Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:15:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMainasutto: I'm not Alone || A Metroidvania Where Your Choices Matter!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Mainasutto: I'm not Alone || A Metroidvania Where Your Choices Matter!  (Read 25066 times)
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

The mind behind Mainasutto

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »

Wishlist on Steam Now!

< PREMISE >

Mainasutto: I'm not Alone is a metroidvania about time, set on a dark fantasy world,
where decision making is crucial for our protagonists to save their timeline.

< SYNOPSIS >

Time stopped, and creatures of this world have been living within the same night for years,
yet no one remembers the time this happened or the world before this.

Occasionally the hands of a mysterious clock appear in the sky, some called it the Doomsday Clock,
and no one knows what will happen when the hands return to the beginning.

The Council, who now rules and control what the world can or cannot do, discovered a way to make the hands move,
however, there are some individuals who have been able to remember their life before the "incident"
and try to stop them since these could be bringing the world to an end,
they formed a group of rebels calling themselves Reminiscence.

Both The Council and Reminiscence search for the pieces of a mysterious artifact that seems to have
the power to control time if its pieces are put together

You enter here, taking control of Keybold and Ebura members of opposing groups,
can you make the right decisions to save the world?

< SCREENSHOTS >

< FEATURES >

Non-Lineal Exploration
Explore each barrier of temporal corruption and discover the different areas seeking to
save your timeline, in a dreamlike, dark and corrupt world.

Self-Paced Combat
Attack, dash, parry and attack again! or just relax and explore the world and do some sidequest.
Level up, learn new skills, meet new friends and enemies, or just go and fight every boss and
complete the game as fast as possible.
It's your choice!

Completionist?
Discover the world where time stops, and explore this cursed vast lands full of different characters!
Find over 100 quests, multiple companions and optional areas to test your skills
while an epic pixel art & chiptune soundtrack follow you during your adventure.

Customize Yourself
Discover new skills, collect soul fragments, equip yourself with upgrades and
change your weapon according to your combat style.
Experiment with different combinations and discover the one you like the most.

Choose Your Side
Play 2 sides of the same story! Ebura's "Reminiscense" story and Keybold's "Council" story,
two rival clans looking for the same but with different visions.
Your choices will lead one of the clans to the victory.

Change The Future
Change our destiny, save your friends, kill your enemies, make a choice.
Every action matters, every decision you make, every path you take, and every character you met,
may change the future of this world and the length of our story.
Would you get all the endings?

< FOLLOW THE JOURNEY >

Discord | Steam | Twitter

« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:16:51 AM by DAndrëwBox » Logged

|| Steam || Twitter || Discord ||
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 07:06:11 AM »

Yesterday I worked on a new dialog system inspired on Heartbeast script, and doing some improvements, I did something like what I show in the video. Smiley

(it haven't any sound already)

EDIT:
Actually I manage to improve the dialog system, changing the expresions in-dialog, adding a "voice" to it and an intro to the dialog inspired on Castlevania: SotN as you can see on the gif and video below.

(Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

(Mainasutto: INA)

(Now with sound)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:41:32 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:44:28 PM »

Neat concept, following!

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »

Last night I was working on a new logo to the Chapter transition, 'cause I actually don't like too much the old one and I want to use a dark background with it (Actually the same colour that I'll use on the game over screen). So, with a bit of photoshop and new colour palette, I did this. Smiley

Original.

(Old crappy logo)                                 (New logo)

Extended.(x2)

(Old extended logo)                                                                                 (New logo)

Oh!, and also,
Neat concept, following!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:41:40 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »

Adding to the alst post, I wanna put some "HP" bars to enemies of the game, and them will appear when you hit them, but I can't decide which one of this bar could use.
So, If you could help me with this could be awesome. Smiley

(The background colour is actually the default colour of the screen)

Thanks!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »

Although I didn't see your progress with the old logos / text / etc., I can say that the newest logos / text / etc. are magnificent. It's always a joy to see how developers progress!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »

This looks quite nice! I think you should decide which HP bar to use, as only you know your game!

As for the text box sound effect... it's actually rather annoying when it's played repeatedly for long periods of time like it is in the video. For short sentences, it's not a problem, but it very quickly gets old. You might want to try a little more variety in the pitch and volume or something in order to keep it from bothering your players. xP

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »

I like the look! :D

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »

Although I didn't see your progress with the old logos / text / etc., I can say that the newest logos / text / etc. are magnificent. It's always a joy to see how developers progress!

Hey, thank you!
I feel very bad for not having started since the beginning of Mainasutto the devlog here. I say this because it could better tell the difference over time, however, thank you very much!

This looks quite nice! I think you should decide which HP bar to use, as only you know your game!

As for the text box sound effect... it's actually rather annoying when it's played repeatedly for long periods of time like it is in the video. For short sentences, it's not a problem, but it very quickly gets old. You might want to try a little more variety in the pitch and volume or something in order to keep it from bothering your players. xP

Actually, I did a poll on my facebook page about how bar should I use and at least the decision I had made agree with who had taken those following this game a while ago, hahaha. Shrug
Also, thank you!, I'll do something with the sfx of the voice in order that dialogue sequences wouldn't so annoying. Smiley

I like the look! :D

It's very appreciated!

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »

Isn't too much, but I spend the morning looking for references to make a sprite like a "transition door" (I have no idea of how to draw doors) to the zones of the game.

(Example of transition doors on metroidvanias)

So, I decided to make the sprite based on the same style of Castlevania:SotN (My favourite metroidvania), and well, there it's. Smiley

(Step by step)

Adding some animation like the opposite "open style" and...

(Original size     VS     x2 size)

Now all that remains to do is, make the programming of the door switch and (maybe) add a glowing border of some color. Shrug

EDIT:
Actually I wanna show too you the last track that Erik did to a boss battle. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:42:01 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »

Hey everyone!,
After a long morning with university projects and those things, I finally manage to implement the doors to the game. Smiley
So, if you're interested on watch how it works, watch out the video below!

(Transition doors system)

Also, I add a GUI to the debug mode showing some things about the game itself on the right-bottom corner.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »

I'm glad to see that you've got a transition from door-to-door working properly! A very important element of the game for a Metroidvania, that's for sure Smiley

Looks good! I like how the door swings open horizontally.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »

I'm glad to see that you've got a transition from door-to-door working properly! A very important element of the game for a Metroidvania, that's for sure Smiley

Looks good! I like how the door swings open horizontally.

A lot thanks!, I really love to add some metroidvania aspects to the game, specially 'cause those are my favourite kind of games. Hahahaha. Smiley

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 01:25:29 AM »

I'm having a lot of troubles to resume the project 'cause university things, so, on these days I was making a simple battle system and adding stats to the player, making an algorithm like:
(Player STR + weapon ATK) - Enemy DEF = Total damage

So then, I decided to add the "is_crit" var, which makes that the hit was affected by the Player's luck stat. Making thing a bit more complex, like, if your LUCK value is less or equal to a random number between 0 and 100, then,
(2 * Player STR) + (wpn_atk+(a random float number between 0 and wpn_atk)) - (Enemy DEF / 2) = Total Damage

Making it code takes me a while and a lot of testing, and a part of the crit code was like this.

Code:
if (!is_crit) {
    total_damage = clamp((global.STR + wpn_atk) - other.DEF, 0, global.STR+wpn_atk);
} else {
    total_damage = ((global.STR*2) + (get_wpn_stat('STR')+random_range(0,get_wpn_stat('STR'))) - (other.DEF/2);
};

with(spawn_here(vfx_hitted)) {
    image_index = 4 - round(total_damage/100);
};

Creating the hit effect that you could see when the player hits an enemy on the video below. Smiley
Also, the enemy is just a dummy slime that doesn't have any physics on this world and will be deleted someday. Shrug

(Basic battle system)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:36:00 AM by D-Andrew » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »

hey, looks interesting! Posting to follow Smiley

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »

The game looks promising, I don't see a lot of content yet, but everything that's in looks well polished (the door transition feels exactly right).
I'm sorry about your team abandoning the project, that sucks and we see a lot on indie development. Not everyone has the energy to keep developing for a long time, and on a lot of times is not their fault as well. You said that there's a new sound designer on the project, his work sounds great! Good luck developing the game!
Following! Smiley

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 01:48:33 AM »

hey, looks interesting! Posting to follow Smiley

So much thanks!, I'm glad you're interested. Smiley

The game looks promising, I don't see a lot of content yet, but everything that's in looks well polished (the door transition feels exactly right).
I'm sorry about your team abandoning the project, that sucks and we see a lot on indie development. Not everyone has the energy to keep developing for a long time, and on a lot of times is not their fault as well. You said that there's a new sound designer on the project, his work sounds great! Good luck developing the game!
Following! Smiley

Thank you, I try to develop a very polished idea of what I want to do before put it in the game.
And thanks, those things happens, but well, life goes on and indie devs like us must learn to overcome these things on our own, or at least to "improvise". Shrug

And again, thank you!, we'll try to do everything possible to have a demo soon so you can enjoy it. Grin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:36:36 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

Few days without updates, but I was working so hard on make a lot of things!

First of all, I finally applied the enemy hp bar to the game, so you can see how it looks in game to choose one if you didn't do that. Smiley
Next, added to that, I programmed the hp decrease numbers to the enemy and the player, with a fancy animation of appearing and disappearing and the hit animation. With that, I applied the critical hits as you can see on the video below.

Oh, and finally I add the "Watch outside the screen" (how  like to call it) effect, it wasn't hard, but seems a bit buggy on the video.

(Fall Damage and more!)

I forget to tell two things, I use the "watch back" effecto to pick up some items, watch some signs and enter to certain doors.
And, yesterday we was doing some conceptual arts of a friendly NPC who will help you on your travel to unlock his best ending. Smiley

He is called Houndfox and is a wizard and the king of Rusevine. Shrug

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »

fox wizard.

freaking sold

(of course all the other progress is fantastic, I just really like the concept of a fox wizard)

high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »

Love the artwork and the characters, following!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic