Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:26:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignI need some ideas for implementing quests in my gamified todo list RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I need some ideas for implementing quests in my gamified todo list RPG  (Read 666 times)
fantomx11
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:31:24 AM »

I have created a game where the main goal, currently, is to kill monsters. Every action (attack, casting a spell, etc.) costs action points. You gain action points by checking items off of a to do list.

I would like to implement a system where there is more than just fighting monsters, but I am having trouble coming up with exactly how that would work, and am hoping to get some ideas.

Here are my thoughts about implementing quests as it currently stands:

• The game is not real-time. Unlike a MMO, not everyone will be actively looking at the game at the same time. So a traditional quest model seems to have difficulties because some people will see the completed quest and be ready to move on to the next thing while others have yet to see it.
  • If there are multiple quests/story options available, who gets to choose what gets done next?

One thought I had was to make it basically a single player game, every one plays the game individually, but they can see how others in their party are doing. This is not my ideal solution. I'd rather have them working together.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:48:56 AM by fantomx11 » Logged
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:39:47 AM »

Make the quests individual activities that have communal outcomes. For example, maybe each player has to gather X ore to complete their individual quest for a small action point payout but if Y ore are gathered in total (i.e. by all players) then a large action point payout is given to all the participating players who had completed their individual quest. It could be a recurring event where the players work together and get the group payout and then it resets so that even if you missed the chance last time around you can get it the next time.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
fantomx11
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »

That's a good idea to add some variety. I should have clarified what I meant by quests.

To me the reason I continue playing an RPG is to discover the next chapter in the story. Killing monsters and levelling up are not great motivators in and of themselves. When I say quest, I meant plot.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »

Same deal. Give each player individual quests that reveal some chunk of the plot and when enough players have completed the quest unlock an even bigger chunk of the plot for all of them. For example, maybe each player has an individual quest that tasks them with locating a crystal stone fragment and when enough players have completed the quest the fragments are put together it forms a key needed to unlock the gate a new region to explore (or something). The point is, each player's progress can also contribute to a communal progression (maybe to open up extra side options and rewards or something).

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »

To add to the group payout idea above:

I'd tie all quests and events to map reveals.  (Like picture a 100x50 tiled fantasy map, all dark with fog-of-war, where the players start in the center and are cooperating to reveal the whole map by traveling.)

Each player has the opportunity to go to an unexplored spot on the map and complete tasks, which may or may not be the spot that other players choose.  Once some quorum of tasks is complete in that spot (whether that's themed as fighting a monster or whatever), the spot is revealed, and players see icons for rewards and/or story.  (Only players that completed tasks in that space are "featured" in the resulting story, and only they get the rewards for completing that story, but anyone can read the resulting story icon to catch up on what happened there.) 

Nothing prevents you from going off on your own in a different direction from all the other players, but there's an incentive to stick around the others because rewards will come to you more frequently if you choose to spend your "tasks" on the same spots other players do.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic