Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:02:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMatter [PRE-ALPHA DEMO] [PC adventure platformer pixel-art]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Matter [PRE-ALPHA DEMO] [PC adventure platformer pixel-art]  (Read 10149 times)
haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »

Update Hand Any Key

For whoever is aware of these updates, sorry for taking that long, its been busy times

I made a pre-pre-pre-alpha nightly 0.0.0.0.1 version of.... Matter teaser trailer! Toast Left

Music by Navie D.

Currently working on: Matter -> Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »

This is so cool ...

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

This is so cool ...

Thank you man! It needs SFX, tho, and a weird bug with a UI modal not wanting to leave, I'm working on that

Update Hand Any Key

Since the last time, I'm playing with sprite lights, a tool I used before to fake lighting without actually using Unity lights. I need to check performance gain, since each matter unit requires 1 light, and you can generate a max of 30 matter units approx before the device explode, so I tested using 30 pixel lights and performance dropped significantly, like... I couldn't play at all, however I like this sprite lights system, I feel this opens the level design to more creativity

Sprite lights are a system created by the guys of Prime31 https://github.com/prime31/SpriteLightKit

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »

Update Hand Any Key

Testing, testing, testing! I got some players to play Matter, young people between 8 and 18 years old, some of them were not actually gamers, so platformers were not too familiar to them, which is good because I noticed How. Difficult. Is. Matter. At least currently for a newbie...

It was too difficult to move around with the matter device, the players got the trick, but then it was waaaay harder to move objects using matter, while being aware of matter decay and device overload, however some of them didn't give up, they wanted to continue and beat the level, I loved that attachment and commitment to the game  but I do need to create more levels between the ones I have created, levels that makes them learn step by step the most basic mechanics, mechanics that I considered obvious or already explained or mastered in previous levels or challenges, and most important, levels that trains them and actually masters them, is not an issue of knowing how to beat the level or solve the puzzle, is an issue of dexterity and agility, they figure out how to solve the puzzle, but they can't actually solve it because they are not agile enough to place matter quickly below them when falling, or they don't notice they are using too much matter and just before they solve the puzzle, the device explodes or the matter-let the player is standing on decays and player falls into toxic water, now I notice that some games are long not because of hours of gameplay, but they need to train the player with simpler levels.

I know this might sound like... "no shit sherlock" obviously games should be easy at the beginning and become more difficult in the time, yep... what I just figured out is that Matter is just too difficult too soon, I think each level I created is balanced, but the game itself is not, because I haven't created enough levels to master the player... or , they might be, for some gamers that have been playing platformers for years, like me... I do want teens and maybe even kids form maybe 8 years to be able to play Matter, so I have to make it easier at the beginning (err... let's discuss the bloody ways of dying and showing that to kids later  Evil )

That's not all, this game is urging for more graphic ways to show things, for example toxic water is often confused with floor, they jump into and die, also I have like 2 ways of showing that matter is overloading, but it doesn't seem to be enough, it needs SFX so the player not only sees, but hears something is gonna happen if he continues to place matter

I guess these incoming weeks would be dedicated to fixing these game design issues

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:09 PM »

Update Hand Any Key

Well.. not exactly an update, or at least I thought it would be one, but I think I won't be using this

I'm trying to learn the dark magic of shaders

I'm trying to make a camera shader that takes a depth map from another camera, blends it with the lights and the main camera render, but making the depth map to render sprites depth without making sprites to use a diffuse material seems to be something out of my knowledge

This is my trial and error shader  Cheesy

I think I won't use this because when I finally achieved the blend, the difference was not that much, it even looked worse than before, I did this because I wanted lights to be less affected by farther objects, however there is no noticeable difference, it might be becasue the material the sprite is using, so I need to make a shader that behaves like sprites  but gives Z depth info to the camera, I was not able to achieve that so far, and if this actually won't give any aesthetic improvement, this is not worth the time

Oh BTW I updated the opening therad with a fixed version of the pre-alpha teaser and some summary info so the new people can read more about my game without reading all the stuff I've posted.. which at this point is not that much, but if I can make things easier to new people that might find this game interesting, I'll do  Tongue

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »

A bit of story behind this abandoned world.

He has fallen in an unknown dangerous and alien place. This place used to be inhabited by intelligent beings which presence cannot be noticed so far. This civilization seems to be obsessed with hexagonal patterns, many of their buildings are based on hexagonal bricks, and the matter device itself only can generate matter in a hexagonal bridge unless used close to powerful chemicals.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic