Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:21:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChosen -- 挑戦 [ 2D Pixel-art Platformer ]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Chosen -- 挑戦 [ 2D Pixel-art Platformer ]  (Read 6752 times)
Hao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:50 PM »

C H O S E N · 挑戦
==================

"A Platformer/Metroidvania 2D Action Game"

The Game:
Chosen is a pixel-art platform game inspired by Metroidvania genre, with a Megaman feeling to it.

We are simultaneously creating our own in-house engine called Ninja Engine for it. Basic Hero mechanics, NPCs, terrain and sprite-based collisions are fully functional:

Who Are We?
We --Yuan Works-- are a (really) small studio developing an engine for 2D Platform games. Originally our game was more ambitious and Chosen was only to test-drive our engine, but we are liking the retro feeling on it Smiley

Our Dev Tools
The idea is to develop an our engine (codename Ninja Engine) with tight platformer mechanics to create a bigger, more ambitious project in terms of pixel art and depth, in the likes of our previous project Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles.

Most of our art is done in MS Paint, and from the programming side, we use C++ with SDL for support on a bunch of platforms, including the Dreamcast.

You can also follow our progress more in depth here:

Feel free to ask us any question and of course, any kind of feedback (good and bad) is appreciated.

Updates will be rolling on this thread frequently Beer!

Cheers! Cave Story Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:20:44 PM by Hao » Logged

IGF Finalist Wind And Water is now on Steam Greenlight!

Chosen -- 挑戦 [ Platformer Devlog ] - DevLog
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:50:31 PM »

pretty

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »

Looks great!

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:18:32 AM »

Very charming style Smiley

I like the MMX wall slide too!

Will the entire game be in blue shades or could the hue perhaps shift between certain areas?

Y.u.a.n
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:09:01 AM »

The idea for now is to restrict the game to that four-color blue palette, and try to take it to its limits. Kinda like a glorified Game Boy game.

The colors make pixel art faster to draw, so we can focus on animation and visuals. I'll post more screenies and work every now and then  Grin

*edit* fixed the image url
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:01:08 PM by Y.u.a.n » Logged
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 06:43:37 AM »

Wow, this is incredibly charming! I agree with the above poster. I love how it has that "Gameboy-ish" color palette, even if it's not the green or monochrome style.

The blue tint is very nice!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
AnaGuillenFdez
Level 0

Artist, interested in design too

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »

It is interesting how it started as a test and it became a project later. Keep the hard work, it looks really cool Smiley I am in love with that wall jump.
Using a blue palette inspired by GB graphics is a clever choice, it gives the pixel art a special ambient. And the main character is kinda cute.

Afterglow 20.51: emotional synchronization on a paper train
@FdezGuillen - @NuggetTeamDev
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »

I like the MC and the in game screen shots so far - following  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »

The engine looks incredibly smooth and polished. This game looks like it'd be a blast to speedrun.

Keep up the good work!

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

Really impressed with the aesthetics and engine work so far!
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »

Love the aesthetic and the title pun Smiley
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »

Love the lighting on that torch.  Gameplay looks great.  Really dig the art style, too.  Hand Clap

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

I agree with everyone above. Great Style!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »

Art looks really awesome! I wonder if you are joking about MS Paint, or actually using it? =)

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »

Art looks really awesome! I wonder if you are joking about MS Paint, or actually using it? =)
There are a pretty good number of proficient pixel artists who use Paint, actually
lobstersteve
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »

The art is super cool, the choice for blue colors only is also interesting Smiley
Good luck, i hope this becomes a finished, fleshed-out game someday Smiley
HoffmanIV
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »

I love seeing new games in development that faithfully follow GB-esque color limitations. Will be watching this for sure! Good luck to you.
Y.u.a.n
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 02:33:01 PM »

Wow, much support, such awesome!! Haha, someone got the pun already  Wink

Thanks for the comments guys! Really nice to see that some ppl appreciate this kind of thing  Cave Story
The idea we have is to use a "2-bit palette" and try to take it to the max. Like if a brick Game Boy had a CD-Drive, or something. So cutscenes and lots of animation are planned.

I like to experiment with other software, but I'm just very efficient using Paint. Since usually I don't need to preview animations (I just make them straight ahead), it makes the workflow much faster. The simplicity of it makes it fast (for me), but there is some really awesome software to make pixel art out there, and more undos and onion skin are very useful, specially if you're just starting.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »

Following for the prettiness.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 05:49:01 AM »

I like to experiment with other software, but I'm just very efficient using Paint. Since usually I don't need to preview animations (I just make them straight ahead), it makes the workflow much faster. The simplicity of it makes it fast (for me), but there is some really awesome software to make pixel art out there, and more undos and onion skin are very useful, specially if you're just starting.

Hey, I am all about efficient workflow, even if it differs from "the norm." People have told me that my music workflow is, quote: "a waste of time," given that I take a significant step outside of the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to make each and every track or piece of music. Yet, it works ideally for me. So keep up your workflow, and never let anyone  tell you differently.

Your work is too awesome to try and change something. If it ain't broke, don't fix it Tongue

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic