Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:02:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeSomeone else made something close....
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Someone else made something close....  (Read 3578 times)
Slapdash
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:54:54 AM »

So what do you guys do when, you thought of something.....you thought man thats a cool idea, start working on it and a month or so later you come across a game thats basically your idea and everyone likes the game etc?

Would you just continue with your game....and run the risk of being called a copycat. (The idea not the look or anything else really)
Would you stop development and work on a more run of the mill idea (Since there are tons of these types og games they are all "copies of the same ideas" anyway).

Surely this must happen a lot. What to do?
Just get over it and carry on?

_glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »

I would carry on, maybe put some fresh ideas into it.
Just remember this fact: Nothing is really new...
TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »

Whoever your worried about copying has probably a few games already made similar to theirs. Every game is probably a copy of something because that's how genres and subgenres are made. as long as youre not using the same graphics you should be good.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

depends what stage of development my game is in and how passionate i am about it
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »

So what do you guys do when, you thought of something.....you thought man thats a cool idea, start working on it and a month or so later you come across a game thats basically your idea and everyone likes the game etc?

Would you just continue with your game....and run the risk of being called a copycat. (The idea not the look or anything else really)
Would you stop development and work on a more run of the mill idea (Since there are tons of these types og games they are all "copies of the same ideas" anyway).

Surely this must happen a lot. What to do?
Just get over it and carry on?

Did this happen to you?

I copied a game about AI copying you and improved upon it drastically over a year ago (still making commits even yesterday). Nothing's original and IMO the Western culture has a weird fetish for "idea people".. as if those people aren't standing on the shoulders of giants. And those giants also borrowed from other people. It's silly, IMO, to give credit only to one person and even their inspiration without acknowledging a huge chain of creative breakthroughs leading to that invention.

Unless, in my slightly sarcastic opinion, you're making a Metroidvania. Indie has scene enough of these Mock Anger

What's your game?

Ditto what Silber said. I cancelled a small project connecting to the LoL API for 2-p ranked matches because Riot came out with it on their own faster than we could develop it. It was a good learning experience nonetheless.

I listened to a GameDevConference talk about MMOs in China - Corp A makes Game A1, then Corp B makes Game B1 which clones A1 and improves upon it. Corp A then makes Game A2 which takes B1's improvements back into their game and adds new one.

Who do you think innovates faster Corp A & B or Westerner keeping their idea secret?

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »

Ha that just happened to me on Headliner, found out there is another game with basically the same idea (Westport Independent). So what did I do? Learn! I checked it out, I read the reviews and Steam feedback, looked at Lets Plays etc. Basically, figure out what worked, what didn't and used it to build on the formula and grow from it, rather than just copy.

I also changed my setting and art style to a different one since it was too close to the other game(s) I was researching.
xzbobzx
Level 0

Yannic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »

"Awesome! I've got competition!"

Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »

try to be better

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Slapdash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »

Did this happen to you?

I copied a game about AI copying you and improved upon it drastically over a year ago (still making commits even yesterday). Nothing's original and IMO the Western culture has a weird fetish for "idea people".. as if those people aren't standing on the shoulders of giants. And those giants also borrowed from other people. It's silly, IMO, to give credit only to one person and even their inspiration without acknowledging a huge chain of creative breakthroughs leading to that invention.

Unless, in my slightly sarcastic opinion, you're making a Metroidvania. Indie has scene enough of these Mock Anger

What's your game?

Ditto what Silber said. I cancelled a small project connecting to the LoL API for 2-p ranked matches because Riot came out with it on their own faster than we could develop it. It was a good learning experience nonetheless.

I listened to a GameDevConference talk about MMOs in China - Corp A makes Game A1, then Corp B makes Game B1 which clones A1 and improves upon it. Corp A then makes Game A2 which takes B1's improvements back into their game and adds new one.

Who do you think innovates faster Corp A & B or Westerner keeping their idea secret?

Yup,
A game, like a lemmings like mechanic but where you are the zombies attacking the people.
Anyway, thanks to the input here I'm just going to re work it later, but it kinda gave me focus on my other project thats a bit simpler thus probably a bit quicker to churn out. I'll then come back to this and re look it.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »

Cool

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic