Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:27:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesone of the non-trash things about video games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: one of the non-trash things about video games  (Read 602 times)
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »

Is that they don't go out of print

I've been trying to find a copy of the Alien Frontiers board game 'Factions' expansion (second edition) but it's been out of print and i mean c'mooooooooon. Boardgames are great but man I really love digital copies of things hey

I wonder if there'll be some point where significant data starts getting erased completely, or if we're at a point where most of the digital stuff floating around now will be preserved until the end of humankind

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »

board games going out of print is mega annoying
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:11:16 AM »

board games going out of print is mega annoying

Anything you want going out of print is über annoying: was looking for a new skateboard deck the other evening, found one I really liked and then discovered that it's out of print/out of stock/sold out. Some online shops still sell it, but the ones I stumbled upon are sitting in US and ordering a deck from overseas will increase the costs to a level that makes me opt out.

Also: I ordered a physical copy of REZ Infinite b/c I'm afraid they will be hard to obtain once they're out of print (only ima8bit sells the retail copies of this excellent piece of transcendental software).
I don't own a PS4 and I probably won't buy one this year btw.  Shrug

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:31:09 AM »

Board games are esp annoying tho, because limited print runs means you pretty much have to take the plunge on every new game that interests you (unless it's one of few big mainstream ones ofc) or you'll have to wait a year or possibly more to find a new copy.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:26 AM »

Digital games can go "out of print" if they are abandoned by their owners and you have to go to the Dark Internet and download highly illegal warez Cool to play them

But yeah board games are a big problem ESPECIALLY with expansion packs which have a tendency to go out of print much more often/for longer times than the standard game box. I've learned this lesson after waiting for Z-Man to reprint some of their expansions for more than a year now.

Perhaps 3D printing will soon be powerful enough that you can print your own games and not have to worry about print runs.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:46:13 AM »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

That reminds me of an old idea of mine that could solve that problem: take a flexible display, put it in a housing that resembles the Torah and you created a universal versatile board game system.  My Word!

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:54 AM »

btw if you ever get a chance to buy the base alien frontiers game get on it because it's incredible

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic