Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:14:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFirst person platforming adventure prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First person platforming adventure prototype  (Read 720 times)
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »

Hi all,

I've been working on a new control scheme for a first person platforming adventure game. The aim was to make an accessible interface for first person games, that could be used on simple VR devices as well.

The result is this!
http://lumoconnor.com/demos/FPSDemo/index.html

Simply look around and click to shoot a box. You then teleport to the boxes final resting position. I wanted to make a game that even my mum could play, that would still be fun for more traditional gamers.

Please, have a go, and let me know what you think!

Some questions to consider:
  • What is your favourite thing about the demo?
  • What is your least favourite thing about the demo?
  • What other additional elements would you like to see in this game?
  • If you had a magic wand you could use to change anything about the game, what would it be?

Thanks very much for your time!

conmarap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »

That was challenging-ly interesting. I really like it as a concept and I can see how you can make this into a great game! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

What I'd like to see is me falling off a cliff and loosing points. That part kind of looks like you're trying to hold my hand and make sure I do well.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »

Clever concept that might give way to some interesting puzzles particularly if you add different materials to bounce off of. Its sort of a simple golf game, I'd measure someone's score by how many shots it takes to get the cubes.

Screen Shot:

I would make it so that the FPS pointer is where the cube lands. So if you point to a place it will adjust the vertical velocity to make it land at the correct location using the quadratic equation. Its annoying to have to point very far up into space to make the cube land in the correct spot and you lose site of the target.

Also, I would smooth out the transition to the new location you move to after the cube lands. So I'd just run the code:

Code:
CurrentPosition = Lerp(CurrentPosiition,CubeLandingPosition,Time.deltaTime * 5)

Then its a lot easier to understand the concept that you are moving to the place the cube lands.

Its an interesting concept, hope it works out.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Both of you mentioned adding a kind of scoring system - I think a golf system like msilver suggested could be quite interesting. That way, any shots that fall into the void below would negatively impact your score.

@msilver: I had considered lerping to a new position but decided upon the instant teleport instead because I'm building this for VR, and I get nauseous when the camera moves and I don't! I'd also played around with changing the controls so that where you point is where the cube will land. However, this changes the gameplay quite drastically, and I feel as though the current setup requires a bit more skill from the player. What I can try to do is to change the level design so that the player doesn't have to fire blindly up into the air as much.

Thanks again. Appreciate the input.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »

Cool! I think maybe the player has too much control of where the cube ends up? I'm not sure, but now it's almost like you click somewhere and almost precisely where you click the cube and you will end up. Or maybe I'm missing the point?

Twitter: @pbergmar
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

You may be right. That could actually be an interesting parameter to tweak for more challenging levels - I can change the shape of the thrown object to make it a bit harder to control, or change the physics materials to make things a bit more slippery and bouncy.

theproof
Level 0

Nothing is impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »

Very cool concept to "transport" the player through the level. Maybe you should reduce the amount of rolling of the cube, because sometimes I don't land where I wanted to.

All in all, well done Smiley

cheers & happy development,
TheProof
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »

Thanks!

Question to you fine playtesters: is the objective of collecting all the shiny things enough? I'm doubting the whole thing at the moment and have pondered art style changes, as well as switching to a more puzzle based gameplay.

here's what it looks like now...

theproof
Level 0

Nothing is impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »

Well, IMHO for a concept test like this the collecting task works perfect - for a full game it' little to less I would say. But that is just my opinion!

cheers & happy development,
TheProof
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic