Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:12:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)GMLive - write & run GameMaker code right in your browser!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GMLive - write & run GameMaker code right in your browser!  (Read 1526 times)
YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »

The thing itself: http://yal.cc/r/gml/

Blog post: http://yal.cc/introducing-gmlive/

In short, through a lot of trouble I made a GML->JS compiler that works closely enough to the original one. Then it is hooked up with a special project build and runs very similarly to how actual GML code would on HTML5 target. There's a matching code editor with syntax highlighting and auto-completion too.

As result, you can write and execute GML code right in the browser, in real-time (Ctrl+Enter to run). This can be used for a lot of things:

Feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:42:22 AM by YellowAfterlife » Logged

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »

This is so cool! How'd you go about implementing the whole thing?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »

It is really cool! Since FK asked the obvious question, here's one on the side from me: that nice code editor with all the features, is it something you wrote yourself, or something you got from somewhere? I feel like I'd want something like that somewhere at some point without actually putting in the work myself.

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:53 AM »

This is so cool! How'd you go about implementing the whole thing?
It is really cool! Since FK asked the obvious question, here's one on the side from me: that nice code editor with all the features, is it something you wrote yourself, or something you got from somewhere? I feel like I'd want something like that somewhere at some point without actually putting in the work myself.
Thanks! The process is described in detail in the linked blog post.

GML->JS compiler and API bridge are written by me from scratch.

Code editor component used is Ace. I wrote a GML highlighting and auto-completion plugins for it. You can grab those from page source if you want - `gml-api.js` (compacted list of function and argument data), `ace-gml.js` (highlighter), and parts of `ace-bind.js` (custom status bar and auto-completion). Both rely on `gml-api.js` for function/variable list but are otherwise standalone and can be used with Ace as-is.

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:31:49 AM »

There's a name for the principle of "if it exists, it will be ported to JS" but I forget what it is.

Nicely done, sir YAL.  Gentleman

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Arno
Level 0

cool cat that loves coffee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »

Oooh this is very nice. If I may, I want to test it out with a small puzzle game prototype I'm working on. In terms of coding, I have to fix my own code first. I made a few games with Love2d and now my brain is stuck with running everything inside arrays or tables. Tongue

Do what makes YOU happy. It's as simple as that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic