Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:29:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Meridian Age
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Meridian Age  (Read 5251 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 05:52:54 AM »

Dude. Please, do NOT change the name because Brits pronounce it oddly. Yes, I realize their version of English predates ours - but it's also the MINORITY when it comes to pronunciation around the world. I taught English in Korea, and have many friends who have taught all over, and the vast majority of schools teach American English.

All that said - if you want to change the name because you think it doesn't quite fit perfectly, by all means Smiley

I don't think it's a bad name - but I agree that it might not be quite fitting for a game, but more for a novel, etc.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
CleanShirt21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:33 AM »

Dude. Please, do NOT change the name because Brits pronounce it oddly. Yes, I realize their version of English predates ours - but it's also the MINORITY when it comes to pronunciation around the world. I taught English in Korea, and have many friends who have taught all over, and the vast majority of schools teach American English.

All that said - if you want to change the name because you think it doesn't quite fit perfectly, by all means Smiley

I don't think it's a bad name - but I agree that it might not be quite fitting for a game, but more for a novel, etc.
Haha I am Australian though, I think we are supposed to follow our convict forefathers! I agree, it is a bit much to change it over such a trivial reason but it just really doesn't sit well with me somehow. I quite like the new title knowing what the game is about, at this stage I will probably keep it. I don't care too much for widespread appeal and sales, though I'll probably regret my choice after release and less than ten people pick the game up ><

#Update 14

I've done a whole lot of work since but I don't want to reveal too much. Finished implementing the first boss, which I think is quite a milestone. Only like a dozen more! Made some great amendments to the dialogue system, it's really easy to create dynamic conversations with characters.

There's been a whole lot of other things implemented since, but one of the more interesting features is the audio engine. There's a few different layers, one for the main track, one for ambient looping sounds, and an override track. The override track is triggered when the playable character collides with a bounding box defined by the track, then sets the main track to the background, tweens it to a minimal volume, while the override track plays on top at a normal volume. Some characters have their own override track that is triggered when you approach them. It works really well!

I also have a multi segment audio track object - Basically this is a track split into various clips, and the game dynamically chooses what order to play them in depending on what some predefined conditions have been set to. I pretty much made this for boss fights, so different parts of the track loop depending what phase of the fight it's in, and to sync events to the beginning of tracks.

CleanShirt21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »

#Update 15

I had implemented an inventory / pause screen in the previous iteration of the game, but I redesigned it and though a lot of the code was reused, there still was a lot of other logic that required implementing. I finally have the ability of proper selection of melee weapons, guns, and general items through the game itself. Was getting sick of hardcoding whatever I needed to test!

I've almost completed the first proper area of the game, which I think is a decent milestone. Still a lot of work to do this week, but hoping I can wrap it up by next Sunday.

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »

loving the inventory screen dude, very smooth. maybe a (low opacity[?]) white outline on the attire items so they stand out more against the dark backgrounds/inventory screen?

CleanShirt21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »

loving the inventory screen dude, very smooth. maybe a (low opacity[?]) white outline on the attire items so they stand out more against the dark backgrounds/inventory screen?
Thanks flex$! Yeah I think you're right,at least for the attire items I might need to find a way to make them stand out more, I think the other icons will probably be bright enough as they are restricted to those two brightish colours anyway!

Update #16

I had implemented a convoluted method of showing player sprites on top of foreground objects involving render targets, posted it to the unity3D subreddit, and a poster suggested a much more efficient and simple method that works great! Not sure how I feel about it, but I ended up switching to use his method!

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »

Looking good. The combat seems like it feels nice and visceral. Very important imo.
CleanShirt21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:22 PM »

Looking good. The combat seems like it feels nice and visceral. Very important imo.
Thanks Joey! It's been one of my goals to make sure that the combat feels tight and weighty.

I've neglected my little devlog here but have been working on the game this whole time, probs even harder!
I've gotten to the stage where I need to put proper sound effects in. It's the only part of the game I am not keen on tackling, and I would love to find a talented sfx artists to help me with this. Watch the video below to get a feel for the game and the soundtrack. I will need around 50 sound effects, perhaps more. Please PM your rates and portfolio. Thanks

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic