Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:04:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Pachakutiq - gratuitous 2D animation, with updated spelling  (Read 46736 times)
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2018, 12:40:08 AM »

This is beautiful! Just replying to follow for now, will dig in later Smiley
I hate you and your ability to animate! Lmao #totallyjealous

Thank you both :-D

It's been a pretty tough series of weeks lately with real life catching up, but I still managed to make some progress on the enemy front. All the enemies from the vertical slice level now have sketch animations, of which you can see a few right here:

As usual, I'm starting with sketch anims to get a rapid sense of movement, then integrate them ASAP to test in context and see if anything doesn't work as it should, mainly relative to size (especially when the pet anim plays, since it needs to land at a pretty precise position). So far this new set of anims seems to work as intended, so... next is cleaning, as usual!

On the code front, Mad Spy has been hard at work redoing huge parts of my old mess. That unfortunately means it's not very impressive or even different to look at yet, but the feel of some mechanics is growing increasingly tighter by the day, so there's that to look forward to as well.

In short: lots of progress made, but we're definitely entering the phase where nothing very new can be shown, so strap in, it's going to be a while longer yet :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »

Small cleaning update! I refrain from posting too much these days to avoid burning you all out through overexposure, but I still need to showcase *some* progress to reassure you (and I) that progress is still being made. So here are some of the latest cleaned enemy animations:

There are still three more big enemies to clean: the Charge Bear, Guard Bear, and Slow Rolling Tatoo, then it'll be color time... so, look forward to that!

Here's the related monthly Patreon update, in case you want to jump in and help support this *long* endeavour, one way or another! https://www.patreon.com/posts/november-news-23022673

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2018, 01:36:40 AM »

It's the end of the year, so it's time for a little recap - even though most of it can be found scattered in several posts in here, here it all is in a single place (and it's accessible by the public, too, not just patrons, in case you were worried).

Without further ado: the 2018 recap! https://www.patreon.com/posts/look-back-at-in-23364410

And now, onwards to whatever's next!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »

Hello everyone and belayed happy new year!

Finally, something slightly new to showcase here, with the first finished enemies in the game: the Throwing Monkey variants.

Next on the list are the armadillos and the cyclone tree, then I'll move to adding some backgrounds to finally have some footage of the prototype that looks like what the actual game is intended to look like, someday, somehow, eventually.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2019, 12:10:25 AM »

I'm finally done coloring the enemies for the vertical slice, so it's time for new things!

I've started making some placeholder backgrounds for the vertical slice level, and in the process, implemented a few of the additional mechanics that were still missing but intended for the longest while.

This is the classic "foreground item hiding secret spot", to hide all the secret pickups in the game that will eventually unlock all the design tweak options. For now, of course, those pickups do nothing beyond existing, but it's already more than there was a day ago! :-D

This is a small addition to add some "juice" to the battles: destructible background props! They serve no purpose beyond being fodder for your wrath, and they can either be hit or flamed. I'm hoping they'll add a fun layer of mayhem to combat, the extra "oomph" to really underline the action. I'm also considering tracking the amount the player destroys or not, for stat showing and possible achievement purposes, we'll see. I've also been suggested that enemies could hide in those props, which sounds quite fun, so I'll think about that some more and see if I can work something off it!

Lastly, here's a small showcase of the current WIP progress with a fully animated Inti and enemy, and the placeholder backgrounds that will hopefully be filled sooner rather than later.

Next is to complete the remaining needed placeholders, then polish all of those background elements to a sheen, before moving to the next big thing, FX!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2019, 11:25:52 PM »

Background placeholders are done for the first two layouts, meaning it's time to clean all of it up!

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »

Damned ! thats impressive work !
Missed that Huge thread !! Shocked

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »

Damned ! thats impressive work !
Missed that Huge thread !! Shocked

Hah, thanks a lot :-D Well, it'll be around for a while longer!

Here's this week's progress:

I finally started cleaning up some of those background placeholders, namely the far background tree panels. They're tiled images, so I can recompose different trees using the same base tiles, to hopefully save a bit on memory somewhere.

Next is either the big "one off" background pieces that usually serve as connectors between wildly different looking areas, or just special places, or the foreground bits, to finally have a "final looking" playing plane. Look forward to either of those!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:03 AM »

Progress is going according to schedule, which means a few more weeks of this at the very least, but it's starting to take shape, and some testers are already having more fun jumping on actual "things" than just boxes :-D I hope the trend will continue!

There's still a few things I have to try to contrast the foreground and background elements more, in addition to just putting more stuff on both to densify and break the straight lines a bit. I also need to replace all placeholders still, so a bit of both will be the menu for next week!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »

Been following this on twitter for ages but not sure if I ever commented on this thread. I love how it's coming together, the hand drawn animations and environments reminds me of Wario Land Shake It.

The background in the most recent gif is looking great - it looks like you added some outlines to make it more obvious which elements are collidable, which I like. In previous gifs it was quite hard to judge what was or wasn't part of the background.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2019, 11:23:57 PM »

Been following this on twitter for ages but not sure if I ever commented on this thread. I love how it's coming together, the hand drawn animations and environments reminds me of Wario Land Shake It.

The background in the most recent gif is looking great - it looks like you added some outlines to make it more obvious which elements are collidable, which I like. In previous gifs it was quite hard to judge what was or wasn't part of the background.

Ooh! You're far too kind, thank you very much, and likewise! Leilani's Island looks unbelievably great, and your devlog is a constant source of inspiration with how detailed you are about your intentions, process and techniques. Just top notch work, so thanks for your kind words.

And you're absolutely right, I had left the "play field" assets for later so in some of the gifs they got a bit mixed in as placeholders didn't use outlines, but the plan (and how it turned out) was to indeed use dark and saturated line for the foreground play assets, contrasting with the colored desaturated outlines of the background planes, and the lighter colored outlines of the non interactive foreground elements. So far I think this works pretty well, but this contrast between planes through color saturation and outlining is something I plan to monitor carefully moving forward.

There's also another element I need to watch out for, which is that parallaxed background planes change colors as health go down, so I need to make sure the contrast works in all health conditions - so far it does, but I'm only two layouts in of a great many more planned, so I'll need to stay vigilant :-D

For today here are some of the newly cleaned placeholders, the animated ones: the piles of leaves are there to add some visual trailing dynamism when moving over surfaces (mostly sliding surfaces, but it works when walking as well), the destructible props are their to give an interactive feeling to levels (candles, anyone?) and an element of slight added chaos to combat, in addition to a slight layer of training/feedback as they can be smashed/burned depending on the move you use (so you get to practice the properties of moves in a safe environment), and lastly, the checkpoint with grass and flowers growing, and the sun touching down.

I'm missing some more animated elements but I hope to be done with this first background pass soon-ish, and move on to making an additional layer of fx for both feedback and game feel purposes, as it's the one thing cruelly missing at this point!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2019, 03:01:55 AM »

A very short update, as I'm still recovering from a bad succession of various illnesses in a row, and from the mounting stress for the upcoming local games festival this weekend (it's in Angoulême, in case you're around and interested!). But just to keep this devlog alive, here's a video to showcase the prototype that'll be available there:

More meaty updates ASAP afterwards!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »

Looks great! Look after yourself and good luck showcasing the game!

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »

Glad to see this Game is Alive and well!

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »

Glad to see this Game is Alive and well!

Yup, it is, though it is on hold at the moment - a fair amount of things happened since last time, so let me take it back from the top.

Since the last update, I've showcased the game at the Angoulême games festival, where it went amazingly well, essentially confirming the basic design intent of having a game fit for both newcomers and speedrunners. People with extremely varied skill levels tried and enjoyed the game for various reasons (most of them the intended ones :-D), so all of this was a huge confidence boost, as it means the rest of the game "just needs to be made" according to the current plan. Of course, that plan still spans years, because of the amount of assets required, so it's still going to take a long while, but I'm in a lot better position mentally than I was a few months ago regarding this whole endeavour.

The second main thing that happened, however, is that I got hired by Wayforward to work on one of their next games, which has been a goal and dream of mine since I was 16 years old or thereabouts, so I was *elated* by this development - even though it means I had to essentially pause the game to do so, as I don't have the time or focus to work on Pacha at the same time. I'll also admit, this break off the game is doing me a world of good, as I was getting severly burned out from it, despite the positive boost from the festival.

So for now, there's no progress to share on Pacha unfortunately, but as soon as I get back to it, I have a solid plan to follow and renewed energy for it, so it should hopefully mean good things in the future - I just can't tell exactly when that'll be!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic