Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:21:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralA lost developer with 8 years of experience seeking advice on what to do next
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A lost developer with 8 years of experience seeking advice on what to do next  (Read 1172 times)
test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »

I've been making games for about 8 years now. I spare you the details but I've made games for PC, Android, AR, etc.

(It my probably seem promoting so I don't mention my games but if you are interested, let me know and I'll reply)

After failing to make a proper platformer with Flash, I've started to work on a local AAA-ish hack n' slash game in a young game dev company as programmer/technical artist/etc.

Feeling the urge to develop my games and get indie, I did quit and started making a platformer that we ended up selling to a flash game portal and the money was not astonishing but it seemed just ok for 9 months of very hard work. I've recently published it on Steam and it had very good feedback and some sales. Few people liked it (it has 103 reviews) but ~94% of them liked it and recommends it. (Some of them even ask for the sequel)

After the boom of F2P market, I told my team members that I want to make F2P and want to quit. The next 4 years were disastrous. But I've learned very valuable stuff about myself and the scene.

I'm 33, utterly broke, and honestly don't know what do with my life. I feel that I've lost a lot of opportunities and maybe that I haven't had my "moment" until now, it's getting very riskier to continue this path but something inside tells me to continue.

Making games is the only thing that I want to do and honestly I don't think I can be able to do anything else. I can't even work at a company anymore as a side job to make money. I seem to just be able to do what I like. I know it probably seems bad but that's the way I am. I pushed myself for last 8 months to clone a F2P game and each day was a constant battle to make myself to work on it to the point that I almost deleted the project.

I've been diagnosed with depression and failing in my career is making things just worse.

Currently I'm thinking of going back to my roots and make premium games, even though almost every article advises against it. Either for mobile or PC.

I'm changing my engine and going for something simpler so it may help me achieve failure faster.

So if you want to help you can do one or more of these:

A) Give advice on whatever you seem fit.

B) What kind of games do you think I should make?

Thanks.

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 03:25:59 AM »

Hey man,

I'll put my 5 cents here.
Assuming you're going solo and you're really serious about your gamedev path:

The most obvious advice would be "make the game that you want to play". Not that someone else would play but you. It would be easier to finish the project this way. Don't you have like secret stash of game ideas you made up since your childhood?

Since you're experienced already you realize that projects can take months and as you broke you need to think about your financial situation. There's a need to survive during production. Working on regular job and working on game would multiply production time few times higher. The best way to counter this is to gather as much money as possible via regular work and move to countries where ~200 USD considered to be average salary. This works of course if you're not living in such country atm. It's not exact plan or set of instructions but you get the idea.

You have to deal with depression as well. Can't advice here as it's totally different topic for discussion. Anyway... it's not helping and even worse - depression is quite a sabotage master. Most likely it will make you quit before things move somewhere. You can see it already doing its "job" in your post:

I'm changing my engine and going for something simpler so it may help me achieve failure faster.

With this mind set it's like trying to fire match by using wet matchbox. No fire for you, mister.

Keep in mind that this is your decision, you made it and you should materialize it. Failures-shmailures. You can do it if you really want. Lots of historical figures had numerous failures before they succeed. Right now, Lincoln and Edison comes into mind first.

Good luck!

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:22 PM »

Go work with Tonobu Itagaki.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:38 AM »

Find a steady job. Dev as a hobby.

Yeah.
thundercroak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

Maybe it will be better for you to take a one year break with yours indie projects?
Get a fulltime job, earn some moneys. It will help you to cope with your depression and it will solve money problems
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »

With this mind set it's like trying to fire match by using wet matchbox. No fire for you, mister.

I think he's talking about the "fail faster" paradigm of rapid prototyping, which is definitely a very good thing and could save him and many other people a lot of time and heartache.
Conker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »

Time to get a job and make your games on the side.

Tbh eventually one of your hobby projects might take off and fund you fully but until then, gotta work to eat
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

- Stop drinking all soda products.
- Take cold showers and exercise
- Do something cool and radical besides making games.
- Come home from said radical venture pumped and full of inspiration (hopefully without any warrants, injuries or new, powerful enemies)

-make games no one has ever played before without selling out to money or intellectual pretense.

Wash.Rinse.Repeat until you transform into a rock star... or a smelly man baby...same thing....probably.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »

- Stop drinking all soda products.

also stop eating microwave food if you can at all
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile