Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:16:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNew Game announced from thatgamecompany
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Game announced from thatgamecompany  (Read 1676 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »

According to their first Facebook teaser, it's “a game about giving”

https://www.facebook.com/thatgamecompany/posts/10154114673131317:0

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:35:00 AM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm waiting

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »

I was just about to post this! Man I am so excited and I don't even know anything about the game. Guess that speaks to the caliber of games they've brought to the table all these years.

Writer and Composer for media. Check out my work!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:42:21 AM »

+1

I like the idea of emotions in games but its easy to get schmaltzy fast and I feel TGC crosses the line.

MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:47:39 AM »

I'm curious, what about TGC's other games seemed schmaltzy to you? I've found that people have that same sort of sentiment from other games/books/movies/etc.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »

Btw i wasnt trying to make a point by linking candle in the wind lol, just making a bad joke and responding to mks. i have no real opinion of the game
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:59:16 AM »

I'm curious, what about TGC's other games seemed schmaltzy to you? I've found that people have that same sort of sentiment from other games/books/movies/etc.

They are overly sentimental, nursing a flower back to health by being a gentle breeze... I'm not saying its a crime to like that its just schmaltzy.

Edit: just like candle in the wind is a good song its just a very very sentimental song and in a lot of situations its too much.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 07:22:03 AM »

flower is indeed a little cheesy, but that's ok. in the end games are still entertainment, they are allowed to be a bit corny. just like doom can be over the top grimdark, flower can evoke a bit of postcard atmosphere.  Panda
MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »

They are overly sentimental, nursing a flower back to health by being a gentle breeze... I'm not saying its a crime to like that its just schmaltzy.

Edit: just like candle in the wind is a good song its just a very very sentimental song and in a lot of situations its too much.

I can see that! For me, games like these take me to an almost meditative place in my mind where a little schmaltz is perfectly fine and welcome for cathartic reasons. But in the real world, sitting at my office desk thinking on the game, I can see your point.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »

I'm not a meditative guy so I'm probably not who they made flower for. Also they go on about how their games are "Art" just because they are emotional which is not really a good definition of art. It all just rubs me the wrong way but I suppose different strokes for different folks.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »

According to their first Facebook teaser, it's “a game about giving”

https://www.facebook.com/thatgamecompany/posts/10154114673131317:0

it's lit fam

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 05:56:55 AM »

TGC games are definitely art. It's not just that. They showed a lot of developers that we can make games that don't need to be overly competitive or shooting stuff in the face everytime. We can make different games with different mechanics and there's a market for that. Matt Nava just launched Abzû on his new studio and it's amazing how beautiful it is and it's all about exploring and observing that wonderful world. I sincerly hope there's more studios making games like that.

On the same topic, this is very inspiring:

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »

Why "a game about giving" and doing the teaser now?...

Oh right. Christmas is coming.

What a good person I am.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 03:51:29 AM »

@juliano TGCs games are art but so is doom, so is spelunkey, why does TGC get to be the Art Police and say their games are art just because EMOTIONS?

@Shackhal their last game was set in a desert and involved characters that were basically in burkas so I guess they decided this one would christian as a change of pace.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:57:08 AM by msilver » Logged

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »

tgc is more contemporary. they seek more towards the fundamentals of what message can a mechanic convey. journey did this most beautifully with the call empowering other players' jumps. of course it also makes itself more artsy by putting the obvious focus on aesthetic and emotion with symbolism. taking things away and giving you freedom, having an arch. something like Doom is more focused on making and combining the parts to create something that feels good and empowering. Doom doesn't have a hospital section like Hotline Miami.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic