Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:21:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject DELTREE - A Puzzle & Dragon like RPG in early access.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project DELTREE - A Puzzle & Dragon like RPG in early access.  (Read 2579 times)
Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »

Project Deltree is a Puzzle and Dragon inspired game being made by one guy in Toronto (me!).

The game is an RPG set in a corrupted virtual world, based on a (partially made up) genre called Gacha-lite. It combines elements of several games, with the look and feel of Crash Frenzy, the combat of Divine Gate and P&D, the gem matching of TsumTsums, with a campaign system similar to Monster Strike.

Alpha - Version 0.1.4
Download Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spectragate.projectdeltree
Download PC - http://spectragate.com/project_deltree/alpha_releases/ProjectDeltree_v0_1_4.zip
Mac - Coming Soon

What is a Gacha game?
Gacha is a free-to-play model used in many Japanese games, such as Puzzle and Dragons and Monster Strike. They usually feature character unlock chance machines and a heavy use of energy systems.

So what is Gacha-lite? Is that even a thing?
While these gameplay models work well for these companies and make them literally billions of dollars, it often overshadows the gameplay itself which can often be quite good. Gacha-lite is my attempt to merge several gameplay elements of these games while having a very forgiving and non-intrusive progression and energy system. I won't make a billion dollars this way, but oh well.
My Word!

• Gem Combat + Attack Rounds - Start matching gems to activate 5 second combat rounds. The more gems you match, the more damage you do based on the character in the leader position. Matching gems with the same colour as your leader gives you bonus damage. After each 5 second round, your team rotates positions and a new leader attacks.
  • P-Skills - Characters in your team charge up abilities over X number of turns. Tapping them activates the ability, which might do damage, heal your team or buff their defenses.
  • G-Skills - Matching more than 6 gems will create a G-Skill gem. These can be linked with other gems during combat, activating bonus attacks and abilities.

• Evolution System - Collect the materials needed from missions to evolve characters to their next form.
  • Enhancement System - Merge characters together to increase their experience and skill levels.
  • Socket System - Push character stats past their maximum by socketing them with special materials.
  • Easy Energy System - Progression through the main campaign costs no energy, ensuring you're progress is not limited by the energy system. To make mission grinding more difficult though, re-running missions costs energy which refreshes every 5 minutes.

The game is a very early prototype, but most of the core features are complete. There's only a few quests at the moment, a handful of characters, there's no actual Gacha machine in the game yet and there is no tutorial. If you want to get an understanding of how to play, I've posted a tutorial video below. I'll be starting a wiki soon with all the information in the game so far. While the project is very early days, you can at least jump in, complete a few missions and get an idea of how the game works.

So What's Next?
Here's the thing - this is a prototype of a genre which has been exploited to hell and back. This is my attempt to focus on the good and scrap the bad. I'll never be able to compete with companies who have millions of dollars behind their social media empires, but I think I can make a decent game.

What I'm looking for from you guys is an expression of interest. I'm going to keep working on this game and developer blog, but while my proof of concept is done I still need to discover if there's an audience for this genre. What you can do to help out is post in this thread or tweet at me (@spectragate) if your interested in this game. I'm interested in seeing how far I can take this game, but I don't want to get too deep into it if there's no audience for it.

Thanks everyone!

Spectragate.com
@Spectragate
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:11:10 AM by Spectragate » Logged

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »

Known Issues (v.0.1.4)

• The full page character listing can scroll past the maximum extents. This is a known bug in Unity and will be fixed once they release the next version.

Found a bug? You can post it in this thread or send an email at [email protected]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:07:08 PM by Spectragate » Logged

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:33:49 AM »

Here's a gameplay overview on how to get started in Project Deltree:

I play through the first mission and explain how to select a mission, how combat works, g-skill abilities and other odds and ends. I'll be covering other topics like P-Skill abilities in a later video. Since there's no in-game tutorial yet, if you have any questions feel free to post in this thread.

Cheers!

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:04:05 AM »

Progress Update 0.1.4

I'm getting close to wrapping up the next version of Project Deltree. The biggest feature in this version is a working Gacha machine! So now you can spend prisms (the currency you collect from completing missions) to roll for random character unlocks. At the moment since the game is still in early access, if you run out of prisms a prompt will appear that lets you add a few extra for free. It will still be very basic and only support one gacha machine, but in later versions this will be updated to daily and weekly events. I'll go into more detail how this works in the full patch post.

There's also a new math system for scaling monsters which will help with balancing. Previously there was one formula for scaling all monsters (based on their rarities, evolution levels and so on). While this worked, it made it difficult to make 'one-off' monsters who might have a very powerful ability but low stats. The new system allows both of these to exist.

0.1.4 will probably be released some time next week. Cheers!

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »

Released: 0.1.4

Hi guys, the new version has been kicked up online for Android and PC. As mentioned in the previous post, the big addition to this version is a gacha machine. It's functionality is pretty basic right now since this whole project is still in 'proof-of-concept' mode. For now you can click the 'Machine' button in the bottom right and you'll be taken to a screen where you can spend 1 or 20 prisms to unlock 1 or 8 crates (prisms are free). These roll for characters between 1 and 5 star rarities, although there's only rarity 1 characters in the game at the moment!

Later if everything goes well I'll be adding in more machines. These will cycle daily so each day has different unlocks. So on Monday there will be a second machine which only rolls red characters, tuesday only rolls green, wednesday is blue, thursday is yellow. Friday is a boost to all colours while saturday and sunday give a chance at rolling materials.

Cheers!

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »

Played a few rounds, its already got a lot of polish for something so early on in production. I never would have guessed that you can make multiple attacks in one turn without some kind of tutorial text. IDK it feels like its missing something that made P&D so grabbing at the start, I'll post again if I think of exactly what it is. Good luck!

Spectragate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »

Played a few rounds, its already got a lot of polish for something so early on in production. I never would have guessed that you can make multiple attacks in one turn without some kind of tutorial text. IDK it feels like its missing something that made P&D so grabbing at the start, I'll post again if I think of exactly what it is. Good luck!

Thanks for checking it out msilver, I appreciate feedback.

In regards to not knowing about multiple attacks, the lack of a tutorial certainly doesn't help at the moment. I made a video a few posts up, but what was meant to be a quick overview turned out to be 7 minutes long! I should make an actual quick overview video that's maybe 1-2 minutes long and link to it in the first post.

Cheers!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic