Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:58:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How to create a 2d character turning his head animation?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to create a 2d character turning his head animation?  (Read 1196 times)
thesti
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:57 AM »

Hi,
I'm learning to create a 2d character animation for games. I've seen some tutorial where we use skeletal animation to move images and create several frame to create an animation.

But, for an animation where the character will turn his head, I don't think I can use the same head image as the character turning his head.

What is usually done to create a character turning his head animation? Do we need to create multiple head images? With each image drawn from scratch?
_glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »

In 2D games animations are often created with spritesheets, where every state of the animation is included in one image. To answer your question: you should use such a spritesheet, not one character image with different heads, this maybe would look weird.

Edit: here is an example for such a spritesheet: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4f/39/cc/4f39cc0b4749aed4b66ae0fe46995d99.jpg
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:04:58 AM by _glitch » Logged
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

I think the best approach to a head turn animation is doing it frame by frame, meaning, drawing each individual frame. You have more control over the movement and the follow-through of the hair, for example.

Here's the spritesheet of a character I made turning her head:

Here's the animation:

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

Sloppy because I am pressed for time, but hopefully you get the idea:

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic