter.

I'm still working on getting most of the panels and variants I just wrote about done and in the game, and finding the right colors for the colored filters, but the game is getting closer to the intention with every passing day!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:41:53 AM by Pehesse » Logged

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

Just for fun, here's a reminder of what the game was a year ago: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58329.msg1292925#msg1292925

and where we are today:

There's still an amazingly long way to go, and it's both encouraging and disheartening to see how far we've come, and how much there's still to do :-D

Next month: enemies!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic