Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:21:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOwlboy is out!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy is out!  (Read 2379 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »

I thought the opening bits were a bit rough and made the game look like it'd be Super Generic Metroidvania but I played further and I'm enjoying the hell out of it now.

to be honest, that's why i've been reluctant about the game. i'm burned out on the metroidvania formula and while the visuals are amazing, gameplay looks a little bland from the videos i've seen.

what makes it different from generic metroidvanias?

The thing separating it from other Metroidvanias is that it's not a Metroidvania at all.

The first area's sort of misleading in that it makes it look like the gameplay is based around getting different weapons to clear binary locks a la most Metroidvanias. Except the weapon collection angle's basically limited to the first area. You get a dash ability shortly thereafter, and later on you get a grappling hook kind of things, but that's the extent of the upgrade cycle (well, you get like, more powerful attacks eventually but they don't do anything besides being better at attacking). And the grappling hook thing is more... used for unique stage gimmicks and less "Oh hey now I can go open like 30 doors I saw hours ago."

It's sort of closer to Cave Story in that it's a more normal linear, story-driven sidescroller without clear level breaks? Although it feels more like... I don't know, Kid Icarus + Rocket Knight + flying + something that Treasure would've made (only easier).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »

thanks. i will wishlist this cave story ripoff and buy it eventually when i have time to play it.
PirateFish
Level 0

:(){ :|: & };:

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

Superbunny Hop did a great review on it yesterday.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »

thanks. i will wishlist this cave story ripoff and buy it eventually when i have time to play it.

It's not a cave story ripoff though.

for instance sprites use more than like three colors

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »

It had me at "Fully-funded Japanese perfectionism."
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

Wow, I remember this game from eons ago. Glad it made it out, will pick it up.

Down here, it's our time.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic