Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1324863 Posts in 59749 Topics- by 50967 Members - Latest Member: newmecha

December 13, 2017, 01:27:44 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[phased] - Glitchy platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [phased] - Glitchy platformer  (Read 2413 times)
Scorr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 02:24:05 pm »

Game is still being worked on! Trailer coming soon but here's a peek.

skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 10:58:52 pm »

plastic crate vs shudobirb

shudobirb win evrytiem

bonus round:
https://twitter.com/skarik_ehs/status/860021624614957056

http://epichousestudios.com/ aka panty thief inc
skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »

OK! I've been working on the effects lately, trying to get a glitch style for the player to set the visuals apart from the enemy and world glitches. For the blink, I came up with the following: https://twitter.com/skarik_ehs/status/861846474526568448 #shamelessplugs

I had been wanting to change the player effects for a while. I saw Doctor Strange (movie) over the weekend and it gave me a much better idea of what I wanted to see

I kind of want fractalish design - but that won't work because that's over my current knowledge and time constraints. SO, I make it more like refraction through some sort of crystal, where parts of the world have repeated and flipped components, almost like a kaleisoscope. That makes it a Unity Grabpass material since I'm short on time and don't want to expose the scene render buffer.

notes

The first step for that crystal is to generate the faucets for it. I wanted a hexagonal triangle pattern that would repeat. To do this, I started with squares created from world coordinates (more on that later) that have a unique integer XY id. From the squares, I offset either the top or the bottom of the row by the local Y (see notes above) to get paralellograms that alternate their slant each row. The parararajellograms can be easily split diagonally into triangles, which results in the following:

Whoopsie, it's clamped. Levels in phased often go into the negative in the coordinate system. So, after fighting with the signs and ints and uints for a few minutes, finally got what I wanted:

triangles! everywhere!

the color in those two images is a debug color. it's filled in with something like the following:

Code:
int2 shapeid = geoTriangles(world_position);

int id = shapeid.x + shapeid.y * 128;
color.r = 0.5F * (id % 3);
color.g = 0.5F * ((id / 3) % 3);
color.b = 0.5F * ((id / 9) % 3);

It's not used in the final result but it has a large enough range of colors (27 I think?) to easily distinguish the full pattern. 9/10 would recommend

The geoTriangles (and geoSquares and geoParrelelelelograms) take in world coordinates. Because it's a grabpass using material, it would have probably been easier to make it screen coordinares and keep everything consistent in that manner - but that is a disaster gameplay-wise. Some of the previous effects have been very jarring because they don't stay constant with the world. That was a big big motivation here: a glitch effect that looks like a part of the world rather than another post process. I dont have a gif for it but the end result is that I can shake the renderer like shakira, and colored triangles stay in their places

For the actual kaleidoscope effect, the idea is super simple: we sometimes mirror coordinates. For each 4x4 group of triangles, toggle between flipped X and flipped Y based on the XY shape ids. Flipping the X and Y is done around the triangle's world X and Y position. The code for it is something like this:

Code:
float2 l_texCoordRounded = float2(shapeid.x * 0.5, shapeid.y) * SquareWidth; // triangles are double packed in X
l_texCoord.x = (shapeid.x & 0x1) ? (l_texCoordRounded.x * 2 - l_texCoord.x) : l_texCoord.x;
l_texCoord.y = (shapeid.y & 0x1) ? (l_texCoordRounded.y * 2 - l_texCoord.y) : l_texCoord.y;

Flipping around the world X and Y position means that I'm no longer working in surface coordinates for the screen texture, but world coordinates. Before sampling the grabpass scene, I have to move the world coordinates, flipping and all, back into surface coordinates. The extra work is super-ultra worth it because it keeps the effect very stable even as the camera does its wierd nonsense.

kaleidoscope!

At this point I opened a bottle of sake and combined with 4 hours of sleep it turns out I forgot to record what I was doing. In short, I added two more aspects: a random world offset by triangle ID, and a glittering effect that is simply specular lighting with normals generated by the triangle ID. You can sort of make out the glitter here:

It came out to about 110 lines of fairly readable shader code that I immediately pulled out and threw into a CGINC file.

Quick note that I havent optimized anything. Shaders with this stuff are averaging between 70 and 100 instructions still, so it's very slow. All in all, to this stage took me about four hours - 80% of my night

lunch is ending for me now, surely will keep writing about other effects another time
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:06:52 pm by skarik » Logged

skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:40 am »

At our demo this weekend, we found that players seem to forget or have issues remembered how to use the powers. We don't really make an effort to teach them, so we've started to change that.

We're first trying out drop-in tutorials: player gets an ability and is dropped into a small tutorial area. I personally want the transition to be as seamless as possible to make it feel as less as a handholdy tutorial as possible.

I spent last night learning Unity's new-ish scene management system, and got a simple prototype for the idea working. Player gets power, game starts to load the tutorial. Soon player is teleported to the tutorial. The player gets to the end and teleports back - which is just re-enabling the scene (it's never unloaded, so the tutorial realm could end up interacting with the real realm at one point).

scene transition in motion

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 07:35:21 am »

That sounds really smooth, is that with the additive scene loading? Looking brilliant as always!

skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 07:14:47 am »

That sounds really smooth, is that with the additive scene loading? Looking brilliant as always!

Thanks! It's with the additive scene loading, yes.

I spent most of last night fixing nullrefs, but did manage to smooth the camera positions so when entering the tutorial, the camera positions for the player are identical:

Progress~

skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:06 am »

Spent some time on visuals, using the collection of shader code made in the earlier post.

There are two new shaders for this: the overlay for the world that distorts it, and the glowing platforms. Not entire sure if I like how the platforms look when the player isn't nearby - though that may be because of the visually disruptive screen distortion.

amanfr01
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 10:19:36 am »

I love the distortion effect on that wired-fence like object. Or platform.

The distorted nature looks spectacular!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

* The Wayward Isles * Call of Saregnar *

My Tutorial Series on Video Game Music!
skarik
Level 0

i eat kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2017, 05:34:40 pm »

I love the distortion effect on that wired-fence like object. Or platform.

The distorted nature looks spectacular!

Thank you!

I'm pretty exhausted at the moment, so I'm not going to go into too much detail.

Source:

To summarize:
* Transition effect added
* Increased FoV of the player area slightly
* Cyan radial gradient added, centered around tutorial area exit
* Found some neato SFX and added them, with the best chords centered around tutorial area exit

Scorr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 01:25:39 pm »

Long time no update, but that's because we've been hard at work on something very special; our own custom lighting solution designed specifically for Phased.

Here we can see the system in action:

For the programmers amongst us who want to know the technical details, this is achieved by carefully placing a triangular sprite that has a nice daffodil yellow hue. This technology offers the flexibility to finely craft lighting based on our needs. Through the power of Unity™ we can even use rotations for some avant-garde results:

Unfortunately this is the very opposite of "aesthetically pleasing" so we had to roll it back. As they say in gamedev: iteration is key.

Coming back to the first screenshot, you'll notice some clipping with the stairs. This makes it look like the concrete stairs are absorbing the light into itself in order to become a higher form of stairs. Whilst an interesting result, we didn't want the player to encounter light-imbued stairs until later in the game, so we devised a solution to perk in its powers early-game:

Here you can see we cancel out the light using a custom light-absorbing sprite. We can't use too many of these due to risk of black holes, but one or two should be fine. This gives us the results we want:

Tune in next time to find out how we used duct tape to hold together our editor tools.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:40:17 pm by Scorr » Logged
archgame
Level 1

Fresh Builds, Buildings, & Beats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:16 am »

I really like the kaleidoscope effect. Is there a glitch mechanic that acts spatially? I really like the idea of it playing into puzzles.

For your street lights, is there a way you could put the light between the ground and the background? Right now it's not cutting out along the steps (which i'll admit I didn't notice until you explained the light blocking rectangle). The art is look really quality so far.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic