Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:06:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePrototype #4 : Citi Planner [Puzzle game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Prototype #4 : Citi Planner [Puzzle game]  (Read 2138 times)
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »

Download here

This is my latest prototype that I made in the space of a weekend. The idea was to have a grid like building layout and that structures have relationships with each other. For example, if residential buildings are near schools you will get an extra education + happiness. Some relationships have trade offs that you'll have to make.

In this prototype I just wanted to see if the game would actually provide any sort of entertainment value, and so far I've gotten a "Maybe" out of it. Let me know if you enjoy it.

To explain the icons at the bottom, this is a tally of all the resources given and taken away from you. The first line represents education, happiness, health, safety and wealth. The icons on the left are negative representations and the ones on the right are positive representations. The number in the middle, are the positives minus the negatives.

I like turtles.
frekir
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »

Well, I won, but I didn't do any thinking when doing it. I was just clicking away, if numbers went up I kept it, otherwise I moved it back.

Well, It's kind of entertaining, but it needs something, but I can't figure out what.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »

i like the idea, maybe even a lot, but i found it hard to gauge what did what and what had what effects, &c.

definitely has good potential though Smiley
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »

Right, perhaps I'll try to build ontop of this prototype a little more and see if I can do more with the game idea. I had some ideas on how to make the game a bit harder and more interesting.

Thanks for trying it out!

I like turtles.
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

It reminds me of laying out cities in Spore.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

To paraphrase what I said on IRC, I think the basic idea has merit, but it has two main issues in its current state: the learning curve, and a need for more tactile, nice feeling gameplay.

If you can get the act of shuffling buildings around to be fun all by itself, I think you're golden. I think little things like rollover animations would go a long way here.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

Right, perhaps I'll try to build ontop of this prototype a little more and see if I can do more with the game idea. I had some ideas on how to make the game a bit harder and more interesting.

Thanks for trying it out!
Two small hints:

1: You could try do a series of much much much more basic levels
2: make property-swapping make sense (It seems that you can only swap adjacent buildings: do you need that restriction?)
3: building comprehension - it might be the background, or the overlaid money/happiness/whathaveyousymbols but...yeah, in spite of my familiarity with buildings, I couldn't easy ascertain anything.  Maybe a civ-style 'influence' view, where if you click on a city it'd show the modifiers that affect it over the properties that cause those things (so if you click on a house, and it's next to a school, you would see ... i dunno; a happy face or something over the school because schools make people happy)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:50:33 AM »

A good start.

I do get a sense of trial and error at first, and then once i figure out the system I can work with it pretty easy.

Maybe the next step should be trying to implement some basic scenarios and see if the gameplay you are looking for emerges.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic