Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:24:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsModlands - now in Early Access on itch.io!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Modlands - now in Early Access on itch.io!  (Read 9198 times)
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

Resource collection and new Twitch commands in the latest build of MODLANDS!

Visit the website at www.modlands.com and sign up for the newsletter to get new updates every week on Modlands development!!!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:43:10 PM by triplejump » Logged
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »

This week's Modlands devlog is up! Mostly bugfixes and performance improvements this week!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

This week's new build of Modlands has big updates to Creative Mode!

Visit the website at www.modlands.com and sign up for the newsletter to get new updates every week on Modlands development!!!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »

This week in Modlands development: first pass of Achievements! And tile painting in the Creative Mode!

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »

Played a tiny bit, here's some feedback.

I'm left handed so using WSAD to scroll is a bit difficult. I'd prefer scrolling with the right-mouse button or an option to configure keys.

The game takes quite some time to init while only showing a white or black screen. I almost force killed it before it came up Smiley

Is it possible to stack blocks to e.g. build a house? I could not get it to work.

I will play a bit more later on.

Gentleman

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »

Hmm, would the arrow keys for scrolling be good for you?

Right-mouse button was actually the main camera scrolling control for several months! Maybe I'll bring it back, since I'm doing a big control iteration now. Smiley

Blocks don't stack on top of each other - you just build a rectangle with a doorway and a bed inside to create a house (a jingle and effect will play when the game recognizes it as a valid home).

The initial loading time is on my list of things to address in the near future - I want to spread that out a bit more, and show an immediate startup screen.

Thanks for the feedback!  Toast Right
nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »

Ok, thanks for the info. RMB scrolling would be my preference.
Too bad about the stacking. Stacking would allow for a lot more creative freedom.

Did another run: do you mind me posting feedback in public? I can privately msg you if that's more convenient.

• Why do I have to run explicitly as an admin? Although running as admin is easily done, I keep forgetting to do it, which means I have to stop the game (force kill) and restart. This is a bit annoying.
  • The music is quite loud by default. The sfx are nice!
  • Unchecked checkboxes appear disabled when they actually aren't.
  • Save slots would be handy. This way I can make snapshots of creations and e.g. fork a world.
  • I'm missing some tooltips in the left and bottom part of the character info panel. Maybe you should tooltip everything.
  • The game's colors are highly saturated. This hurts my eyes a bit Smiley I know it is a matter of taste...
  • The tutorial guy shows up in a normal world where there is no S in MODLANDS.
  • An overview of all the controls would be handy. For instance, is there a way to open a map or something?
  • What does the number in the top mean?
  • The hapiness is 65%. If I hover over it I would expect to see a breakdown of the number (like in Civilization or Stellaris)
  • The tutorial seems a bit short. I still do not understand how to get money faster.
  • Sometimes the pace is really low. Are you planning to add a game speed setting?

Ok, time to go to bed  Smiley

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:10:09 PM by nkm » Logged

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »

That's great! Thanks for all the feedback! A lot of these are things that I'm actively working on right now - like the tooltip stuff, that's getting a lot more detailed.

In the experimental build now, I'm working on some adjustments to how saves are handled, so a save is no longer tied to a mode - you can build a world in the Editor, and then play it in the normal way. You can also open any world file in the Editor, make changes, and save it under a different name - this will disable Achievements in that world, but it allows you to fork them and try different approaches.

The big thing I'm working on in the background of the weekly updates now is a change to the core game that will make the controls a combination of colony-sim and RTS. I'm also going to speed up the colonists' movement considerably, while making them take longer to do work on objects (so giving them better gear will be meaningful). I think this is going to make the gameplay a lot more easily readable and the colonists should feel more reactive.

Here's this week's video for the latest experimental branch updates!!!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 03:55:58 AM »

Another experimental build is up! This week, I've added custom biome settings!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »

I haven't looked too deep into your log but I'm interested to see how you approach ease-of-use and accessibility as core values for the project. So I'll see if I can check it out sometime!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »

I've started doing daily edited versions of the devstream for people to watch on Youtube! Here's today's - I added the Easter Bunny and got it spawning Easter Eggs, for the upcoming Springtime Update!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »

In today's devstream, I did a first pass on flower vases for the upcoming Springtime Update, and added cherry blossom grass!

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2018, 02:26:04 AM »

Today's stream was mostly a gameplay stream - started building a world called Easter Town with folks in the chat! This world has stuff in it that I'm working on for the upcoming Springtime Update!

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »

Hey man! This is an incredible project, I want to be your friend!!!!!!!!!

Is this possible?  Waaagh!

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »

Thanks! Sure! Smiley You should check out the Discord at discord.gg/modlands  Coffee
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »

Thanks! Sure! Smiley You should check out the Discord at discord.gg/modlands  Coffee

On my way, kind gentleman.

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:15 AM »

This week's video devlog is up! Mostly just working towards the Springtime Update build!  Smiley

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »

Check out the highlights of this stream, where I added jumping movement styles, and frogs! Smiley

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »

This week's new build is up! Check out the log here, and follow me on itch.io for weekly updates!  Smiley

https://triplejumpgames.itch.io/modlands/devlog/31355/0516a-experimental-build-3d-hairstyles

Big thing this week: 3D hairstyles! And they're moddable! :3

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »

A new Devlog Video is up!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic