Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:03:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)2D Sun/Moon visual effects
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Sun/Moon visual effects  (Read 817 times)
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2016, 10:11:17 AM »

Hello all, I've got a game in the works where (depending on the room) the moon/sun slowly moves across the sky.

My ultimate goal is to have some sort of glow or bloom effect - or something else potentially, depending on what winds up looking good. Maybe just a background that changes color as the moon/sun moves along it....

I'm just beginning to look into what ways there might be to do this and I was hoping to get some opinions/resources to start digging into.

I'll definitely be giving shaders a deeper look, but beyond that I'm wondering if anyone might be able to suggest something clever to start messing with in GameMaker or something to read so I can get headed in the right direction.

Here's a gif of what a room looks like now.

Love to hear ideas or to just be pointed in a good direction
JohnsyJohnsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »

I'd google image search for : 'day night cycle gif'
PirateFish
Level 0

:(){ :|: & };:

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »

What JohnsyJohnsy said. But having light illuminate the dark at night also helps with selling night time.
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:22:57 AM »

I think this video will be useful for what I'm trying to achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwc0UZgDiGg

I'm writing this out for my own sake, as well as for anyone that might stumble upon this in the future...

I'm going to cover my room with a dark, semi-transparent rectangle.  This will make everything behind it - objects, sprites, backgrounds - darker.

Then I will create a new sprite that will follow the same path as my sun/moon object. It will simply be a circular gradient with no color, just transparency. This will draw on the same surface as my dark rectangle and will therefore cut through the dark rectangle and display the normal objects, sprites, and backgrounds as they are without the tinting.

Not totally sure this will work as I picture it, but I think it's a step in the right direction.  Perhaps this mixed with a gradual change in background color will result in a good look. 

In the video, if you skip to the end and look at the guy's torches, this is the type of effect I am interested in.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic