Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:39:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame finished: When to contact press?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game finished: When to contact press?  (Read 2754 times)
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:47 AM »

Thought I'd give an update.

Sent out about 70 emails a few days ago, to a mix of youtubers / press.

Long story short, no replies. I did get a couple in the form of;

"Thanks for contacting us! We'll look at your game later in the week. In the meantime, would you like to advertise on our site?". I assume they won't really look at my game.

Sent out promo codes to all of them and none have been used (at least Android ones haven't, not sure how to check iOS on itunes connect). In fact, no-one even clicked on my youtube video link. I know because I keep count of the views.

I was expecting maybe 1-2 replies from the smaller sites/channels. Optimistically hoping for 3-4. So all in all 0 isn't really that far off par to be honest. I knew that it was a likely scenario  Cheesy

This is my game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YosTGlQYxQ0&feature=youtu.be

The quality/presentation is probably just not good enough to warrant attention. Disappointing but such is life!

Anyway just thought I'd share my experiences
Peace  Cool

You did your job well contacting all the press sites, so the problem probably lies in the presentation.
If nobody watched the trailer, that's probably because the press announcement wasn't very exciting. Mind sharing it with us?
Meanwhile, take this: http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/12/one-lethal-mistake-indie-marketing/
I think your trailer has lots of little problems that are addressed in the article. Make another one, do a little update to justify another round of mails, and try again!

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Joe Donnelly
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 03:10:37 AM »

Hey guys

Thought I'd pop my head in - my name is Joe Donnelly and I write for PC Gamer.

We're always looking to cover interesting indies at PCG, therefore I wanted to drop my email in here. Assuming your game exists on PC and has something playable (pre-alpha is fine), feel free to shoot me a line at joe[dot]donnelly[at]futurenet[dot]com. You can reach me on Twitter via @deaco2000 too, however email is definitely preferred.     

Also - I used to work freelance before starting at PCG and therefore can totally sympathise re unanswered emails. To this end, I try to answer every email as best I can.

I look forward to hearing from you and keep up the good work!

Joe 
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 01:45:20 AM »

Hey guys

Thought I'd pop my head in - my name is Joe Donnelly and I write for PC Gamer.

We're always looking to cover interesting indies at PCG, therefore I wanted to drop my email in here. Assuming your game exists on PC and has something playable (pre-alpha is fine), feel free to shoot me a line at joe[dot]donnelly[at]futurenet[dot]com. You can reach me on Twitter via @deaco2000 too, however email is definitely preferred.     

Also - I used to work freelance before starting at PCG and therefore can totally sympathise re unanswered emails. To this end, I try to answer every email as best I can.

I look forward to hearing from you and keep up the good work!

Joe 

Hi Joe!

Writing your e-mail down now, I hope you still work there when we are getting closer to release, in like 16 months or so. Smiley I'll drop you an e-mail then and we'll see! We are a small indie studio of two people working on what we aim to be a great quality PC indie game. We'll post about it here and on our site once we have anything to show: warpzonestudios.com

I think you've written about Paradox before? Both of us in the studio worked there until this summer. Fantastic place, but nothing beats being your own right now.

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 03:16:16 AM »

Thought I'd give an update.

Sent out about 70 emails a few days ago, to a mix of youtubers / press.

Long story short, no replies. I did get a couple in the form of;

"Thanks for contacting us! We'll look at your game later in the week. In the meantime, would you like to advertise on our site?". I assume they won't really look at my game.

Sent out promo codes to all of them and none have been used (at least Android ones haven't, not sure how to check iOS on itunes connect). In fact, no-one even clicked on my youtube video link. I know because I keep count of the views.

I was expecting maybe 1-2 replies from the smaller sites/channels. Optimistically hoping for 3-4. So all in all 0 isn't really that far off par to be honest. I knew that it was a likely scenario  Cheesy

This is my game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YosTGlQYxQ0&feature=youtu.be

The quality/presentation is probably just not good enough to warrant attention. Disappointing but such is life!

Anyway just thought I'd share my experiences
Peace  Cool

You did your job well contacting all the press sites, so the problem probably lies in the presentation.
If nobody watched the trailer, that's probably because the press announcement wasn't very exciting. Mind sharing it with us?
Meanwhile, take this: http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/12/one-lethal-mistake-indie-marketing/
I think your trailer has lots of little problems that are addressed in the article. Make another one, do a little update to justify another round of mails, and try again!

Wow, Bricabrac. That's one hell of a article. The one that is really helpful in a practical way. Thanks!

But does anyone happen to know some exact trailers that are really good?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic