Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:11:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPokemon Sun and Moon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pokemon Sun and Moon  (Read 1669 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »

Topics for discussion:
-Do you think the Pokemon formula will last another 20 years?
-What's your opinion on Pokemon from a game design perspective?
-If you stopped/started playing Pokemon, why?
-What do you you think about the new Pokemon designs?
-What are you excited about or dislike in Pokemon Sun or Moon?
-Which starter and version did you choose? 
etc.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »

I like naming pokemon and I'm waiting for when the ingame graphics look like the gameboy covers

I like that sometimes they just give up with the designs and say hey you know what, how about just a plain toucan, they're funky looking enough already

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »

pokemon was a big part of my childhood. i loved it at the time because it was one of the few notable gameboy games, along with zelda, that wasn't some shitty licensed platformer. i also got swept up in the hype around it, watched the anime, played the trading card game, had a few plushies etc.

i got bored after gold/silver. i tried pokemon black once but put it down quickly when i realized it was basically the exact same game i got bored of 10 years ago (at the time). imo the series desperately needs a reboot.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »

i bought moon today. i'm very happy with it.

i don't think the "formula" needs to be changed. just like i don't want the flavor of my favorite pop to change. there's something very comforting about the stability of the series.

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »

People don't go to pokemon looking for great game design, they go looking for comfort and nostalgia. Without a reboot, purchases of new entries will slooooooooooooowly fade as the key demographic ages, until the parent company says there's not enough money in it and stops releasing them.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »

i dont know why people think pokemon is exclusively played by 20-somthings that played the originals. did you know that sometimes children play pokemon games too?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 12:38:55 AM »

it's a fool proof way to bond with younger relatives

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 01:39:59 AM »

i dont know why people think pokemon is exclusively played by 20-somthings that played the originals. did you know that sometimes children play pokemon games too?

because most people on tig are 20something childless nerds hth

tho kids playing them is not really and argument against a reboot. kids would probably not care about the "classic" mechanics changing while nostalgic 20somethings would.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:53:15 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:11:58 AM »

Honestly, incorporating lots of AR elements would be neat as heck for a reboot. Pokemon Go, despite my initial misgivings, did a good job updating the late 90s pokemon experience (tho not the mechanics) for the social media and smartphone age.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 08:22:10 AM »

tho kids playing them is not really and argument against a reboot. kids would probably not care about the "classic" mechanics changing while nostalgic 20somethings would.

I think this is a good observation, but: it's a winning formula, and its very hard to put out a game as good as pokemon every year. So why wouldn't they just put out the same game for new younger players?

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »

it's a fool proof way to bond with younger relatives

pokemon is about bringing people together. by keeping it consistent people of all ages can talk about it and understand very easily minus maybe a few mechanical changes

im really liking the type diversity in the first island. doing a nuzlocke run would be really fun in this version.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »

I think this sums up my feelings on Pokemon quite nicely:

Though this game was fucking awesome:

(Basically Nobunaga's Ambition + Pokemon, somehow Pokemon fit tactical RPGs and war like a glove).

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 01:57:01 AM »

I've bought Pokemon Alpha Sapphire a year ago and it was basically my 1st Pokemon game. I respect the game and its fandom, but I've got bored quickly. Gameplay feels really slow and repetitive (though Pokemon fashion show was kinda fun), random encounters piss me off (just like in old Final Fantasy games) and battles... Feel boring...
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »

this game is a frickin delight. as someone who has generally been burnt out on pokemon since HG/SS, this is exactly what i needed to get excited about it again. x and y sucked ass, imo but this one is so cheery and fun and there's so many nice QOL improvements that should've been put in ages ago.

defrobo
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 09:26:07 PM »

I pretty much ignored Pokémon the first time round. I was much more interested in my dreamcast and couldn't be bothered to buy a gameboy. The anime was pretty funny though.

Anyway, after getting sucked into Pokémon Go I thought I'd try Sun (damn you Nintendo, I guess your cross promotional platform strategy is working). I've only had time for a couple of hours of play, and once you get around to actually hunting for monsters it's pretty fun, but damn is that first hour of onboarding game play mind numbingly slow. I get that they have to introduce all the mechanics to young kids as well, but sweet zombie Jesus does it take a long time to get to the good stuff!

Oh, and I chose the fire cat thing because the other two looked like wussies.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »

the popplio hate train keeps going strong. despise the scorners, i support popplio.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »

Two words: round child.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »

rowlet is the best starter in decades

_glitch
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Ranger for the NDS.
After I got my first smartphone, I downloaded ROMs to play with an emulator. The ROMs were Emerald and Soul Silver
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic