Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:49:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGreenlight Devader, bad idea?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Greenlight Devader, bad idea?  (Read 1293 times)
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »

I've been working on my game (Devader) for about a year now and want to eventually release it on steam. I only just noticed I can't do any kind of achievement/leaderboard stuff until my game is greenlit. So I've been putting together a few things pretty quickly (screenshots and video).

will I be shooting myself in the foot by releasing a fairly bad quality video for greenlight? My machine does not seem to be fast enough to play the game and record at high quality. I didn't notice anything while recording.

I really don't want to have to buy better hard-ware just for a video and delay development until then. Getting greenlit will take some time anyway as far as I unterstand.

promo image for greenlight:

one of the actual screenshots:

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:33:17 AM »

It's fun to come back from time to time and see that the games I've playtested in the past are still alive.  Tongue

I'm not sure what you mean by "fairly bad quality". If you're talking about resolution, 720p should be fine.

Don't show a video like waves 0-5 though, it gets boring pretty quick. Think movie trailers - we don't get to see a single long clip, we get lots of jump cuts and text to get more context on what is happening. Epic music and/or narration can help too.

Good luck!

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »

If there's at least one thing I can say, it's that it took me literally 1min15 to understand what the playable character was shooting at (and at start it took me about 20 or 25s to guess who was the playable character itself). You can take that however you wish Smiley Good luck anyway (I'm not really on Greenlight so I have no idea what the standards are)!

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »

thanks for the feedback!
@Kyuugatsu: yeah still alive and well Smiley

with fairly bad quality I mean the jumpy frames and the washed out look :S
movie trailers is probably the right approach, I'm just not a movie maker Smiley so that task is a bit difficult for me.

the question is, will it be important to have a high quality video to get through green light?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »

it's not really important , as long as the gameplay is understandable.

The problem with jumpy frames, is that people will just assume the game is laggy and this might lead to people voting no for this reason, especially there, where 1st impression is the most important.

If i were you i'd ask a friend or someone who has a better machine to record some footage for you.

(imo i think your video is fine for greenlight standard but adding some variety in the background or gameplay would probably accelerate your greenlit status.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:57:33 AM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »

@Grhyll: sorry, I did not respond directly to your comment. I will add some kind of indicator to the players character at the game start, so that it is obvious who you are! thanks for that Smiley
@b∀ kkusa: I think you are right and it's just stupid if I don't do this correctly. I've just ordered a new graphics card, costs way less than the time I have invested so far Roll Eyes .

I will also make the trailer shorter and try to show off a bit more functionality, so that it does not come accross as boring!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »

@Grhyll: sorry, I did not respond directly to your comment. I will add some kind of indicator to the players character at the game start, so that it is obvious who you are! thanks for that Smiley
@b∀ kkusa: I think you are right and it's just stupid if I don't do this correctly. I've just ordered a new graphics card, costs way less than the time I have invested so far Roll Eyes .

I will also make the trailer shorter and try to show off a bit more functionality, so that it does not come accross as boring!

If you need any help with the trailer, let me know. I am a video editor and I'm willing to help out a fellow dev.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »

@alvarop: that would be pretty amazing. I guess I should get some stuff together first before I waste your time? first thing will be getting some better footage with a new graphic card. I was watching some tutorial/info and I now know I should be recording the game without music, so that I can add music later Smiley I will also need some footage of my logo and some kind of character introduction. maybe I need that for the game anyway... damn Smiley ... as Grhyll stated, he didnt even know which object was the player...

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »

@alvarop: that would be pretty amazing. I guess I should get some stuff together first before I waste your time? first thing will be getting some better footage with a new graphic card. I was watching some tutorial/info and I now know I should be recording the game without music, so that I can add music later Smiley I will also need some footage of my logo and some kind of character introduction. maybe I need that for the game anyway... damn Smiley ... as Grhyll stated, he didnt even know which object was the player...

Add me on discord if you use it and I can help you plan out / brainstorm it. As I said, I'm open to make this process easier for you so you can worry about the important things : the gam.

Alvarop#6097

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:09 AM »

As already pointed out, the video needs a more "trailer"-esque style to it. In my opinion, nothing is really "in your face" enough to generate and keep the watcher's attention. The game/trailer needs some kind of pitch to sell itself beyond just showing wholesale gameplay.

Also, since it was brought up, I'm curious:

Getting greenlit will take some time anyway as far as I unterstand.

I could be tunnel visioning on success stories here, but I thought it was significantly easier and faster to get greenlit these days. At any rate, I'm hoping to get greenlit at some point too, so that information is useful to me as well.
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »

thats what I have heard too, but I have never gone through the process yet. but making a better trailer is probably a good idea anyway, so thats what I will do Smiley

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »

Re: Greenlight - It's faster than it once was, but unless you have some source of external traffic to your Greenlight page the process will still take ages and you could be stuck there for six months or even longer. The votes from within Steam itself won't be enough to take you across the line unless you get an unusually high 'yes' rate.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 03:02:53 AM »

Yeah, thats what I just noticed. It started out ok, but now I'm down to nearly 0 views. So I have got myself a little twitter account, but I am a total novice...

Maybe something like this would be ok?

Meet Tentaclos the colossal tentacle monster in Devader #gamedev #greenlight
http://imgur.com/a/TfmEd

The link is to a gif, that I uploaded to imgur, but I dont think you can link to it from tigsource??

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic