Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:10:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCommander Invader
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Commander Invader  (Read 588 times)
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »

This is Commander Invader. I made it for the GMC jam#2, october 2016. The theme was: You are not the hero. I had an instant inspiration for a clone of Space Invaders but playing from the invaders side. This is the 'upgraded' version of the entry. I won't add more features. (After all, Space Invaders was very, very simple.) Now stop reading and invade right here: http://www.naztail.com/games/commander_invader/Commander_Invader.zip

The game's page: http://www.naztail.com/games/commander_invader/game_commander_invader.html

Screenshots:

NeithR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »

Good job, Game Developer! The players will be pleased! Smiley

Great strategy game. Managed to invade the normal and the wrecked mode.
To me, the most important unit to break the barrier was the 3rd unit to keep shooting the barrier without need to spot the "hero" and also fast to re-deployed.
Love of how you splitted the text for alien and "hero" side by flipping the text for "hero" size.
Btw, how to take over my higher's position? He/she was quite a noisy one ;p.

Btw, when first time playing this game, I was quite confused how to play especially the control. Maybe in the title screen, player needs to click to proceed instead of using Enter key to confirm the action controller of the game.

Also, after completed the wrecked mode, looking at the "higher"'s comments, seems the highscore is not splitted between normal and wrecked mode. Consider splitting them since both have different difficulty.

Also, some little glitch. Holding Q and Alt didn't quit the game as written in the gameplay screen.

Currently doing Kelin Kelilin game project.
Pixel and Voxel Art Game Assets
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:04 AM »

Hi. Thx for playing and for the comments. In fact, you pressing ALT then Q quits the game. Will fix this asap.
Will change the intro too. (Like add a press enter or something like this.)
NeithR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »

Hi. Thx for playing and for the comments. In fact, you pressing ALT then Q quits the game. Will fix this asap.
Will change the intro too. (Like add a press enter or something like this.)
You're welcome Smiley.
Oh, I see. It was different button sequence.
About the intro, "click" is better than "press enter" since click is the main action button in the gameplay especially to place the aliens.

QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »

Cool idea Smiley

I have to admit I was a little confused playing it. Wasn't sure how to get past the title screen at first, eventually spammed keys and found Enter. Also switching dudes with the mouse wheel was a bit cumbersome, but number keys worked better. My strategy was just to spam guys onto the screen as fast as possible, there was too much going on to really pay attention to strategy. Maybe it's an eye-tracking thing? I had to constantly look between my "inventory" of units to see what's reloaded, to the top of the screen to find somewhere to place guys, to the "player" area below to try to keep track of what's happening. Maybe having the units list / recharge state float around with the mouse cursor or something to allow you to keep eye focus in one place would help.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »

Took a while for me to figure out that I had to click up top in order to spawn the enemy guys. I think some sort of tutorial is in order to show how to play this game. I didn't really have much strategy either kinda just spammed the numbers and mouse clicks to get guys on the screen.
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »

Commander Invader don't needs a lot of strategy. It's a fast and short game. Spamming aliens in the sky as fast as you can is the key! A couple strategy that I think can work:
Drop a Commando between 2 others aliens to rapidly destroy bunkers. (between 2 sergeants or 2 troopers)
Drop kamikake to the far right or far left, where the player spawn after dying.
Drop a Sniper with 3 trooper above him. To assure a rapid kill.
Drop a Psionic as soon as it's available.

I added mouse wheel for debug and decided to leave it there. Pressing 1-6 is waaaay faster!

And for the enter key... I won't change that. I believe it's an obvious key to press when playing a game.

Again, thx for your comments guys. I appreciated it. Wink
NeithR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »

And for the enter key... I won't change that. I believe it's an obvious key to press when playing a game.

Again, thx for your comments guys. I appreciated it. Wink

Why not both?

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »

Give us the any key!  Hand Any Key
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic