Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:53:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Ideas for perspective problem [IMAGE HEAVY]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ideas for perspective problem [IMAGE HEAVY]  (Read 1625 times)
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »

This post is super image heavy. Click images to see full size.

So I am currently working on a puzzle game called Sudokil involving controlling robots with a unix terminal. It is tile based, and in an orthogonal 3/4 camera perspective. I've recently ran into an issue with the perspective that is really halting developing the art further, and was wondering if people have solved this problem themselves or may have ideas on what to do. Trying to figure out a perspective that both looks good and is as functional as possible is hard. My art requirements are that it should look good, and CLEARLY show ALL entities and objects on map in order not to obstruct puzzle solving. Here is a screenshot of the game:

We've gone for the perspective where the upper wall just takes up 1 tile, while the lower wall starts a bit higher and overlaps the lower floor a little bit. The art works quite well in the case of having a square room. However an issue arises when trying to design some rooms with one thick walls, and having overlapping walls. This is my attempt at it.

While it looks alright, there are definitely some issues with the 1 thick walls because they don't look like they are indeed 1 thick. Also, once we start putting walls into the actual level area as opposed to the outside, we place them slightly differently as to not obstruct entity movement and such, but this creates inconsistencies. Another issue is that we are trying to make doors that span over multiple tiles and having a lot of trouble with the current perspective. I've looked to some other games for solutions and found a few.

Halfway. Here the one thick pillars take up physical space in the tile above them.

Pros:
  • Nothing blocked/obstructed
  • Looks like it is in perspective
  • Looks good in general
Cons:
  • The minimum height for a wall/pillar is 2 tall instead of 1 (restricts level design)
  • When being physically obstructed by the upper half of the pillar, perspective looks off
  • Lack of any overlap does not help perspective when above wall

Steam Marines. Here, all walls stick to their own tile.

Pros:
  • Nothing blocked/obstructed
  • Very clear which tile entities and walls are in
  • Level creation will be much less labour intensive
Cons:
  • Tiles look strange in some places (such as vertical doors)
  • Height of walls might not match entities
  • Perspective less realistic

Nuclear Throne. Here all the wall tiles overlap the tile above them slightly.

Pros:
  • Perspective works
  • Kind of what we are currently doing, but our walls are a different height
Cons:
  • Entities sometimes obstructed and less clear
  • Obstruction may limit level design for objects that might be covered
  • Height of walls might not match entities

This is our previous placeholder art. It uses a more true top down perspective.

Pros:
  • Nothing obstructed
  • Entity position very clear
  • Cheap art
Cons:
  • Looks kinda shit

And finally here are some images of playing around with perspectives

While that middle island wall pillar thing looks great in terms of the perspective (where the perspective overlaps half the tile above it), it does present the problem of blocking entities. The robot works fine because it is tall, but once you start using small objects such as crates, it is hidden behind the wall.

Just some playing around with cheap and dirty "3d models" I made out of paper. Helped a little bit when trying to go for realism, but does not help much in the gameplay practicality as it isn't always tied to realism.

If anybody has anything at all to contribute, feel free to share! Should I stick to the current style or try for another? Would love to hear ideas on the current options, proposing new options, or any games with perspectives that might be interesting to look at and consider. Thanks!

locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

I've been thinking about it more here and there, and the 3d model I made actually made me come to realise I've kind of been focusing on fixing the wrong problems. In the end breaking it down to the rule that walls must not be constructed on tiles that the player can move on to. This kind of made me realise that I should break it down to where the base of the walls are actually constructed. From there, I can try to imagine what an actual wall would look like when viewed from the 3/4 perspective. I've broken down building walls into the following steps.

Step 1) Place desired level traversable floor

Step 2) Plan wall bases all along the outside of the traversable floor

Step 3) Raise walls from the bases based on perspective and polish

If we want to continue with this perspective and not break the realism of the overlapping walls, we will have to accept that certain tiles that have more than 3/4 of their view obstructed. For some objects, this is not acceptable because it would hide vital information from the player. In order to fix this, we will have to come up with a way to present the information behind the walls. Some possibilities are transparency or outlining. One option I would like to explore further is similar to how they hide walls in games like The Sims. In there you only see the base of the walls. I don't think it would look good to simply lower all walls like that, but if we can come up with a way to lower only the walls that are hiding objects in an aesthetically pleasing way, this issue will be solved. Working on this over the next few days.

Image source

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

Imho, you already solved your problems with this:

If even that little edge is overlapping important stuff, then you can tackle this issue from the perspective of the objects and not the walls. Like placing the object not exactly at the center of the tile, but a little to the top of it. In the end i really see no problem with the first image.

I find it completely unnecessary to have walls covering 3/4 of the other tiles, specially since it's such an issue.

And also there's the "Zelda Perspective", which fucks up any conceived perspective rules you're struggling with, and still pulls it off. Which means that you don't have to be so adamant about maintaining proper perspective. You just have to be consistent with the decisions that you make.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:14:17 PM by TitoOliveira » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic