Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:00:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGOGNIO DUNGEON: NEW HORIZONS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: GOGNIO DUNGEON: NEW HORIZONS  (Read 23578 times)
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »

programmer and I have been asking eachother a question repeated basically infinitely the last few days?
it sort of goes like this

me: hey, what if there was a random dungeon game?
u: yeah like a dungeon but random?
me: yeah like some sort of...random dungeon
u: yeah. like a dungeon that's randomly made.

we decided to bring to you the fruits of our Labor (coming soon)

what if you were this man:

and before you was a dungeon. not just any dungeon: a random dungeon. A dungeon holding the Gognio

VirtualClint and I want to bring you that sort of dungeon, a dungeon that could be played on a PC. pack up your table-tops, and put it right in your computer system.

here is where we will talk about development:

true random dungeon generation:

completely impassable

enemies that can be killed by the player. skeletons!

excited? what if we told you this game had a system that @we and I are calling
"Persistent Living Syndrome"

just like real life, any decision you make lasts *forever* and cannot be changed.
did you press "q" to 'q'uaff a potion you 'h'eld from your 'i'nventory? it's gone but only forever.

## WARNING: DYING IS ALSO A DECISION ##

now finally I know what you're thinking
so here is a glimpse of a possible future:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:59:20 PM by The Armorman » Logged

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »

Yessssss

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »

what is this game you might be asking
well
i will explain it 2 u
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:11:31 PM by The Armorman » Logged

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

ooooogh sometimes when i wake up my body hurts

GOGNIO DUNGEON is a turn based maze-dungeon where your decisions LAST FOREVER because you are trapped in a dungeon from which there is no escape

you are THE FIRST ARMORMAN: a man who figured out that if they put metal on their body it is HARDER TO DIE

you will press b to 'b'rave the dungeon that you 'e'ntered. thats not a joke: you use the KEYBOARD to issue and give commands to the armorman.  there is a HOST OF WEAPONS at your disposal to brave all

FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS  FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS FIFTY DELICIOUS FLOORS on your quest to receive the GOGNIO. there will be many mechanics, and the game itself might not even be able to be trusted. players can interact with monsters in very unique ways, like: kill them.

arcane puzzles will await you and bizarre traps and monsters that come STRAIGHT FROM MY HEAD. we are not fantasy friends! I do not understand this "dungeons and dragons" you talk about, or this "Rogue" because it is 1981 and i would never play a game called ROGUE.

Please I just want to be finished so I can stop waking up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, bizarre glyphs etched into my computer screen and unspeakable horrors rendered lovingly in 2D pixelart inspired by the latest in ZX spectrum hardware

https://clyp.it/lufzwnwm

Hand Fork Left here is a song we have made, for our videogame GOGNIO DUNGEON  Hand Knife Right
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:05:50 PM by The Armorman » Logged

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

ok ok
i like it!!!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »

we got stairs and dungeon generation workin' today. that means u can move between floors! holy shit. i spotted a ghost inside the game, and for now, we will call her the yuki-onna

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 01:31:52 AM »

our attitude of dungeon generation is: don't!

but more on that

we have decided that a REAL DUNGEON like the one this is based on (the fabled tower of gehemnis, sunk deep underground beneath a W.H.A.M.E.S.C.O. ring) would have more randomized floors than just simple dungeon rooms, so we are hard at work creating dungeons that are generated off of multiple logic seeds at once.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 01:48:30 AM »

May I ask how do you generate them dungeons? Do you use any library, or have you rolled your own solution?

Yeah.
Ian_A
Level 2

Indie Artist & Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:44 AM »

This is far too risky, what if it doesn't catch on?

You're blowing my mind with this... "Random Dungeon"

CRIMSON KEEP - First Person Action Roguelite
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »

May I ask how do you generate them dungeons? Do you use any library, or have you rolled your own solution?

We are rolling our own solution, down the hill, into a deep dark pit and then setting it on fire. The short version of this story means: My Programmer (we will call him Mr. VC) and I, The Armorman, a man who is Armored, were wondering exactly what it was we missed about the top-table fancies of our youth

that, we discovered, was crayon drawings. Yes that's right: our array for generating dungeon maps is that randomly, in the game, you will stumble upon a floor based on one of the many archival Armorman crayon dungeons from when I was a Boy. These maps contain extra secrets and COLORED dungeon tiles.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »

That post might be a lie: This post is REAL

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »

What kind of Items do you remember your dungeons having when you played with friends, like in the docudrama

THE STRANGERS
---------------------
THINGS

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Wingz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »

What kind of Items do you rem

turtles
pengus and frogs too
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 09:44:31 PM »

I have never watched television in my life, but I will make sure ALL OF THESE and MORE are in this videogame.

We are working on items and effects:

Currently the player can have theoretically infinite numbers of items in their inventory, and each one can have a multitude of effects. From opening portals to previously-visited floors from alternate dimensions to summoning daemons. Sometimes, a monster might drop some of its BLOOD and ingesting this BLOOD can bestow a powerful effect on me (you, the player)

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 02:53:10 AM »

sounds nice!

AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 05:08:43 AM »

I WANT TO BE ARMORMAN. I WANT THE GOGNIO.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »

Do you remember Kenji Eno's D? Do you remember Kenji Eno's D2?

Lately, we've been discussing GAME MECHANICS and we've decided that the player can spend unused experience accumulated at the end of every level to purchase things from shops to give them an edge, one floor at a time. We call this game mechanic EDGING do not do a google search of our game mechanics with the safe search off.

We want to style the shop between levels after this sort of thing:

However. We have tried every gosh darned thing! None of these ladies wanna work for us. I tried. I begged. I bought flowers.
I even asked D E L A from Brandish II: The Planet buster!

Do you remember Dela? well she's hella out of work! She turned me down, man.

I may have an actress in mind but we will talk about that later.

The game flow of this game is something like this

>Choose your ARMORMAN
>Enter the DUNGEON

You do dungeon stuff in this phase. Explore. Kill. There are MECHANICS! We made some. It's true.

We wanted to have different mechanics for leveling up. Maybe some players can't handle the kill-monster die-by-monster life. Maybe some players are nervous and flighty. We want to punish those players, but reward them too. This is why you can exchange CURRENCIES at the shop for levels and skills.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

The white on black is a bit much for my eyes, but I like the mechanic of using keyboard keys to navigate and execute decisions

Artwork is cool other than the mentioned strain on the eyes, a beige/gray for the walls and a dark brown for the ground would be what made me pick this up and play

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »

what about the strain on your SOUL

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »

what about the strain on your SOUL