Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:07:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[s]Get / Set in c++?[/s] pointless debate about references and pointers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: [s]Get / Set in c++?[/s] pointless debate about references and pointers  (Read 10897 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2009, 07:06:15 AM »

Intel says no 2003 standard, no export on Windows, Comeau says "as close as you can get" to compliance (can't be bothered to dig deeper). But meh.
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »

Intel says no 2003 standard, no export on Windows, Comeau says "as close as you can get" to compliance (can't be bothered to dig deeper). But meh.

Intel Linux has export, and I believe the Windows version actually has it, but you have to pass an undocumented switch to use it.  Not sure why they did it that way.

What would John Carmack do?
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »

I think the main point to take away is that it doesn't really make sense to argue about nomenclature outside of a specific context, because every language defines them differently. Saying that Java references aren't really references is just silly because well, that's how Java defines references. In fact it seems the general CS term 'reference' actually contains pointers and C++ references as specific examples.

(1) Yes pointer and reference are both synonymous in CS, and context is relevant, which is what I wrote above; but (2) Java intentionally invoked the C++ context in their marketing of Java, which explicitly said "Java has references, not pointers" (remember, this was market sp3ak aimed at executives and decision makers rather than technicians, and often aimed at VB farms that wanted power but for some reason ph34red C or C++ [yes, businesses like that exists, I have even worked at such])l and (3) since we still have to confront the memes started by that FUD it IS relevant to talk about the Java "pointers or references" topic, even as from within a C++ nomenclature. We just need to remember SciFi-nerd sayings meanwhile, like Bab5's "truth is a triple-edged sword" (side A's version, B's, and reality). Silly, yes, but not as you imply, but rather in that we have to deal with silly marketing stunts and their legacy within programming and in programming languages.

This is what's wrong: http://xkcd.com/386/

That, and that is is a reasonably stimulating debate. Few debates a boring topic.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic