Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:27:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessYour blogging platforms/tools of choice?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Your blogging platforms/tools of choice?  (Read 1501 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »

What are the blogging platforms/tools of choice these days for game projects and otherwise putting yourself out there as a developer? I used to use Wordpress back in the day as a hobbyist, but nowadays Tumblr seems to be a popular choice. If anything, I need to start putting myself out there again since I'm hoping to make my first commercial game.

Generally speaking, I'm looking for ease of use and the ability to stay clean and organized, but I'd be really interested to know your reasons for using particular tools and why you prefer them.
kalyrical
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »

I actually prefer Wordpress' analytics over Tumblr's. But for ease of use, Tumblr definitely takes the cake.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »

I think it really depends based on your project. Tumblr is pretty chaotic and its archive function is a nightmare, so it's not the best place to share technical devlogs. However, it excels at showing pretty pictures with fancyness.
(One example that truly shines: Totem Teller's Tumblr).
If your game is action-oriented, consider also Twitter: sharing GIFs on the platform and using tags like #indiegame #indiedev is a good way to get noticed.
(In general, I think Twitter is pretty useful for meeting other devs - all the cool kids are there. Just don't be shy.)

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »

I think it really depends based on your project. Tumblr is pretty chaotic and its archive function is a nightmare, so it's not the best place to share technical devlogs. However, it excels at showing pretty pictures with fancyness.
(One example that truly shines: Totem Teller's Tumblr).
If your game is action-oriented, consider also Twitter: sharing GIFs on the platform and using tags like #indiegame #indiedev is a good way to get noticed.
(In general, I think Twitter is pretty useful for meeting other devs - all the cool kids are there. Just don't be shy.)
I do have a Twitter. However, I also want a place where I can write more insightful posts that aren't capped at 150-some characters. Tongue
lucasblucas
Level 0

@lucasrowe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »

We spent a while making this decision but landed on Medium (https://medium.com/). It may be a little more corporate but I like a lot of what you get, with ease of use at the top of it.

• Writing UX is great
  • Editing UX is less great, but still good
  • Community of blogs and writers helps drive some traction
  • Domain redirects (ex. https://blog.redbluegames.com/)
  • Can now set up navigation links to categories of articles and single articles/li]

Downsides are those that come with most of the hosted solutions.

• Limited, but likely improving, analytics
  • Code snippets aren't easy to display
  • Limited controls on format of articles (I find this to be a useful constraint)
  • Limited branding and theming

We also considered Github Pages, which is free but requires creating your own actual pages and uploading them to Github. Also on the list was Ghost (https://ghost.org/) which is a lightweight blogging platform that can be free if you go through hoops.

Currently working on Sparklite .
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »

We chose Wordpress. I was considering Drupal/Joomla as well, but the ease of Wordpress won in the end.
I like that I have complete control over our home on the web, and I like to have everything unified and not be divided into "company home page, and here is a link to our tumblr." To each their own of course, but I prefer this way.

Ours is here: warpzonestudios.com

OkijinGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

What are the blogging platforms/tools of choice these days for game projects and otherwise putting yourself out there as a developer? I used to use Wordpress back in the day as a hobbyist, but nowadays Tumblr seems to be a popular choice. If anything, I need to start putting myself out there again since I'm hoping to make my first commercial game.

Generally speaking, I'm looking for ease of use and the ability to stay clean and organized, but I'd be really interested to know your reasons for using particular tools and why you prefer them.
Tumblr is definitely easier to use but if you used WP before this may not be a factor. I prefer WP for the flexibility it offers and I actually use it for my whole website (i.e. not just the blog section).

Okijin Games "Fun games to play on the go"
Facebook|Twitter
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »

I use and have been rather enjoying my time with Serendipity.

Before I comment further, let me say that I haven't experimented with many blogging platforms, so I'm not in much of a position to give comparative thoughts.

Initial setup was less easy than I might have liked--although some of that might be my own fault. It's perhaps worth noting here that I'm somewhat inexperienced in website setup, especially the back-end elements thereof.

As to theming, Serendipity comes with a variety of themes, with variable degrees of flexibility. (Most are fairly inflexible, I seem to recall.) With some time and willingness to delve into CSS, at least one of the themes can be reworked a fair bit, albeit within constraints (this is how I themed my own site, as I recall). I think that the functionality to create one's own theme exists, but haven't looked too deeply into that--I think that it may be a bit more involved.

Writing and editing articles is pretty straightforward.

There are a variety of plugins available that extend Serendipity's base functionality, both sidebar-related (such as adding a Twitter timeline) and back-end (such as adding a means of creating reusable page-chunks).

I have encountered a few issues. Two that come to mind are these:
  • The media manager doesn't seem to like animated GIFs (I've ended up showing them via embedded tweets instead)
  • I haven't managed to get the Twitter plugin to add hash-tags when announcing a new blog-post

Overall, I rather like Serendipity. ^_^

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »

I used Squarespace to make our website and used the integrated blog function. Works okay for us.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't realize a slow trickle of responses had come in here.

For those of you using Wordpress, do you recommend a specific plan? Obviously I need at least the "personal" plan so I can oust the "wordpress" part of the domain name, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure which plan is the one I should be gunning for if I go this route.
kroopster
Level 0

Skånerbotten Ltd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »

I'm using Tumblr, the only real drawback I have found is what's mentioned here already: it's not very good if you need to have some sort of index or catalogue type of thing, which would be nice with technical stuff, FAQ's etc. Or maybe it is possible to build something like that, but I suppose Tumblr's core design is not really towards that direction.

The pro's are: super easy set up, good amount of themes available (or you can write your own), well.. pricing, no worries about scalability, quite good customization possibilities, mobile app and the inbuilt tag filtering system which allows you to show content on different parts of the blog based on the tags on posts (allows really fast content flow).

I've been quite happy with Tumblr as a blog site for a game. For analytics I've been using Google Analytics which is obviously really extensive.

Entrepreneur and developer at Skånerbotten Ltd, a small indie studio from western Finland.
RubberMan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »

Hello,

A blog is something I'm currently giving a lot of serious thought to and was sent a list of 10 must have Wordpress blog plug ins from my cousin who has a decent blog following.

Will just list them and maybe they could be of some use. I haven't used them personally so apologies if they are not of any use.

BackWPup
BackUpWordPress
Duplicator
UpdraftPlus
WP DB Back up
BackupBuddy
Vaultpress
BlogVault
UpdraftPlus
Code Guard

Maybe some use in the future or currently for your blog.

Have a lovely day.

Developer of Virtual Earth Online and Orc Island
www.orcisland.com
www.virtualearthonline.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic