Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:57:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralNew MacbookPro (theres a ~touch bar~)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: New MacbookPro (theres a ~touch bar~)  (Read 3124 times)
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

Any Mac users here? I don't use one, but I saw the ad for this and noticed the touch bar:

That escape key is virtual now:

I've had bad dreams about being inside a game and not being able to press an escape key to pause it

Also, who wants to constantly lift their hands that far over the keyboard to be constantly working at the top? When I press the media keys on my keyboard i have to lift my arms from their natural resting position. Doing that constantly would suck incredibly

Or maybe i'll touch one and ill Get It instantly and fall in love with it idk

bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »

Touch my bar, etc.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

stop hating. it's The Future™ and therefore automatically good.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:51:55 AM »

Now I have to remove function key use from my game since those keys are gone. F1 for help, F5 for saving, F6 for loading etc. Lips Sealed

Other than that it looks neat.

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:15 AM »

Next step: adding a keys bar to an iPad.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:26:10 AM »

Now I have to remove function key use from my game since those keys are gone. F1 for help, F5 for saving, F6 for loading etc. Lips Sealed

Other than that it looks neat.

I think it can show function keys too so likely it isn't problem. Or just make them configurable?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

i have the pc type of computer
andrewgrewell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »

I get that Apple is trying to 'innovate' but I think it would make more sense to just have whatever is shown in the touch bar as a bar on screen. It wouldn't be as snazzy but the users focus is already on the screen, and their hands are likely closer to the trackpad then the top of the keyboard.
Also, I more often than not use my laptop as a desktop with a keyboard and monitor attached, in which case it doesn't make sense for me to reach all the way over to the laptop to interact with this magical bar.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »

Apple's in the bizarre market position of being able to make up any stupid shit and people will buy it even if it actively impedes the utility of the product
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »

Apple's in the bizarre market position of being able to make up any stupid shit and people will buy it even if it actively impedes the utility of the product

apple and microsoft are the exact same, wake up sheeple
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »

Nah microsoft's is more "well what are you gonna do if we fuck you over anyway - change your entire domain infrastructure?"

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »

CourageTM

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
zarxto
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 02:22:45 AM »

Sister has a mac, but I always found them super expensive. Or something on those lines.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:24:42 AM »

I wish I could use macOS on non-Apple hardware (yes, there are Hackintoshes, but they aren't as stable). Or that the third-party software I use came for Linux.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2016/10/27/new-macbook-pros-and-the-state-of-the-mac/

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:21 AM »

ive never used a mac
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »

it annoys me when people say they are smart for liking macbooks and then pay triple price compared to a non-mac machine of equal specs

Everything about the business is so patronizing, the way they force you to buy from their exclusive stores, frequently change plugs/ports to blatantly force purchasing of new peripherals and adapters. So many people's identity seems to hinge on keeping up with the latest overpriced iThing from Apple, as though people need to prove they are able to afford these things to feel accepted.

Microsoft make changes that frustrate their customers a lot, but I don't often see this same connection between personal self-worth and what 'generation' your gadget is from in the world of PC's

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 07:03:25 AM »

I would one day like to see a mechanical keyboard where each key is a micro-display, that would be very cool.

My current keyboard has a light under each key which can be set to any color, being able to assign each key a full color icon/thumbnail would be even better, the displays could also play animations as feedback individually (per key) or as a whole "tv wall" kind of thing

That "clock-wipe" effect to show a spell cooling down could be going on underneath your finger on the hotkey for that spell

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »

it annoys me when people say they are smart for liking macbooks and then pay triple price compared to a non-mac machine of equal specs

agreed. for the same price you can get a "gaming laptop" that is impossible to carry around without major back injury, has about 45 minutes of battery life (idle), a touchpad with a will of its own and breaks the first time you drop it. but it's all worth it for the experience of playing crysis on the bus for 5 minutes and, most importantly feeling superior to those elitist apple hipsters.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »

I have no idea why Apple opted for their Butterfly keyboard mechanism. Even its second iteration is worse than their revered keyboard from their older MacBooks, which is a far-cry from a mechanical keyboard but it's one of the best thin laptop keyboards.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic