Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:13:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 37 [theme: ONE ROOM] (Dec 9-12)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 37 [theme: ONE ROOM] (Dec 9-12)  (Read 16859 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:34:23 AM »

Disregard all the below. Submissions are going up on the old site (http://ludumdare.com/compo/) after all!

Starting the thread a little earlier this time to give you a heads up!

Hand Point Right This LD will run on a new website and you need to reregister your account! Hand Point Left

LD manager PoV has written up a lot of info in this post. Seems there won't be any ratings/judging this time either.

Registration and alpha testing of the new platform here: https://ldjam.com/

Copypasted explanation of LD from last thread*:

You vote for a theme (or you don't and just accept the theme that wins in the end) in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game (48 hours is referred to as compo and 72 as jam and they have different rules — jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team — so make sure you read the rules on the website first).

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating (commenting?) them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings (comments?) yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings (comments?) at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Finally, link (you need to register on the site to be able to vote and submit, so I recommend doing this in good time before having to post your game): http://ludumdare.com/compo/ https://ldjam.com/

Remember that you need to host your game yourself — the LD website does not provide this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

* Maybe some of this info will be outdated on the new platform; we'll have to see!

The best properly official Twitter hashtag these days seems to be #LDJAM, even if you're doing the compo.

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:47:32 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

Thanks!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

Hope I can take part in this one :D

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 01:39:14 AM »

It took a bit longer, but it's up!

https://ldjam.com/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:06:47 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:54 PM »

Thank for the update on Ludum Dare.

Hadn't realised the new website was already up and being tested so good to get the account opened on it.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

You can start weeding out themes now.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:07:38 AM »

Prepared, registered and as ready as I'll ever be.

The new site looks good, even if it feels a bit shaky that it's not possible to post yet.  Beg

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »

Round 1 of final theme voting is on!

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »

My Word! Oh! This year you can change your vote in previous round after later rounds appear.
Gentleman Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but I like it

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 02:03:06 AM »

I think you could do that before too, and then eventually the old rounds will close, so that you have a few days chance to get to each round in case you forgot or missed one.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

Oh final round! any prediction on what is going to win?
Upgrade yourself seems like a winner to me. (didn't vote for it, but I see mass appeal in that one)
And is it just me or one room always shows up? Maybe it will finally be it's turn!

Nothing really has me, but at least nothing seems particularly bad. Except 5 min and bad guys variant(again).
Very curious what's going to win.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:33:04 AM »

I'm usually disappointed with the final themes. I have a vague memory of only voting + on a few things in the final round last time.

I think the the final voting round looks very promising for this LD. My '+1', '-1', '0' are evenly spread, and I can cope with most things I gave a '-1'. Perhaps something in the slaughtering process has changed under the hood.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »

I'm not sure, but I believe the status on judging now is that it will happen, but not right away since the code isn't done yet, so it will start a week or two after the event, perhaps? Keep your eyes peeled!

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »

Quote from: ldjam.com
Now the other important thing is Judging. Judging will not start immediately after the event ends (as it usually does). But rather than outright cancelling Judging, I hope you agree that Late-Judging is better than no Judging. My safe estimate is it will start the Friday after Ludum Dare, but I will be shooting for much sooner (be forewarned, I might end up sleeping-all-day the Tuesday after Ludum Dare, smile).
(https://ldjam.com/ld37-theme-voting-and-what-to-expect)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »

I'm playing around with p5.js tonight, in potential preparation. If anybody has ever used the Java framework Processing, this is basically a JS port of the same that uses canvas. Really quick to get up and running with some graphics and input and stuff. Creating a couple of classes for animated sprites and so on to get a feeling for how viable this seems before I make a decision. But fun!

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »

Does anyone know if the order that the final round themes meant anything?
I don't think they are by round.

One room
Underground
Only 5 minutes
Control the environment not the characters
Wait, are we the bad guys?
Salvage and repair
Nothing is permanent
Running out of space
Save yourself, not the world
Isolation
Into the unknown
Upgrade yourself
Leave something behind
Chain reaction
Small world
Simplicity

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

No particular order, I believe. Never thought about it. How so? o:

So I dunno if I'll end up using p5.js, but in case anybody wants my boilerplate code that I wrote for it today, here you go:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/12/09/p5-js-experimentation-prep-code-for-all/

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »

Well, Isolation and Chain reaction are from round 3, but Into the unknown, Upgrade yourself and Leave something behind are not.

They may just be in random order and I'm just reading too much into it.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »

One room? ONE ROOM?! ok.
guess the order might have in vote order, since its still ended winning.

(Oh and I guess I was partly right)

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »

The theme is One Room

Even though we just did One Screen just two years ago.

What an awful theme :/

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic