Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411997 Posts in 69443 Topics- by 58487 Members - Latest Member: Umiii7

June 17, 2024, 06:34:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNight Game (name pending) (gif heavy)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Night Game (name pending) (gif heavy)  (Read 1722 times)
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »

An exploratory platformer, not sure what to name it & I'm still figuring things out as I go. Been tweeting about this for a while so I thought I would finally make a devlog for it. While there's a lot of emphasis on platforming, I also want the game to be kinda ambient and have a chill atmosphere.

Platforming and a tiny bit of exploration from an early build. One big feature is that you can walljump, and slopes maintain your speed when you jump off them. Wanted to make platforming feel nice with some added depth for potential speedrunners or skilled players.

Basic enemy AI I was working on for a while, the hop he makes when waking up was a coding accident that I kept in because it looks nice.

Each stage has an ending but along the way you can find these stars if you explore or want to take on difficult challenges. I'm not sure what they will be used for, maybe unlocking extra platforming-focused challenge stages.

The pickup effect is a result of me messing with easing functions, I kinda like how chaotic it looks. Might tone it down a bit though.

Will post more as I go along.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »

Nice! Looks cool. I do think the Limbo/Badland look feels a little bit played out but hey that's just me. Movement seems smooth and responsive, would love to try it out!

Petter

Twitter: @pbergmar
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »

Thanks!

I haven't played Limbo or Badlands but the art style is heavily influenced by night sky

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »

It looks like a pixelated version of Night Sky, with much tighter aesthetic sensibilities in my opinion. It's looking quite good at the moment!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »

thank you! glad you like the aesthetics.

TEENY TINY UPDATE:

made it so you can jump on this nerd's head.  Noir
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:31:41 PM by Molten_ » Logged

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »

so, since the first stage is shaping up nicely & I've already figured out what I want this game to be about (exploration and platforming) I have decided to step away from the first stage and start working on the other environments. the goal is to nail down the aesthetic for each area, and then work from there.

here's a temple environment

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:11 AM »

Yes yes yes, more night sky!
this looks really nice!

MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »

Have you ever played Kirby and the Magic Mirror? This reminds me of one of my favorite powers from that game: the Wheel!

Writer and Composer for media. Check out my work!
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »

thanks for the encouragement both of you! I have played a bit of kirby and I like the wheel a lot as well.

update:

I made a simple lighting system for different area in the game, in this area as a placeholder for now. it's a pretty classic game maker effect (using surfaces and subtractive blend modes) but I've always liked the way it looks in games like spelunky and nuclear throne.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »

while the soft lighting is interesting looking, I decided to switch to a more defined shape because I think it fits the "clean" aesthetic I'm going for much better. will probably tinker with it as I go along, but I'm pretty happy with it right now.

now to move onto the environment this effect is designed for.

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »

Oooh, yeah, those crisp shadows look a lot better. Idea, you could have the mid-tone, rather than black, on the areas that you've been through - like clearing fog of war in an RTS but not having units there anymore.

By the way, generally speaking, color theory says (according to a pixel art tutorial I read six years ago) to make shadows and very dark areas a deep purple rather than jet black. I think that would look really good with all your color scheme's cools.

It looks like it could be a lot of fun. I couldn't load Night Sky for a comparison, tho. Is that the platformer about being a tank abandoned on a hostile planet after you destroy their capital city? First thing that came to mind. The stretching and squishing of the player character really adds a lot to the feel of the game. One last comment, I don't know if it's just for demo/example purposes, but I think having such small areas and no scrolling on maps will hurt your game, considering the emphasis on exploration and momentum.

Anyways I'm glad I saw this, hope to get to play it one day.

lobstersteve
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »

That looks nice Smiley i like the simplicity. reminds me of the nifflas games Smiley
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »

Looks fun! I like the subtle touches that make the atmosphere feel both clean and simple but also surreal and interesting, specifically the style of the bushes and those moving orb tree leaves. I also like the varied areas in the first gif where you drop into that white misty region

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »

thank you all very much for your feedback and support Coffee

@7heSama: I like you fog-of-war idea, I don't know if I will add it for the specific stage I'm thinking of, but it could be cool to add in a different stage as a gameplay mechanic.

haven't gotten much done, been feeling a little bit of the pre-christmas blues. however coffee and a surprise day off of work tomorrow has given me some motivation, so I got some stuff done.

first, there's a very subtle transition effect between screens. the gif is 30fps & the game runs at 60fps so that's why it's kinda hard to see here. wanted it to be as short as possible to not hinder gameplay.

in addition to looking nice, this also serves a secondary function. but first I need to explain what I'm doing.

to simplify the art style even more, I have decided to render all tiles to a surface with no alpha. but why??? well, the reason is so that I can also draw sprites to the same surface, then draw the whole surface with half alpha as the background. but ... why would you want to do that?

this means I could animate background objects (such as manipulating image angle, like the tree branches), without causing any alpha overlap between multiple objects and tiles as well. this would look more professional and would fit in line with the overall art style.

however as a result of my tile drawing method, there is a slight delay where tiles are not drawn when a room starts. this is less obvious with the transition, basically.

once I start adding animated background objects the method will become obvious, but right now the only thing being drawn is tiles so it it has no effect yet. this also means that there is (visually) only one background layer.

I wanted to do this to make sure that the gradients are never hidden by too much tile clutter, as I feel the gradients are an essential part of the atmosphere and aesthetic. this is also why I made the lights hard-edged.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »

added some splashes of water to the rain effect.

I also automated the length of the raindrops. before I was using tiles to hide the rain below solid objects, now the game cuts off the rain at the correct spot. it took me way too long to get the code for that working Epileptic Hand Any Key

high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 09:18:27 PM »

Looks beautiful! Any ideas for the audio?
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »

Looks good, the transition effect isn't bothersome at all, it would probably be more jarring to just cut to a new level.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »

Ooo reminds me of Knytt and that's a good thing. Love the fluidity of the ball movement. The silhouette style really is pretty, and I love that rainy temple scene!  Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic