Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:53:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Anyone care to share their experience porting game from Android to iOS?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone care to share their experience porting game from Android to iOS?  (Read 602 times)
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »

Today I worked on getting my java code to work on the PC since I made the bulk of the game to run on Android. I'm just wondering if anyone has ported their game to iOS and how they went about doing that. I know that many game engines will do this but I wrote my own little library.
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:02:40 AM »

So, when you say PC, you mean Mac? I tend to read it as Windows.
Anyway, if you are on android you are not using directX, and that's a good start, because that is usually the hardest part of a conversion.
If you are doing anything on Mac, you need to learn Objective C, no way around it really, unless you are using an engine that does the conversion for you.

If you think Unity is a bit heavy-weight, there are others you can look into too, if that's an option. Like Defold.

Columbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »

I think most people who are using their own libraries/engine and want multiplatform support tend to use c++ or c for the vast majority of their code, and use only an absolute minimum of Objective-C/Java/Whatever else necessary.

If you have a java codebase and you want it to work on iOS, then you might need to look for fairly niche solutions. There's a few suggestions here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1193524/can-we-run-java-applictions-on-iphone

JohnsyJohnsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:23:10 AM »

Yeah, useless info for your current question (Java -> IOS), but I tend to just use C and SDL2 and OpenGL(es)  it works great for multiplatform stuff, ios, android, windows, mac, linux. I only have as little as possible objC code.

so yes what Columbo said.
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »

Thanks for the tip Columbo, does make more sense to use c++ for multi platform support.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic