Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:10:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNebula Wander - Universe exploration
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nebula Wander - Universe exploration  (Read 6008 times)
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:38:58 AM »

Hey guys!

I've been working on NW on my spare time for the past five months or so. Smiley
https://www.nebulawander.com

On Nebula Wander you are a planet with a turbine navigating through the universe. While you explore, collect resources mining asteroids, build your planet and discover different areas! But be aware, you will have to protect yourself from others who will try to steal your resources.

It will be multiplafrom. Starting with IOS. You can play it through with only one finger but you may want to use more to maneuver the planet while defending against enemies.

I work with Tech Art, so I try to take the most out of opportunities to test new shaders and fx ideas.
Here are some:

Faking normal maps on mobile for the asteroids:

Building:

Working on color transitions for different areas of the universe (sorry about the cursor haha):

When enemies spawn everything changes color:

Screenshots:

Thanks for checking Nebula Wander  Smiley! I'm constantly trying to improve it, so any input info is golden.  Coffee
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:58:26 PM by Juliano » Logged

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »

Oh I'm not too into mobile games but this looks really pretty! Check out Orbitor if you want some inspiration, it's dead now but it was a nice looking game. Might give you some ideas. Best of luck with development!

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:36:47 PM »

Oh I'm not too into mobile games but this looks really pretty! Check out Orbitor if you want some inspiration, it's dead now but it was a nice looking game. Might give you some ideas. Best of luck with development!

Thanks! Orbitor looks like a great reference! Elegant and visually stunning! :D

I've started to work on replacing the current weapons for organic-like defenses. So the planet will probably be all organic.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:10:04 AM by Juliano » Logged

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »

How do you deal with the pentagon tiles on the shere? Are they unavailable, or are there alternate graphics for those tiles?
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »

How do you deal with the pentagon tiles on the shere? Are they unavailable, or are there alternate graphics for those tiles?

They double my production time on the assets on top of the planet. Hahah yeah Tongue
I try to separate the top part so I can make things like weapons be mostly the same asset on both shapes, but since I'm doing everything organic it kinda doesn't work that well.

The funny thing is that I was working on a soccer game (Superstar Soccer Goal) and I did like a ton of different model of balls for the game. So when I started on NW the planet was pretty much another soccer ball.

@Shipright, Have you been struggling with a similar problem?

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

Hey everyone! Just finished the website: www.nebulawander.com You can subscribe to be reminded about the announcement Smiley

Some stuff I've been working on:
Made a friend who will help you through your journey

I played in the meantime with post processing, so here's a zoomed in version of the screenshot to show some features, like chromatic aberration:

Image based distortion on the corners to give a painterly look:

Made an inverted normal mapped transparent shader for the clouds above the planet, optimized for mobile. So I placed a point light on the planet to give the impression of blue bounced light on the clouds. (I increased the light contrast to show it here)

Also, I think would be cool to show a breakdown of the universe, here's a screenshot of the scene:

The clouds around the camera are round meshes only shown near the viewpoint, so we don't have to worry much about fillrate. There's also a screenspace texture affecting the alpha of these so they are never opaque on the center of the screen, never hiding the planet.

Here I pointed out the main elements:

The universe is a simple sphere with a texture, it rotates on the opposing way of the planet's direction to give the impression of movement. There are some small stars mapped into this sphere as well like a detail map, so they look sharp and fill the whole mesh. The stars near the planet are particle systems attached to the camera.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »

I really like the idea of playing as a planet itself, and the graphics looks surprisingly touching considering there are no characters. I guess a living planet is in some ways much more endearing than a spaceship. Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »

I think your interpretation of space is lovely. The artwork is so nice.

Making a customization sphere like this, and then one of the segments is actually a jet, is a brilliant idea. It's so fun and cute to see a childish concept like this realized.

I'd like to see more footage though!
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 05:26:54 AM »

Wow it's amazingly beautiful '_' I love the technical details about visuals, very inspiring (although I couldn't reapply them)!

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:16:01 AM »

This looks beautiful! Looking forward to playing this. Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »

I agree with everyone above. Looks amazing, and has a good ethereal feel to it. ^__^

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »

I really like the idea of playing as a planet itself, and the graphics looks surprisingly touching considering there are no characters. I guess a living planet is in some ways much more endearing than a spaceship. Smiley

Thank you!  Grin Grin I'm glad you find it touching, I work really hard on this direction trying to get people to empathize with the planet and the game. Smiley

I think your interpretation of space is lovely. The artwork is so nice.

Making a customization sphere like this, and then one of the segments is actually a jet, is a brilliant idea. It's so fun and cute to see a childish concept like this realized.

I'd like to see more footage though!

Thanks!! That child fantasy concept is definitely some of the main guides for the artwork, also it's why I feel confortable making an approach different from a realistic universe. For example, someone may think it's nonsense to have a horizon on the universe, but it works with the game concept.
I'll try to record some footage for the next post! :D

Wow it's amazingly beautiful '_' I love the technical details about visuals, very inspiring (although I couldn't reapply them)!

Thank you! Let me know if you want some help, I love finding technical art solutions! :D

This looks beautiful! Looking forward to playing this. Smiley

Thanks! I'm thinking about making builds targeted for player testing. If you are interested just let me know!

I agree with everyone above. Looks amazing, and has a good ethereal feel to it. ^__^

Thank you! :D

Let's look at some early concepts?

I think would be cool to show some of the process that helped me on the visual part of the project. It's been a year, but it feels like I was struggling with some of the game pillars just now.

Some of the game early sketches! Going traditional helped me a lot visualizing and iterating fast. Tried a bunch of different mediums until could find something that made me think "Thats it!"

Then I tried some digital, these are all rough because I felt that there was no point on polishing it, I would have to model it myself, so the sketches were mainly to get the ideas out of my head and exercise the creative work.

Some island ideas!

This one really helped me through the development. I was reeealy stuck with the visuals before making this drawing.

Hope you like it! Thanks again everyone for contributing with the devlog! Next post will be about gameplay and maybe some footage!  Grin

skanaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »

Hey, this looks cool! Are there any progress with the game? It says Release in 2018 on the web page  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic