Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:22:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRex Obscura - i need people for feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rex Obscura - i need people for feedback  (Read 1116 times)
indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »

I have recently totally redesigned my previous game, Its called Rex Obscura, its a top down rts with mana and card game mechanics. I need people now to test the battle system if its working and if its fun. Imma try and make the game better. from feedback to art.

download the game here , its free

there are lots of things i accidentally overlook, so please feel free to point out any bugs or anything that looks weird.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:04:09 PM by indominator » Logged

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »

i have remade the game, please play it and see if its fun, if not, please tell me. Also please comment any bugs, what i want to test is the combat. imma also try adding more units, fixing how you get new cards for the hand, and also how the UI looks(its hideous like everything i make, but whatever i gotta tr and fix it.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:25:41 AM by indominator » Logged

NealWh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »

I tried the game for a maybe 5 minutes or so.  Summoned a few units and looked around the map a bit but nothing attacked me or seemed to happen? 

There wasn't any tutorial or key info so wasn't really sure what I was doing, but here's a few thoughts:
- I liked the viewing camera angle and the units showing facing angles (been a while since I've played an RTS in this style, think maybe the last one was ground control?).  I'd possibly suggest adjusting the color of the facing angle when in range of enemies or in different states, to make it a bit more dynamic and give more feedback to the player of their actions.
- The unit SFX was way too loud for me on default settings, had to turn down to about 30% volume to be at a more reasonable level.  It was also a bit too repetitive in saying the same things which seemed quite long (a lot of RTS go for short snappy dialogue cos it doesn't wear the player's ear as much when heard often)
- The camera seemed to be locked relative to the main unit?  I guess that's intentional but it does limit what you can do with other units or how combat would work (would be difficult to flank or have multiple fights going on at once)
- I tried summoning units but it seemed to only work in a limited range of the start.  Couldn't work out if the UI was telling me this or not, or the reason.
- The units seemed to deselect easily (on any left click even when dragging out a card?) which didn't seem necessary but perhaps cos of that being the drag select makes it happen?
- Would be potentially nice to be able to just select a single unit by left clicking on it rather than drag select.  Along with that it'd be nice to have the mouse cursor change based on what action it will perform for left click and right click.  This would help the player understand what their action will be a bit easier.
- With the UI it definitely isn't the prettiest I'm sorry to say Smiley I'm not an artist either tho so whatever works really (and imo, definitely best to concentrate on gameplay and usability first over prettiness)!  My suggestions there would be having the text of the card be a tooltip for when the mouse is over a particular card and otherwise just have the card showing on its own and have perhaps a symbol showing of its type so players can quickly see what ones they might be interested in.  Moving the title text in slightly might look a bit neater and capitalising the first letter.  For your dev vids I'd suggest hiding the development console.  Probably the biggest thing UI wise is to have a better understanding of what is going on, like say what your unit is doing (maybe having a symbol showing they are moving/attacking or having their current destination displayed or having a progress bar for an action).

I hope that feedback is helpful and am interested to see your game progress further.

Currently working on Kynseed | Playtesting
indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:14:17 AM »

(...)

- The unit SFX was way too loud for me on default settings, had to turn down to about 30% volume to be at a more reasonable level.  It was also a bit too repetitive in saying the same things which seemed quite long (a lot of RTS go for short snappy dialogue cos it doesn't wear the player's ear as much when heard often)

(...)

- With the UI it definitely isn't the prettiest I'm sorry to say Smiley I'm not an artist either tho so whatever works really (and imo, definitely best to concentrate on gameplay and usability first over prettiness)!  My suggestions there would be having the text of the card be a tooltip for when the mouse is over a particular card and otherwise just have the card showing on its own and have perhaps a symbol showing of its type so players can quickly see what ones they might be interested in.  Moving the title text in slightly might look a bit neater and capitalising the first letter.  For your dev vids I'd suggest hiding the development console.  Probably the biggest thing UI wise is to have a better understanding of what is going on, like say what your unit is doing (maybe having a symbol showing they are moving/attacking or having their current destination displayed or having a progress bar for an action).

THanks for the feed back ;p, i am working on the UI you mentioned and i will lower the audio for the sfx, imma try and think on how to solve it, i was trying to feedback to the player what was happening in the world, but i guess my audio works best for when selecting characters, imma try some solutions and then reupload the game.

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

Just uploaded a new version, please try it people XD

fixed some problems that have been pointed out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic