Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:54:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRise of Lazarus
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Rise of Lazarus  (Read 21543 times)
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »

watch out, hp loss may make game to hard yes but stunning player can make is frustrating, make sure you give game to beta testers for feedback

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »

watch out, hp loss may make game to hard yes but stunning player can make is frustrating, make sure you give game to beta testers for feedback

That's a good point. I definitely want to keep it an uncommon occurrence, and I may keep it out of boss fights for that reason. That's a good idea to test and get feedback. How I decide is "enough" might not line up with others' ideas.

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »

Today, I managed to fix an audio issue that I haven't been able to wrap my head around. Sorry – this sort of post doesn't really offer much eye candy for a devlog...

I wanted to trigger the dragon's wing sound just on certain frames. So, there's an audible gush of air when the wings “flap.” I was able to do this fine when the dragon's image_speed was 1. But in Game Maker, with room speeds of 60, that ends up being a crazy fast animation.

So, if I wanted to set the image_speed to 0.1, which visually looks appropriate at that room speed, it ends up creating odd decimal values throughout the image_index. So, triggering an animation at a precise subimage becomes mathematically complicated. If you're more savvy than I was, you might already know the solution. But it took me a while to arrive at it. At one point, I had the precise decimal image_index flying across the screen where the dragon used to be. I was thinking I needed to hit these exact values in the code, but it never worked - and it was the wrong solution.

In case someone else has this problem in the future and stumbles across this, here's what I was trying to do initially:

Code: (Initial Version)
if (image_index) = 4
{
audio_play_sound(wing_sound,1,false);
}

That code works great with an image_speed or 1, but it's not reliable for any other value. The simple fix is to use Game Maker's floor or round functions to get rid of the decimal values introduced at other speeds. Here's the easy solution:

Code: (Working Version)
if floor(image_index) = 4
{
audio_play_sound(wing_sound,1,false);
}

You can't hear it in this screen (or my celebration when it finally worked) but it feels good to finally solve this pesky problem. For whatever reason, this issue was particularly hard for me to wrap my head around - probably because I couldn't visualize it. It feels good to finally put it to rest.

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2020, 03:19:59 PM »

I wanted to share that visual because it's a good example of my development as of late. It's been dead for a while... but it's slowly moving again.

Honestly, I haven't touched the game in many weeks. Besides the pandemic, I've been busy with other my day job and other projects that have taken priority. I think it's easy for developers to get discouraged when their projects drag on and don't get completed. What's worse is that mindset makes it harder to do the work and actually finish the project. But I have to remind myself I'm a hobbyist who does this in my spare time, and I should acknowledge the things I have done instead of just focusing on what I haven't.

I spent some time this weekend building a new room (it's so new it doesn't even have a door!).

From a game design standpoint, I want to give players a few subtle choices that can impact the story. In this instance, the player chooses whether or not to free this prisoner. Either choice has consequences. I think this sort of encounter is important in a game where there aren't power ups or currency to reward exploration off the beaten path.

On a technical note, while building this room, I finally managed to fix a bug that occasionally caused the first line of dialogue to skip. Once I figured out that the first line appeared if I was fast enough, I finally understood what was happening. The dialogue was never skipping, it was advancing behind the scenes before it was drawn. Once I figured that out, it was a 15 second fix.

More to come soon!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic