Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:37:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat are retweets of twitter bots actually worth?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What are retweets of twitter bots actually worth?  (Read 1573 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »

Most of devs here probably know that tweeting about your game with specific tags, such as #gamedev, #indiedev and so on will get you retweets from some twitter bots. But what are they actually worth in terms of getting actual biological people to look at your stuff?

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »

Most of devs here probably know that tweeting about your game with specific tags, such as #gamedev, #indiedev and so on will get you retweets from some twitter bots. But what are they actually worth in terms of getting actual biological people to look at your stuff?

they're just fuuuuucking annoying in my opinion.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »

Yeah, but do actual people follow them?  Do they have any useful purpose in getting more eyeballs on your project?

Be a computer virus!

rhinboost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »

Basically you are getting more exposure in these hashtags (#gamedev , #indiedev), so more developers see your post, who are definitely not your target audience, if you are promoting your game. Sure you will get some follows/likes/RTs, but that is not equals to sales.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

Yeah, but do actual people follow them?  Do they have any useful purpose in getting more eyeballs on your project?

yes

(this is pretty easy to find out, tweet w/ or w/out hashtags and check the twitter analytics)

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

Basically you are getting more exposure in these hashtags (#gamedev , #indiedev), so more developers see your post, who are definitely not your target audience, if you are promoting your game. Sure you will get some follows/likes/RTs, but that is not equals to sales.

Then again, if one of these devs retweets, their fans that may be interested in game I'm making will probably see that.

Be a computer virus!

stevej
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »

I always figure, why NOT include the tags. Can't hurt?

rhinboost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:08:22 AM »

Then again, if one of these devs retweets, their fans that may be interested in game I'm making will probably see that.

Most of the devs (if any) retweet your content, there is a big chance that their followers are also game devs.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »

I wonder sometimes if people are starting to tune out these hashtags.  Although they can be legitimately useful when trawling twitter for inspiration.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »

I'd say about 80% of my followers are bots.
HypnoPig
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »

I got some bots following me but then i notice them unfollow sometimes if i dont post for a while. I have managed to get some real human followers from it though. But I've not done too much and am pretty new to twitter.
xinasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »

It's not going to be the big blast of attention you want, but it's not going to hurt either. I'd say use them and try to get picked up by bots just in case things do blow up.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »

Twitter is, as far as I can tell, pretty worthless for games marketing.

King Machine wasn't widely retweeted, but across all tweets in the month around launch potentially reached roughly 100K users (which isn't the same as them all actually seeing those tweets - that's counting a RT to 1000 followers as +1000).

From those ~100K potential views, backend analytics identified an extra 1 sale. That's one unit, not 1%.

xinasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »

Twitter is, as far as I can tell, pretty worthless for games marketing.

King Machine wasn't widely retweeted, but across all tweets in the month around launch potentially reached roughly 100K users (which isn't the same as them all actually seeing those tweets - that's counting a RT to 1000 followers as +1000).

From those ~100K potential views, backend analytics identified an extra 1 sale. That's one unit, not 1%.

Do you mean that you got 100K impressions in total? Or that you just got attention from accounts whose total followership is 100K?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic