Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:32:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVR MECH COMBAT GAME CALLED IRON REBELLION
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: VR MECH COMBAT GAME CALLED IRON REBELLION  (Read 11005 times)
spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »

So this is it! our first post for a game called IRON RAIN!
Our goal is to make the most visceral VR mech experience ever made. We are very interested in the communities voice and input throughout development so please feel free to ask questions and comment as you wish.

First sketches of our Alpha build mech

I have made Tilt Brush a solid part of our pipeline as it helps convey space instantly when concepting in d3

Paint over of one of the tilt brush models.

This last images was hitting really close to what I wanted for the first build.

More to come!

Until then mech pilots Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:06:05 PM by spicejustin » Logged
Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:20:07 AM »

Wow!

This paint/drawing arstyle is really cool.
Can't wait to see this in motion Smiley

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »

Hahah, I'm digging your enthusiasm, and the style is sweet indeed! I esp. like the two top right concept thumbnails. Numbers 4/5 look good too, more standard but anything that makes me think of BattleTech Raptors are good in my book. Any mech games/stories in particular you're taking inspiration from?

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »

?Kinda writing my own as we go along! domination over our solar system is the loose Idea, humans have just begun to really explore all of our planets and moons and it has created some major conflict between people of opposing interest, but still doing a lot of fishing Smiley
spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »

a wee bit more exploration before I took the 3D plunge!!! felt really cool painting over the tilt brush work.

built the legs and head separately haha looks a little goofy just floating on top.
But overall this is the boy you guys will be fighting in! Smiley

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »

I smell war in the air...

Mech pilots I would like to introduce to you, Pucnuf An alpha class mech, design to help test a new wave of war machines. it's the first bipedal robotics system to ever meet the battlefield, This new system can take on any terrain thrown at it. Equipped with the latest armor and weapons this mean machine will command the battlefield with ease.

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:26 PM »

I have a feeling this will turn into something epic. keep up the great work!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 12:02:13 AM »

We will do our damndest!
spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

Had a blast in portland! now back to the grind, interface time!
brando is killing it, all his work other than the assets handed to him.

the basic concept

him making it work!

a peak around the concept

after getting this thing in it's really starting to feel alive! can wait to have people try this! who's got a vive?! we will need testers soon Smiley
spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »

Blocking in the new map interface and control panel! :D

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

Thank you brando for all the good laughs sir! haha,  Toast Right Toast Left Durr...? Corny Laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyJjycjr9I&feature=youtu.be&t=91

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »

Got Her up and walking! now for the rest of the animations.

Then its onto level creation!

Gonna need some testers soon so if you have a vive. let me know. Smiley

and a new interface

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:02 PM »

some screenshots of the particles I built

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:32 AM »

Wow this looks really ambitious but is coming along! I like the interface being attached to the mech's front panel. Hearing that tilt brush is a part of your pipeline is extremely interesting! Have you looked into oculus quill? it has more volumetric brushes and looks brilliant too. Could you give us an overview of the control mechanisms in the game? I have heard that rigs (the most similar title I can think of) is quite nauseating. I would be very interested in play testing although do not own a Vive I have access to a couple.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »

Oh man. I absolutely love Phantom Crash and this kinda reminds me of it, it's looking awesome.

Also, I have a Vive, will playtest/give feedback whenever needed.

spicejustin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »

yeah let me see if I can get you guys some builds once we hit that point! getting close now!

it will be a very small party at first till we can get some major things fixed. and then we will expand fast.

And yes making people sick is the last thing we want to do! but this will be a game that needs somewhat solid "VR legs" im assuming, its a hard balance between free fun movement and also not making people vom haha.

should have some test videos up here in the next few weeks! stay tuned Smiley 
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »

look forward to it!

brando
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

Wow this looks really ambitious but is coming along! I like the interface being attached to the mech's front panel.

Coder here, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately after getting the HUD reticle to perfectly line up with the weapons, I realized that "voluntary diplopia" is a thing, and the reticle has to be projected out into space to stop your eyes from crossing Sad. Unity covered it in detail here https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality/interaction-vr#reticle but I guess I just had to see it for myself.

I have heard that rigs (the most similar title I can think of) is quite nauseating.

I bought my Vive to make this game so I'm still getting my VR legs, but I think the reason it's nauseating is because you can see too much of the world primarily when rotating. Google Earth and Trickster both allow movement where it hides most of the world to stop the nausea, we're banking on the fact that you are limited in your vision due to the cockpit.

In other first-person games you can rotate by turning your head which helps, but we don't have that luxury here, as hilarious as that would be Smiley
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 02:47:42 AM »

Had a blast in portland! now back to the grind, interface time!
brando is killing it, all his work other than the assets handed to him.

the basic concept

him making it work!

a peak around the concept

after getting this thing in it's really starting to feel alive! can wait to have people try this! who's got a vive?! we will need testers soon Smiley

Super super awesome, wish i had a vive Sad, or a pc that could run it Tongue.
Is that screen shake in the vr cockpit on purpose? I really like it, it makes it feel like a machine, like your in this heavy walking tractor. Can imagine like a peripheral shaking seat.

brando
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »

Is that screen shake in the vr cockpit on purpose? I really like it, it makes it feel like a machine, like your in this heavy walking tractor. Can imagine like a peripheral shaking seat.

Haha that's the artist's shaking hands as he panned the headset around the cockpit Smiley Having this kind of movement forced upon the headset would make one sick pretty fast, but a rumble seat would be amazing!

I made the joysticks shake when you move though and it was intense, though it drains the battery way too fast. Maybe just when the engine starts up or on footsteps? The audio goes a long way to selling it but we want the user to "feel" it when it moves around or gets shot or explodes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic